Desk Jobbers, How do You get 10,000+ Steps/day?

Options
I bought a FitBit Zip a little over a week ago and the default "steps" goal is 10,000 but I have yet to break 7k in a single day! I work in an office and 5 days/week I'm literally sitting for 99% of 8+ hours (including my 25 minute each way commute). Any other office workers out there care to share how you upped your number of steps/day?

A couple of important things to note when making suggestions to me:
- My office is in the ghetto so walking on my 30 min. lunch might help my steps/day but it'd also be dangerous.
- My office is very small, fewer than 20 employees total. Walking around aimlessly is frowned upon.

Replies

• BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I walk on both my breaks (12 minutes walking in 15 minute break) and at my lunch (24 minutes walking). This adds up to about 7-8000 steps per day. I still need to start walking my 12 minute route before work. I think that will put me over 10,000 (I also use a fitbit).

Your place of work sounds a bit claustrophobic if you can't walk in the building or outside. What about going on a walk together with some coworkers?
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Truthfully? I'm one of the very few people in my office that sticks around during lunch so having a regular walking partner would be a challenge. The only person I know in the office who would possibly be interested takes her lunch outside of the office every day (probably because of that claustrophobic feeling you mentioned lol) and typically runs errands during her lunch and eats at her desk before leaving. Also, I'm 10+ years younger than everyone else... makes for not much in common as far as striking up conversation on a walk together.

I have a can of pepper spray that I bring on walks with me at parks or when I walk the dog alone but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that being my only means of defense in my office's neighborhood.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I hit it hard at the gym...
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I hit it hard at the gym...

I've been considering a gym membership (haven't had one in 2-3 years)... Haven't found a gym that makes me swoon though. Most around my area are overcrowded chain gyms and I'd be working out during peak after work hours.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have an office with a door? If you can find a little privacy ... try this at lunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

There are also DVDs - low impact - so it will be quiet. So basic - you can mute the volume & use an MP3 player with ear buds.

The DVDs are great when I want to "walk" after dark (or when it's raining/snowing outside).
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and 5 days/week I'm literally sitting for 99% of 8+ hours (including my 25 minute each way commute). Any other office workers out there care to share how you upped your number of steps/day?

I run in the morning before work because the only workout I get here is getting up to walk to the restroom.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I work in an office for 8-9 hours a day. I have been wearing a pedometer this last week due to a chanllenge our insurance company put out for us all to walk 10,000 steps a day.

On an average day at work, I walk about 4,000 steps (i just learned since wearing this little device). I don't call or email anyone in my office, I get up and walk over to their desk and talk to them. I am on the phone ALOT. I stand up and pace around my office while I am on the phone. I have all glass walls, so my co-workers think I am nuts, but I don't care.

We only have 12 people in our office, so size wise, we are similar. I park a block away from work and walk the rest. I get up as much as I can.

I mentioned that I have been wearing this pedometer for about a week now, I average between 11,000 to 12,000 steps a day. I don't wear this while I am working out (unless that workout is a walk with my doggies).

It is do-able. You just have to make up your mind to move.
  • melsmith612
    Options
    Do you have an office with a door? If you can find a little privacy ... try this at lunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

There are also DVDs - low impact - so it will be quiet. So basic - you can mute the volume & use an MP3 player with ear buds.

The DVDs are great when I want to "walk" after dark (or when it's raining/snowing outside).

I do have a door! My coworkers tend to just open it after knocking but they get what they get when that happens! :laugh:

Thanks for the link! Does walking in place work with the FitBit? Anyone know?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I turned my regular desk into a standing desk by putting my monitor on books and my keyboard on a board on boxes. Not only does it 'count' as steps, it just increases my circulation.

I walk to and from work - morning, afternoon, and half the time for lunch.

I walk up and down stairs a zillion times a day.

And I have to walk an extra 3 miles anyway to get them in.

My doctor says it is highly unusual to get 10K in without doing specific extra walking. All the admin assistants around here walk during break and at lunch.
  • FluffyNoMore26
    FluffyNoMore26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What about walking in place when no one is looking>
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch and then run 4-5 miles when I get home. This usually puts me at 15000 steps per day, sometimes close to 20. I know the bad neighborhood thing though - I live in a bad neighborhood and I don't run after dark.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I only do stairs when going to different floors - and my friend and I normally go for a 4-mile walk (not running yet) for our hour long lunch. Even with the bad weather, our office basement is like a track as it circles the entire building. it works and we normally go everyday Monday-Friday. The difficult part is going when the other isn't in the office that day, I freaking missed today due to OBE.
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I work in an office for 8-9 hours a day. I have been wearing a pedometer this last week due to a chanllenge our insurance company put out for us all to walk 10,000 steps a day.

On an average day at work, I walk about 4,000 steps (i just learned since wearing this little device). I don't call or email anyone in my office, I get up and walk over to their desk and talk to them. I am on the phone ALOT. I stand up and pace around my office while I am on the phone. I have all glass walls, so my co-workers think I am nuts, but I don't care.

We only have 12 people in our office, so size wise, we are similar. I park a block away from work and walk the rest. I get up as much as I can.

I mentioned that I have been wearing this pedometer for about a week now, I average between 11,000 to 12,000 steps a day. I don't wear this while I am working out (unless that workout is a walk with my doggies).

It is do-able. You just have to make up your mind to move.

I may have to just start getting on the treadmill before my shower in the mornings, even if it's only 15 minutes. My office isn't quite big enough for pacing and I'm workng primarily on a computer so it doesn't travel as well as a phone (unfortunately because I am a phone pacer!)
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I walk at lunch and then run 4-5 miles when I get home. This usually puts me at 15000 steps per day, sometimes close to 20. I know the bad neighborhood thing though - I live in a bad neighborhood and I don't run after dark.

I wouldn't walk more than from one building to the next in this neighborhood in daylight... imagine a wharf, scrap metal recycling yard, strip clubs, a homeless shelter, and free medical clinic all within about 1/2 mile. It's a fairly regular thing for cars parked in front of our building to be hit or have their license plates stolen. I don't even wear my complete wedding band set to work because it'd make me a target.
  • ilanawithani
    Options
    If you do 20 minutes on the treadmill before your shower, at a 3.0 mph pace, that is a mile before your day has even "begun." Try it out and see how you like it.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I wouldn't walk more than from one building to the next in this neighborhood in daylight... imagine a wharf, scrap metal recycling yard, strip clubs, a homeless shelter, and free medical clinic all within about 1/2 mile. It's a fairly regular thing for cars parked in front of our building to be hit or have their license plates stolen. I don't even wear my complete wedding band set to work because it'd make me a target.

I'd be looking for a new job!
  • ilanawithani
    Options
    If you do 20 minutes on the treadmill before your shower, at a 3.0 mph pace, that is a mile before your day has even "begun." Try it out and see how you like it.

I left out that you should have at least a 1.0 incline. Anything less isn't good for the shins and you won't feel it until you hit about 3.0, I like to walk at 1.5 or 2.0
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I'd be looking for a new job!

I would have to agree. I hope that they are paying quite well, because we all know that you are not staying for the location!!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You will have to walk before or after work, sounds like it is not going to happen there. But if you spend a lot of time on the phone and you do not need to be on the computer, then pace while you are on phone...
  • quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from office.