Do you have any "rules"?

Options

Replies

• kate_xoxo29
    Options
    I have to have 72oz of water before I can have a soda. (I suck at drinking water, lol)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Never drink my calories.
    Cook with light butter over olive oil when possible.
    Keep snacking to a minimum I prefer my calories from savory sources
    No more then 250 Calories at breakfast
    Burn no less then 300 calories during a cardio work out (So at least 30 minutes of cardio)
    Lower fat options when ever possible.
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options

Vitamin Water might as well be Kool-Aid. Some people think it's healthy just because it says "vitamin" in the name.

I don't have any rules, I think that's unhealthy.

Word.
  • literaryweasel
    Options
    Don't miss more than one day of exercise a week; nothing but water, vitamin water, and coffee to drink; and if I go way over my calories one day, I try to balance it the next by exercising a ton and eating a little under.

What is vitamin water?
    and just plain coffee?
    Vitamin Water might as well be Kool-Aid. Some people think it's healthy just because it says "vitamin" in the name.

I don't have any rules, I think that's unhealthy.

Vitamin Water Zero isn't bad.

I don't have any rules either. I guess if I had one, it would be that I push myself to be mindful about each of my eating and exercise choices.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Personally, hard and fast "rules" don't work very well for me....from past experience, I know that they I will end up breaking them BIG TIME. For instance, no fast food at all leads to going on a fast food kick and getting out of the swing of generally eating pretty well. I always try to do cardio at least 3 days a week, strength training at least once or twice ( I have a hard time meeting that goals) and stick to my calorie goals even if that means compensating for a "bad" meal once or twice a week....usually on the weekends. It also helps that I generally don't plan on eating back my calories I work off from exercise. Over all, I just try to do everything in moderation. It might not work for people trying to lose quickly ( I only aim for about a pound to a pound and a half per week).
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My biggest rule: I don't eat at any restaurant that has a drive thru window.

If I get a salad, I dip the fork in the vinaigrette.

Less than 7g sugar a day from all sources combined

No refined carbohydrate.

Yoga at least thrice a week =)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have a framework, I don't like rules:

Dietary: Avoid grains, sugar, processed food, limit dairy, limit the starch, eat leafy veggies, eat naturally-occurring fat with impunity, Just Eat Real Food ferchristsakes.

Exercise: Walk regularly, lift some heavy stuff occasionally, don't do it to 'burn calories', do it because it is enjoyable.

Lest I been seen as some food Nazi, I had a Snickers bar for *breakfast* yesterday because:

a) I fancied one

b) I've been low-carb for a while and thought I could use one before a day on the cricket pitch.

The 80/20 rule applies and keeps me sane(ish).
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    No rules for me really. I would be too hard on myself if I 'broke' one. I'm not perfect. Why set myself up to fail?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I only have one rule, DO NOT EAT ANYTHING THAT HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN LOGGED. this rule has kept me from going over many times, once i log it, if i do not like how it looks, i will not eat it.
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    Moderation.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Measure everything out don't guess
    1 LARGE GREEN SALAD A DAY
    log as I go
    I buying extra food while at work unless you are stuck in Overtime.
    1 cheat hour every three weeks when hanging out with the best friend.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    no gluten (I am severely gluten intolerant), no dairy, no meat, no eating in the car, no processed foods, no refined sugars. I ingest raw foods only. And I take my vitamins. I am very serious about my supplements.

*I learned after finding out that I am gluten intolerant that I am great at eliminating foods from my diet but I really stink at moderation- hence the no dairy or meat. I overindulge every time.
  • mlovebug
    Options
    I only have one rule, DO NOT EAT ANYTHING THAT HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN LOGGED. this rule has kept me from going over many times, once i log it, if i do not like how it looks, i will not eat it.

That is intense
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have to get in my gym gear and go monday to friday, I must spend 10 minutes minimum there, I can leave after that if I'm still not feeling it
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any "rules" per say because to me it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. And I don't want too many rules because then I feel like it's not about lifestyle and I will end up bingeing.
    The only really "rule" that I have is to have one cheat day a week, a day where I allow myself to eat what I please, whether it goes over my calories or not. The rest of the week, I make the best choices possible. And when I do have my down days, I'm not too hard on myself. I just keep telling myself that tomorrow will be better and it usually is. As long as I keep trying and never give up, then I know I will change into a better person. I feel if you mix what you like with what's good for you, that's a lifestyle change in my opinion.

I also portion my food and make sure I get plenty of exercise in. (:
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't have any rules! I am here to lose weight and KEEP it off, and to be successful with that I think it will come down to the choices I make and having things in MODERATION. I am not going to make ridiculous rules for my self like not ever eating fast food or any desserts etc. Its just not realistic. As long as I don't do those things often and its within your own personal goals, why not? I like to be realistic--- have something I can live with forever.
  • smaddock
    smaddock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to write down, no matter what. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I don't. I am also trying to reach out to people and not try and do this alone. Good luck
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    workout everyday even if it's just a walk for an hour

no fried food

no soda

no booze
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Rules? Choices?

MUST have an apple a day even if I keep "low carb"
    I concentrate when Im eating and eat slow so I have a chance to notice Im near full (I hate "over full")

Vegies---lotsa vegies
    keeps food to a minimum during the work day so I can enjoy a NICE size meal with the fiance' in the evening (he cooks)

MUST have a salad before but as part of Supper

PICKLES!!!! LOTS and LOTS of pickles ALL day

MUST have coffee on rising each day and on the drive to work

NO more than 1 Diet Root Beer a day (may be less but never more)

If I eat popcorn, I must have an apple with it

NO "pure sweet junk" aka candy / cake / pie etc

NO white sugar or flour or bread buns etc

No dreading or dwelling or fear or regret

Remain positive

catnewyrresolutionloseweightorbuybiggerbasket.jpg
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My only rule is that EVERYTHING must be logged, no matter how embarassing. Frequently keeps me from binging.

Other than that, I think that being too restrictive is why people fail... I eat what I want when I want, and if that puts me over, it's not the end of the world. Things that I generally try to do:
    1) I like intermittent fasting, so I generally consume all of my daily calories between noon and 9 or 10 pm.
    2) I try to make most of my food myself so that I can control what goes into it
    3) Barring special circumstances, I pretty much always get over 100g protein/day
    4) I try to go to the gym every day, I fail on average once a week, usually due to working later than I had planned, so that becomes my rest day.