Weigh Ins

Options
How often do you all weigh in? I've heard a mix of daily and weekly and am wondering what the logic is behind these thoughts!
Thanks

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Never daily!!! That is nothing but disappointing and discouraging!! You weight can fluctuate daily, bloat, water weight, etc. Personally I go every 2 weeks or even a month, then I am sure to always see results.
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Never daily!!! That is nothing but disappointing and discouraging!! You weight can fluctuate daily, bloat, water weight, etc. Personally I go every 2 weeks or even a month, then I am sure to always see results.

I agree.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself up to 4 times a day. lol. just because i am curious.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    That I've noticed, most places recommend you weigh once a week, the same time of day, the same day of the week.

Some people will weigh daily because they like to see how their eating habits effect them on a day to day basis. The only problem with this is water retention. If you have a lot of sodium, you'll retain the water that you drank the day before and can possibly be heavier.

Some people think that weighing daily can make you go crazy because it does fluctuate depending on if you went to the bathroom, sodium, etc

Personally, I weigh every day, just because I'm curious...and right now since I'm in the beginning stages I'm losing daily (mostly water weight I'm sure).
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me is more than enough. Saturday A.M
    I don't need to see the daily ups & downs -I have enough agitta from daily stresses in life that I don't need to add fractions of ounces to it.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher. I need the accountablity and I know not to get discouraged over a slight increase as it is usually gone by the next day!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Sunday morning. I do it weekly because daily is discouraging with all the fluctuations. I chose Sunday because it keeps me accountable for not overeating on the weekend. :wink:
  • yorkiemom0820
    yorkiemom0820 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ONCE A MONTH! DON'T WANT TO DISCOURAGE MYSELF IF I DIDN'T LOSE. IF I LOSE IN A MONTH, PUSHES ME MORE THE NEXT MONTH! GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in once a week, Saturday mornings. More than that and I get upset at the normal fluctuations.
  • MerBear1FL
    Options
    I officially "log" my Saturday morning weight. However, I tend to weigh daily but only to see if I am maintaining the weight from the previous weigh in. I have found that I don't see movement on the scales till Thursdays for a Saturday weigh in. For some reason it works that way for me.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily, to see how what I eat/drink etc affects me. BUT I only log once a week, on Mondays in the morning, first thing when I wake up after using the restroom. Works for me :happy:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I am currently weighing weekly. I prefer to weigh myself on the same day (Saturday) when I first get up.

I am in the club of not weighing daily since your weight can fluctuate so much from day to day and even throughout the day.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself once a week. I used to be glued to the scale, but that was adding stress in my life. I tried even weighing myself once a month to see bigger result, but then I found the weight creeping back up.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Daily in the morning. Sometimes at night too before I go to bed. I have to monitor my weight frequently because it helps me understand if i ate ok or not. It keeps me on track. But my official weight date and record day is Monday. it keeps me from piggy out in the weekend.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Im a daily, but I also know when Ive eaten too much sodium or had a bad day- take it in stride and use the average for the week....
  • MaleyaB
    MaleyaB Posts: 25
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Thursday nights after working out. We usually only have time to work out at night (plus, there's an 80% chance that we will have the gym to ourselves), and we use their scale. When I changed my calorie intake (meaning upping my calories), I weighed myself in the middle of the week (didn't log it though) just to see if there were any significant changes from the calorie change. I don't feel like weighing myself every day would be beneficial because there wouldn't be a huge change, so I do it weekly. Kudos for the people who try monthly-- I don't think I could wait that long.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Like another poster, I weigh multiple times a day just to see how my body fluctuates. I don't get upset at the fluctuations, though. It's kind of like a science experiment!

My check-in weighs are always in the morning if I have a new low weight. Regardless, I write each morning's weight in my planner calendar so I can keep track of the overall trend.

It works for me, I'm not obsessive, and I now have a cool graph!
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    I don't bother! I know I'm eating the right things and doing the right amount of training.
    Used to be awful for it and weigh myself a couple of times a week but got myself out of that mindset and decided I would focus on how I look rather than what the scales say.
  • Pauly187
    Pauly187 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find once a week on Friday morning when I wake up to be the best. I allow a little less discipline Friday/Saturday if it comes up, then back to strick discipline for the rest of the week. Also try to work out on Saturday mornings so I can eat a tad more if I go out.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after using the bathroom. I like seeing the fluctuations because it lets me know how certain foods/beverages affect my water retention. After doing this for several months, I can usually predict how many pounds I'll gain if I eat this, that, or the other thing, and I know how long it will take to remove that water weight. It helps keep me disciplined, as in, "Is this dinner really worth stalling my weight loss for four days?"

My official weigh-in is on Wednesdays.

Some people can't handle daily weigh-ins, but those of us who like playing with data and causation/correlation don't let it affect our mood. Gaining two pounds of water weight doesn't send me into a binge or make me want to give up; I just drink more water, exercise a little more, and see the number drop 3-4 pounds the next week. No biggie. It isn't a race.