IBS GUIDE/Information for people who have Irritable Bowel

Options

Replies

• econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Yes I've had IBS for nearly 20 years now and I'm only 32. Yuck! For me, stress is a constant trigger, other than that, I don't really know what will trigger an attack. Things that seem to trigger it one day, don't the next. Things that work to prevent an attack, don't work the next, even meds. Junk food, cheese, and large quantities of food can be culprits to cause an attack for me, but not 100% of the time. Quite frankly I can't live without cheese, so I'll suffer the consequences of eating it.

There have been periods of my life where I've gone to the bathroom over 10 times in a single day - everyday. Talk about embarrassing!! Especially being raised in my family where I was taught that going to the bathroom in public is something to be embarrassed about and not just a fact of life.

I've had 2 colonoscopies and an endoscopy looking for the cause of my IBS without success. It's something YOU have to find ways YOU can manage it. A healthy diet and exercise are never going to hurt.
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have ibs too and was looking for others on MFP who's ibs affects our eating - is there a group? My ibs started in my life when I went through a really traumatic event. My dad also has ibs and said when he ate psyllium fiber, it went away. So i eat a serving of Trader Joe's pure psyllium husks every morning, and my ibs is completely gone. If I skip my psyllium for a few days, the ibs comes back. Basically it works because it's easily soluble fiber. Stay away from fiber suplements with additives and citrus flavors because they are worse on the stomach and negate the reason for taking the fiber. The best one I ever found is Trader Joe's - all natural. Dairy is also hard on people with ibs even if you aren't lactose intolerant, because dairy is difficult to digest. We need foods that are easy to digest, which seems like it goes against foods that help us lose weight, so it can be difficult. Part of the reason I gained so much weight actually was because if ibs. IBS pains come because we can't digest the food we ate. The most helpful website I found is www.helpforibs.com - I never bought any of the products but the information there was extremely helpful.

I hope this helps.

I'm not sure if there is a group I just made a topic about it so I could give people information that I have. I typed up a book on IBS with great information on it and I'm happy to email it to anyone that wants it. Feel free to add me as a friend :) I never heard of psyllium before...is it a medication over the counter? Or something you can just buy at the pharmacy? Dairy is definately a trigger food for me...I just drink lacteeze milk now its great, tastes just like normal milk. I am addicted to cheese, I just buy cheese strings so I try not to eat as much cheese. I gained 16 pounds so far lost 14 of it :D I wonder if it was to do with my IBS thanks for your information I will have to look into "psyllium"
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    My IBS was triggered by a virus. I spent years with stomach problems not being able to eat vegetables and I was a vegetarian!!! I found if I exercised too much it would set off a spasm and I would have to go sprinting home or to the nearest bush. I was on medication for reducing the amount of acid in my stomach and IBS meds but it took about 4yrs, a change of diet and learning my triggers to control it. I now very rarely suffer any symptoms and live relatively pain free. Occasionally I get flair ups but I take some meds and look after myself.

My recommendation is find out your triggers. Stress, food types or exercise.

Once you have them, omit or work out a way to control them so it doesn't set off an attack.

Definitely drink plenty of water.

I found coming off caffeine (except green tea but read that there is another amino acid(?) that helps against the caffeine) no dairy, controlling stress all helped against my IBS. I exercise regularly and plan runs with toilet routes :) esp if they are long. I had to learn to eat while running and that was hard due to my stomach shutting down. Testing foods and exercise need to be sorted before racing or going out into the middle of the hills.

IBS is relatively hidden issue. I know many people think folk fake it and I was one of them, until I got it. I didn't realise how important the stomach and bowels were until they stopped working and caused me so much misery.

One thing I need to do is start drinking more water. I only drink about 3 glasses a day. I don't have a lot of caffeine because it hurts my stomach to much, I drink green tea all the time I love it. The only thing with my IBS is that it doesn't matter what I eat, I could eat the healthiest meal and I still don't feel good within 5 minutes and I'm in pain. It's just the way my body works.
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    I have been suffering with IBC-C since I was 15. I have found the only things that help me are:

- Eat a well balanced, nutritious diet
    - Drink lots of water
    - Consisten exercise
    - Inner Health Plus (probiotic daily tablet)
    - Avoid oily, fried foods
    - Don't stress

Stress is the number 1 trigger for me. As well as not concentrating on my diet. I went on a 2 week holiday at the beginning of this year and as a result of not being careful with what I ate I had horrendous stomach pains on and off for 3 weeks after I returned.

