Pre-logging Food Diaries

Options
How many of you do this? I think it's interesting when I see others pre-logging their meals and snacks in, I guess it does give you an idea of what your calorie intake will be for that day. My question is, do many of you actually end up eating what you've entered? And do you find it easier to have all of this planned out beforehand, than deciding what you're eating at every meal right then and there?

Replies

• midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do this during the work week. It's just easier for me that way. On my off days, I do it as I eat / exercise.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I can't pre-log. I like to wing it. :)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food every night, sometimes up to two days at a time. I'm doing NROLFW and the diet macros are so specific that I couldn't possibly guess without going over on at least one of them.

I never prelog exercise. Using an hrm, that just doesn't make sense to me.
  • AnnieMontes28
    Options
    I tried this a couple times and it never worked for me, I always end up having more or getting too busy and not eating what I wrote. Now I just wait until the end of the day to get it all down or log as I go if I have time throughout the day
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do :)
    I like to plan ahead, helps me stay on track xD
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i love pre-logging. then i dont have to guess throughout the day. plus i eat basically the same thing everyday during the week so its really just for me to know how many calories i have for dinner. i usually do end up eating what i pre-logged.

has worked for me all of this year so far.
  • cyberpope
    cyberpope Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Funny i Just did this for the first time tonight. I packed up our lunches for tomorrow so I knew what we'd be eating and figured I might as well go ahead and book it.
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I pre plan a lot. It helps me stay on track. I already know what I can and can't have for the day. Makes it a whole lot easier.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog so I know what I have to eat. It keeps me accountable so that I don't go over. That and if I want to eat something like FroYo, I know I will be able to fit it in.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I almost always enter my food before I eat it and I'm pretty good at sticking to my plan.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like to pre-log food one day ahead, but I don't do it all the time. If I pre-log I do end up eating what I've logged. I don't log exercise in advance.
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Working 2 jobs and taking 2 classes in school :noway: , pre-logging is the best option for me. Occasionally it changes if I have last minute plans to meet with friends, but for the most part I stick with it. Pre-logging definitely keeps me on track. :wink:
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    And also because I am leaning out trying to drop the rest of this fat and gain muscle. I need to try to get my macros in check. Especially my protein and carbs.
  • ningggsm
    ningggsm Posts: 202
    Options
    I prelog my food every night, sometimes up to two days at a time. I'm doing NROLFW and the diet macros are so specific that I couldn't possibly guess without going over on at least one of them.

I never prelog exercise. Using an hrm, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Lol. No offense to those that do prelog exercise, but that doesn't make sense to me either.
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I never thought of doing that. I guess if the time was right, I would. I like to log after, but maybe I need to try this.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do it, especially during a workday and I already have my breakfast, lunch and snack packed and ready to go. But it's usually easy for me to do most days, because I eat an assortment of the same things most of the time. And if I deviate from the plan, I'll just delete and replace the entry.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog so I know what I have to eat. It keeps me accountable so that I don't go over. That and if I want to eat something like FroYo, I know I will be able to fit it in.

This!

It means a lot when you see people whom have lost more than 75 pounds saying this. IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO PRE-PLAN!
  • ningggsm
    Options
    I can't pre-log. I like to wing it. :)

Same here, lol. However, I do fail at trying to wing it sometimes. Haha. Thought I might try something new this time.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I often pre-log but only for the day. I normally don't go past that unless I have a meal out planned and I want to just make the decisions on what I am eating ahead of time.

I am starting NROLFW myself and planning my day helps me to make sure I am on track for my protein, fat and carbs seem to balance out as long as I am getting my protein in.

I log exercise in the am sometimes too but only because I *earn* a set amount of calories following the NROLFW plan so I can log on a day when I know I am going to be going to the gym.
  • ningggsm
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to try it. :) Here I am thinking it was a waste of time and thought 'who sticks to their plan anyway?' But many of you seem to be successful with planning ahead of time. Will give it a go and see how things work out. Thanks again!