Can organic food help you lose weight?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Compared calorie for calorie there's no difference, but your health and probably your weight will definitely benefit from eating organic.

If there's no difference in energy value then how can there be a weight related benefit?

Organic foods are not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. HFCS in particular is being increasingly linked to disproportionate weight gain in genetically susceptible individuals. So that's one way in which no difference in energy value translates to weight-related benefit, if you're among the sensitive population.

Organic foods are not fed on antibiotic-enriched feeds. The purpose of antibiotics in animal feed is not to treat illness, it is to promote weight gain. Livestock farmers have known for years that antibiotics are linked to weight gain, but for some reason we missed for a long time that this might also be related to disproportionate weight gain in humans. I don't know that anyone yet has directly linked antibiotic residues in meat to weight gain in humans -- most of the work being done links direct human antibiotic consumption (when you take antibiotics to treat an illness) to weight gain (and most of that research is right now being done in children -- the link between children, antibiotics and unhealthy weight gain) -- but it wouldn't surprise me if that has an effect.

Organic foods contain much lower levels of estrogen mimics -- chemicals that mimic the action of estrogen (a hormone) in the body, which can also contribute to disproportionate (disproportionate to calories consumed) weight gain. rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone) given to dairy cows is one such example. There's no direct evidence that human exposure to rBGH through dairy products correlates with disproportionate weight gain, however, the reason there's no such evidence is that this has not actually been studied. I started buying organic milk when the FDA decided to allow rBGH in dairy cows, because they really have not studied the long-term safety of it, and I did not want them experimenting on my then-18-month-old-daughter (she's 12 now). Another estrogen mimic that is ubiquitous in our food supply is BPA (bis-phenol A), which is used in the linings of canned products, most notably soft drinks but also canned fruits, meats and vegetables. This one, you can't avoid by going organic -- it's in the organic canned foods, too -- and it's in some plastics. So, going organic doesn't avoid everything, but if you quit drinking canned sodas and start eating organic meat and dairy, you lose a lot of those exposures.

That's how, even on a calorie-equivalent basis, "going organic" could have weight-related benefits.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    They pump the meats we eat with growth hormones to make them grow bigger, faster. Those hormones go into our bodies as well when we eat the food. It is all about mass production and the all mighty dollar for the consumer. Plus they fill the beef with all sorts of antibiotics which are not healthy for us either. I do not eat organic meat, but I am thinking seriously about switching. I know it is expensive, but I want to be healthy. Really, it would be wise and more affordable to become a vegetarian and not eat meat and get your protein from beans and other foods. But I like meat and I don't know if I could do that. It is your choice, good luck with your weight loss journey and whatever you decide.
    Growth hormones are illegal in animals grown for meat, and have been for decades now. As for antibiotics, irrelevant. I'd rather an animal be treated for an illness, rather than allowed to be sickly. Which meat do you think would be healthier? And why are antibiotics bad? Don't you take them when you are ill? Ever use hand sanitizer?

Antibiotic use is actually linked to weight gain. We've known for a long time that it increases weight in livestock, that's why it's in animal feed. But now they're finding that it can cause weight gain in humans, too, most likely through the mechanism of radically altering your normal flora (the bacteria that live in your gut and help to digest your food). Treating animals for illness I don't object to. Lacing their feed with antibiotics so they'll fatten up for market better, I do object to, because it's contributing to the creation of superbugs (bacteria that are resistant to all classes of antibiotics), which is potentially more dangerous to humans than the current obesity epidemic.

As an MPH (public health professional) I find that very worrisome.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Compared calorie for calorie there's no difference, but your health and probably your weight will definitely benefit from eating organic.

If there's no difference in energy value then how can there be a weight related benefit?

Organic foods are not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. HFCS in particular is being increasingly linked to disproportionate weight gain in genetically susceptible individuals. So that's one way in which no difference in energy value translates to weight-related benefit, if you're among the sensitive population.