Things that doctors or websites have told me to try but fail:

- Eating loads of fiber or metamucil (my colon doesn't process fibre properly, why would eating more of it help!)
    - Cutting out Gluten or Dairy
    - drinking potions and restricted diet from a natropath, yes it worked really well for about a month...then it went back to normal.

IBS is a very personal disorder. Triggers, symptons and results differ for every IBS sufferer. It's basically a process of elimination to find out what does and doesn't work for you.

By following the above, I have gone from 2-3 days a week of crippling stomach pains. To about once a month, if that! :-)

Stress is also a big trigger for me as well. I heard of metamucil but I don't need any of that. My IBS is called "Diarrheal Predominant Irritable Bowel" I go to the bathroom enough in the run of a day I don't want to go anymore haha. I also tried Gluten free before and it made my stomach even worse. I am still trying to cut back on the dairy, I only drink lacteeze milk and try not to eat as much cheese. Happy to hear you are learning to control you IBS. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    I find that what makes me worse is eating a large amount of food. After eating a large meal, my body decides to get rid of everything in the large colon, no matter if it's ready to go or not. It's agonizing and I feel pain shooting through the entire torso. When I'm on a diet, I do better because my meals are generally smaller and I eat until the hunger is gone, not until I feel "full".

The way my gastroenterologist explain my IBS to me is my colon doesn't work properly. He explained it like a washer and a dryer. My washer works but my dryer doesn't asborb anything thats why I go to the bathroom within 5 minutes urgently. It should be called irritable bull**** because thats all it really is!
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    I find that what makes me worse is eating a large amount of food. After eating a large meal, my body decides to get rid of everything in the large colon, no matter if it's ready to go or not. It's agonizing and I feel pain shooting through the entire torso. When I'm on a diet, I do better because my meals are generally smaller and I eat until the hunger is gone, not until I feel "full".

I have the same problem. Actually, if I eat just one big fat-laden meal I'll be fine. But it's when I go for the 2nd one in a day. Then yup, doesn't matter what was in it, everything's got to go. So now that I eat out once a week or less that's helped.

I find eating healthier is a mixed bag. I tend to get both directions of IBS (speed up, or slow down). Sometimes eating one really fatty food meal will effectively deal with the slow down.

Dairy if definitely a trigger food for me. I drink Lacteeze milk and try not to eat/drink dairy but I find it very hard because I love cheese. I buy cheesestrings now instead of a block of cheese so I try not to eat it as much. Trigger foods for me are ice cream, pizza, and anything that is fast food.

Don't discount the cheese. I'm not sure if my IBS is mostly dairy related or if the two are separate or what. But I find cheese to be my WORST dairy food to eat. Just miserable. Small amounts set it off. Strangely I can still eat ice cream (though not Breyers or anything very "natural") and small amounts of regular milk don't bother me, though usually I stick to Lactaid milk. I've met a lot of other people who are lactose intolerant, and it seems like the particular foods that are the worst (cheese v milk v yogurt v ice cream) can be drastically different per person. So you just need to find what's worse for you. I had to cut out cheese for the rest of my life. I was taking the little lactaid pills but it was at the point where I needed like 20 of them to have a slice of pizza. So no pizza for me. Haven't probably had pizza in 10 years. Sometimes I think about buying the expensive probiotic/enzyme stuff and trying some again, but I guess it's just not that worth it for me anymore.

Wow thats crazy how long you haven't had pizza. I wish I could stop eating it, I crave then cave all the time. Somedays I have no symptoms and other days I regret my decision. I just need to get more motivated to stick with a healthy diet. I just find it so unfair I can't eat the food I want without being in pain...Thats life eh :p
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    Yes I've had IBS for nearly 20 years now and I'm only 32. Yuck! For me, stress is a constant trigger, other than that, I don't really know what will trigger an attack. Things that seem to trigger it one day, don't the next. Things that work to prevent an attack, don't work the next, even meds. Junk food, cheese, and large quantities of food can be culprits to cause an attack for me, but not 100% of the time. Quite frankly I can't live without cheese, so I'll suffer the consequences of eating it.

