you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• jeannelawrie
    jeannelawrie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and am actually starting to really love running. I come home from a long day at work and can't wait to change my clothes and get out and run.

Thank you all of the great info in this thread!!!!!
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This has been an awesome thread to read. I'm saving it for later. :)
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Bump... can't wait to read
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Anther point, is if you snooze you loose. I go a few weeks without running, I have to build my endure back up :-(
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Find your soundtrack, be it music, nature, an audio book, or a podcast, find something that makes you run longer. (I did all of my longest runs to audio books because they distracted me from my running/boredom.)

Soak your feet after a run, baby your feet.

Your mind is a big fat liar. You can do, you aren't weak, you are a runner, you can push to the next marker, you got this.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    And one thing I've noticed is-- those running in the streets. And I'm genuinely interested as to why. Why not run on the sidewalk? Is it due to cars coming in and out of driveways? That is what I'm assuming.
    I run in the street in neighborhoods where the sidewalks dip at every driveway - hate running on that uneven section every few feet!

Can't think of anything else to add to what's been said - great stuff everyone!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I'm just starting to run myself. And one thing I've noticed is-- those running in the streets. And I'm genuinely interested as to why. Why not run on the sidewalk?

It might not be apparent, but the street is significantly softer than the sidewalk, and that eventually accumulates to quite a difference on your knees. It's still not an ideal surface to train on, but it beats concrete big time.
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

I'm just starting to run myself. And one thing I've noticed is-- those running in the streets. And I'm genuinely interested as to why. Why not run on the sidewalk?

It might not be apparent, but the street is significantly softer than the sidewalk, and that eventually accumulates to quite a difference on your knees. It's still not an ideal surface to train on, but it beats concrete big time.
    Yep, that too! Thankfully the majority of my running route is on dirt.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I love this thread.
  • goodbekah27
    Options
    bump
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

-The human body can survive for 2 to 3 days without water, in most cases, you don't *need* it on training runs

I agree with most of what Carsten says except for this. If you want a killer headache after a long run (13-18+ miles), then sure, don't plan to drink anything (or finish that run running, really).
    Cheers
    My running wisdom: Don't run with headphones for each run. The power of music wears off after a while.
  • Zoggy3333
    Zoggy3333 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    My running wisdom: Don't run with headphones for each run. The power of music wears off after a while.
    Agreed! Sometimes it's very freeing to cut out all the extras - the music, the programs, the tracking apps, and just run!
  • mitaylors
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Stretching.html

http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Inflexibilities.html#anchor13320380

Don't really know how to reply and have them show up as originally written, but I love these links! Good info there.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    425, 325, and 525 what?
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You will amaze yourself at how many times you can make yourself believe the same lie. When running the same route too many times, 'I can walk after this next tree, then changed to the next tree, and the next until you have run the full route without stopping' its hard to continue believing your own lies."

I have one route that every time I run it, I have to wonder, "Am I gonna fall for it again, or will I see through my own lies?"

:bigsmile: :blushing: :laugh:
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Be aware that you will have good patches and bad patches in every run. I expect to feel rotten for the first 10 minutes and then feel awesome. Some days I'll feel bad about 6kms in but I know if I keep going it will wear off and I'll feel awesome again after another 1 or 2 kms. I used to walk when I felt bad but now I know it will pass and if I keep going I will feel like I'm flying again soon.
  • _jen
    _jen Posts: 11
    Options

- Read "Born to Run."

To which I would add, LISTEN to "Born to Run"! Or, whatever works for you - I love a bit a Springsteen to run to, others may prefer Beyonce, but listening to music you love has been shown to produce increased speed and endurance.

Also, another good runners' read is "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by the novelist/marathon runner/triathlete Haruki Murakami.

PS Great thread, everyone. Just what I needed before my first 5K tomorrow!