Organic foods are not fed on antibiotic-enriched feeds. The purpose of antibiotics in animal feed is not to treat illness, it is to promote weight gain. Livestock farmers have known for years that antibiotics are linked to weight gain, but for some reason we missed for a long time that this might also be related to disproportionate weight gain in humans. I don't know that anyone yet has directly linked antibiotic residues in meat to weight gain in humans -- most of the work being done links direct human antibiotic consumption (when you take antibiotics to treat an illness) to weight gain (and most of that research is right now being done in children -- the link between children, antibiotics and unhealthy weight gain) -- but it wouldn't surprise me if that has an effect.

Organic foods contain much lower levels of estrogen mimics -- chemicals that mimic the action of estrogen (a hormone) in the body, which can also contribute to disproportionate (disproportionate to calories consumed) weight gain. rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone) given to dairy cows is one such example. There's no direct evidence that human exposure to rBGH through dairy products correlates with disproportionate weight gain, however, the reason there's no such evidence is that this has not actually been studied. I started buying organic milk when the FDA decided to allow rBGH in dairy cows, because they really have not studied the long-term safety of it, and I did not want them experimenting on my then-18-month-old-daughter (she's 12 now). Another estrogen mimic that is ubiquitous in our food supply is BPA (bis-phenol A), which is used in the linings of canned products, most notably soft drinks but also canned fruits, meats and vegetables. This one, you can't avoid by going organic -- it's in the organic canned foods, too -- and it's in some plastics. So, going organic doesn't avoid everything, but if you quit drinking canned sodas and start eating organic meat and dairy, you lose a lot of those exposures.

That's how, even on a calorie-equivalent basis, "going organic" could have weight-related benefits.
    Wait, what? Are you saying farmers inject non-organic vegetables with high fructose corn syrup? Are you confusing the term "organic" with the term "processed?" Also, saying "part of the sensitive population" is a HUGE caveat. You could substitute just about any food for high fructose corn syrup and make the same statement and have it be equally valid.
  • jenbusick
    Options

Wait, what? Are you saying farmers inject non-organic vegetables with high fructose corn syrup? Are you confusing the term "organic" with the term "processed?" Also, saying "part of the sensitive population" is a HUGE caveat. You could substitute just about any food for high fructose corn syrup and make the same statement and have it be equally valid.

Fair enough: that statement applies only to processed foods. And I said "part of the sensitive population" because that's what the studies are, in fact, finding -- there are, in fact, genetic sensitivities in play here. For someone who is genetically sensitive, this could in fact make a large difference.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Tiger's word,

You said: "Exactly what do xenoestrogens have to do with SUGAR? I've been talking to you about sugar, not the pesticides."

My response: Check the topic of the thread. But pesticides are not the only problem. A number of us are concerned about the adulteration of the food supply with man-made chemicals by giant corporations that care a LOT more about profits than the health of their customers. Sugar is just another chemical additive. Just because it has been around for a while does not mean that it is wholesome or safe to consume in large quantities. HFCS is an even worse product than is sugar in that it is put in a wide variety of "foods" because it is very cheap to produce and appears to have addictive properties for the human population that is consuming it. It also seems to have some very serious affects on the liver of test subjects. Take a cruise through the grocery store and check ingredient labels. You will find a shocking number of foods that have HFCS as an ingredient. We have an epidemic of endocrine disorders of one type or another and it is highly unlikely that it is as simple as eating too much/exercising too little. I will ask you one question: Why do you think that the mega-rich eat only organic food?

Tiger's word said: "If you're going to question someone's literacy, you should make sure that your reading comprehension is actually correct first. Then again, I guess it's just easier to insult someone by talking about a completely unrelated topic, rather than actually read what has been written."

My response: It was pertinent to the wider application of the OP. The unifying theme is the tainting of the food supply by enormous food conglomerates and the affect of that contamination on weight (and, by extension, health).

Tiger's word said: "Also, if you're going to question someone's "medical literacy," how do you expect to maintain any sense of credibility when you quote wikipedia? Wikipedia is never a valid academic source."