There have been periods of my life where I've gone to the bathroom over 10 times in a single day - everyday. Talk about embarrassing!! Especially being raised in my family where I was taught that going to the bathroom in public is something to be embarrassed about and not just a fact of life.

I've had 2 colonoscopies and an endoscopy looking for the cause of my IBS without success. It's something YOU have to find ways YOU can manage it. A healthy diet and exercise are never going to hurt.

I agree with alot of the things you said. There are times were I can eat trigger foods and then other times it was a very bad choice. I think so far the worst day I had was when I went 9 times in one day. I was in so much pain in my stomach and my *kitten*! haha..Sometimes it hurts so much i want to cry..It's a lifestyle change having IBS
  • aaaanni
    aaaanni Posts: 25
    Options
    I have suffered gut issues for the last 8 years following a terrible virus and course of antibiotics - as i understand i don't have IBS but have Fructose Malabsorption and have been on a low FODMAPs diet since which helps immensly! I get a lot of the same symptoms as IBS so this food plan might help others too? If you google FODMAPs you will find heaps of info. Anyway, just thought it might help some, like it has for me :smile:
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    Anyone please feel free to add me as a friend! :D
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! I also have IBS.
  • santon53
    santon53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 59 years old and had my first attach at 27 years. I have been hospitalized 3 times for lower GI bleeding. I have had about 6 colonoscopies in my life time and they always tell me that i have irratable bowel and ulcerative colitis. Last year was the worse episode as I was found on the floor passed out after bloody diarrhia episode. For me I was so depressed and read everything I could. I decided to go 30 days without dairy and wheat. i felt so go after 2 weeks. Then I added back the dairy and had no problem. Next was the wheat and after 3 days back to where i had been with cramping and constipation. IBS is not fun and as you age it gets worse. Not sure if this helped but for me I have been 8 months doing very well. Maybe you have other food sensitivities.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out whats going on with me and think I may have IBS.

My symptoms have been coming and going for the past 2 years. Stress and apperantly exercise seem to be my main triggers. I generally eat a mostly healthy well balanced diet.

I had a really bad episode yesterday after running a half marathon but my symtoms are not limited to post-exercise only. I have consistently been having 2-3 "bad" days for the past couple of months.

My symptoms are stomach ache, stomach soreness, diarhea, painful gas, bloating, and cramping.

I am in training for my first marathon in 3 weeks and can not afford to reduce the exercise. I just want to get this under control. I eat heathy and when I am having a flare up try to stick to rice, mashed potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, bread, rice soup with chicken and other foods that I hope will be gentle to my stomach. I don't know if this actually helps or not but the pain & other symptoms usually go away within 24-48 hours.

I am miserable on the "white food diet" though. Its so boring and I worry about not meeting all my nutritional requirements (especially protein).

I haven't gone to the doctor - but am a bit hesitant to because I am afraid it will just be a waste of my time. If it is IBS - are they going to be able to do or prescribe anything about it?
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

My symptoms have been coming and going for the past 2 years. Stress and apperantly exercise seem to be my main triggers. I generally eat a mostly healthy well balanced diet.

I had a really bad episode yesterday after running a half marathon but my symtoms are not limited to post-exercise only. I have consistently been having 2-3 "bad" days for the past couple of months.

My symptoms are stomach ache, stomach soreness, diarhea, painful gas, bloating, and cramping.

I am in training for my first marathon in 3 weeks and can not afford to reduce the exercise. I just want to get this under control. I eat heathy and when I am having a flare up try to stick to rice, mashed potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, bread, rice soup with chicken and other foods that I hope will be gentle to my stomach. I don't know if this actually helps or not but the pain & other symptoms usually go away within 24-48 hours.

I am miserable on the "white food diet" though. Its so boring and I worry about not meeting all my nutritional requirements (especially protein).

I haven't gone to the doctor - but am a bit hesitant to because I am afraid it will just be a waste of my time. If it is IBS - are they going to be able to do or prescribe anything about it?

Go to the doctor!!!! It could be IBS or it could be something else....you won't know until you get checked. There are meds they can prescribe if it is IBS - they work for some people. Good luck!
  • grawkgrawk
    grawkgrawk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To econut2000,
    I also agree about going to the doctor. If the doctor doesn't sound very concerned/helpful, then see a different doctor.
    (But don't just expect to get meds for it. Lots of things can be fixed without meds and your doctor can try and help you solve the underlying problem, not just the symptoms.)

From my personal experience:
    *If* it is IBS, and *if* it stress related, your doctor might recommend you see a psychologist or something similar. I found a psychologist to be really helpful. It's not looking at ink blots, it's more like mental coaching. And it doesn't have to be long term therapy, it might just be 3 sessions or so.

If you do go see a doctor, you could take a bit of a diary before you go (or just print out MFP!). Keep daily notes on whatever you think is relevant. This might include what you eat, when you eat it, how stressed you are, your exercise, whether you stayed home or went to work, etc etc. and of course your symptoms.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist next week. Until then I am going to be keeping notes in my diary. Its so strange. The things that bother me sometimes are totally fine other times.
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options

I don't think it would be a waste of time to find out whats wrong with you. If I were you I would go to the Doctor. Is could be something else and not IBS. Ask your Doctor if you could get a colonoscopy done. It could be different where you live. But for me my doctor had to get permission from a gastroenterologist to get a colonoscopy done. The colonscopy could be the best thing for you because it can determine what you have. They will take a biospy that could help determine what you have. All your symptoms sound like IBS. It took me years to decide to go to the Doctor. I just delt with the pain until I had a really bad episode and was crying on the toilet in pain. Right now I don't have medical benefits so the doctor told me to take a generic name brand of imodium. I just got benefits waiting for them to kick in then I might go get a prescription. The book I bought that has a ton of information says try not to rely on medication for pain. You should learn how to control it. So that's what I am trying to do. If I were you I would go to the Doctor.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think I have IBS. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the end of this month.

My symptoms are almost daily and are bloating, cramping, gas, stomach aches, diarrhea and constipation.
    I know stress is a trigger as well as exercise. I have cut out dairy no for 2 weeks and haven't noticed any change.

I am trying to get my stess under control but it's hard when my symptoms cause a lot of stress.

Please feel free to friend request me.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS all my life, just didn't have it confirmed until about 7 yrs ago when they finally listened to me. As a kid I was always constipated, didn't matter what I did. Then when I got pregnant for the first time it changed and I was totally regular... until I gave birth. 3 more pregnancies and pretty much the same thing... then it went to the opposite. I am still figuring out all my triggers, but with the breakfast I have been having lately it seems to be helping. I have oatmeal with holy crap cereal and nutracleanse in it. Gives me the fibre I need as well as some other added benefits. I've been doing this for about 4 months now and I haven't had nearly as many flare ups where I'm either in the washroom all day or not being able to go at all. Anyone who wants to add me, please feel free :)
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I deal with Constipation Predominant IBS, and would like other IBS-C sufferers to friend me. :flowerforyou:

Any IBS-C sufferers found reliable relief? A number of measures have provided relief for a time, and then it's back to square one even while still using them. :grumble:
  • lisaj950
    lisaj950 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C and have dealt with it and the pain for over 15 years. I have found that following the rules according to Heather's book (helpforibs.org) has been a life saver. Yes, I have either oatmeal, white bread (homemade), white rice or potato as the base of each meal. However this has helped me get rid of the pain and finally lose weight. I exercise, watch my calories and portion control and it works. Some think that since they are eating "white bread and starches" that they ill gain weight. I have not. You have to do what works for your body. I still get my veggies and protein, I just have to have the protection of the "soluble" fiber in my gut. Not every rule will work for all. (I drink coffee and eat eggs/yogurt/cheese) but you can tweak it to what works for you. Everyone should visit her website.