My response: I wasn't aware that we were having an "academic" discussion. In any case, I'm not an anti-Wikipedia snob--a great many of the articles are written by professionals in the fields on which they are writing. In any case, I grabbed the first few articles on the subject that I saw. I was merely trying to interest you in informing your opinion. Recall that I also suggested that you Google some articles for yourself.

Tiger's word said: "But then, if you WANT to quote Wikipedia, from the VERY SAME ARTICLE, 'The results do not support with certainty the view that environmental estrogens contribute to an increase in male reproductive disorders, neither do they provide sufficient grounds to reject such a hypothesis.' So, there's no conclusive evidence whether they are actually dangerous or not. More research needed."

My response: That is the way any scientific research paper ends---"More research is needed." That does not mean that there is not something there---but that more research is needed to try to verify the results of previous studies. There is definitely more research needed but the evidence is beginning to stack up on the side of the assertion that man-made chemicals are causing disease in the human population of the planet.

Tiger's word said: "You're picking and choosing only the portions and citations that fit your preconceived notions..."

My response: No, I had no "pre-conceived notions". I investigated for myself---instead of assuming that "...all is well" The medical establishment has been worried about the effects of man-made chemicals for some time---and now, the research data is affirming that they had reason to be worried.
  • ladygrly
    ladygrly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...I just had to reply to this post. A couple weeks ago I started eating only organic and oddly I started losing weight (when before I was stuck). It's so weird because the type of food I eat is really similar... I am just buying the hormone and pesticide free stuff. I don't know...I am beginning to wonder if my weight loss is related to eating clean.
  • scottyrunner
    Options
    Organic food has been scientifically proven to offer no measurable benefit to ones diet..

however it will have a significant impact on your wallet.

i can provide sources if you wish, or you can take my word for it.

your friend has unfortunately fallen victim to the cloud of misinformation surrounding organic food.

LOL So Correct Here ^^^

There have been studies and numerous articles in recent weeks stating no Benefits to eating or Buying Organic except decreased funds in your bank account

None at all hey? What about the benefit of better paid workers, less exploitation of the workers, less sponging the agri land from other local habitats... If pesticide ridden non organic produce is so good how come workers on non organic farms are head to toe in protective gear (if they are lucky) and then go home to where they have mini organic gardens? and what about non organic banana farms in South America. Planes drop their chemicals from above over farms and farmers wearing no protective gear. These farmers are reproducing a large quantity of babies with whom are severely disfigured. This is all ok though because it does not affect us directly?

It is more expensive for the dieter who is trying to lose weight but still eats a tonne! We spend the same on organic food as we did on other food as we are more aware of what we eat and how much. Whether the nutrients are more so or not... it tastes divine and makes me feel better to know I'm not supporting awful working environments that sponge the local people and wildlife.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience...

Processed foods makes me more hungry more frequently.
    Organic foods makes me less hungry less frequently.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, organic or not.
  • sin0cide
    Options
    I think you guys are a bit off. Is organic not less likely to have things like e-coli? Also CLA in meats and dairy is higher which leads to less body fat. Is there some research that says anything against those points? Does anyone have objections to natural CLA? Tell me an organic apple doesn't taste sweeter. Or organic celery doesn't taste better. Maybe I am just confused by my senses but I prefer doing my own research by trying something before discounting it because some marketing machine wants to brainwash me.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    SEPTEMBER 2012, damn MFP you guys are the best at necrobumping.
  • Andrealalalak
    Options
    Organic food is NOT more expensive in face it is WAY less expensive of you have a Trader Joes in your area you know what I'm talking about ! A weeks worth of groceries for two people can be around 80 bucks and u never have to eat out ! Organic pastas for less then a dollar - and you aren't eating hormones and pesticides. If you don't have a trader joes try Fresh Market it compares to regular store prices. If all you have in your area is a whole foods .. Well .. I'm sorry :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    My freind told me today that if you eat all organic food you will lose weight. Is this true?
    Bet if you ate 20 organic potatoes a day, that wouldn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition