High rep, low weight has to be worth something, right?

Options
13»

Replies

• ChinUp4Life
    Options
    What we are trying to say, but you are refusing to hear, is that no matter which of those measures of progress you're looking for, 20 rep sets will NOT get you there. N-O-T NOT NOT NOT. Watch my lips so you can see the words come out. NOT. GONNA. GET. YOU. THERE.

Tell that to Kroc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jAIdoORxI
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What we are trying to say, but you are refusing to hear, is that no matter which of those measures of progress you're looking for, 20 rep sets will NOT get you there. N-O-T NOT NOT NOT. Watch my lips so you can see the words come out. NOT. GONNA. GET. YOU. THERE.

Tell that to Kroc

What is that vid supposed to prove? He's just showing how many reps he can do with 225. I've seen him DB row 300 for 11 too. Do you think he would recommend doing lower weight in 20+ rep sets versus higher weight with less reps if you asked him? If I remember correctly, he specifically designed his own DBs so he could increase the weight to 300lbs because doing 225 for high reps wasn't getting him where he wanted to be. So basically your example is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to defend.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I hate when I post and win the thread and people ignore me and continue arguing. So again:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/08/high-reps-vs-low-reps-for-muscle-gain.html

They basically agree that there could be a benefit to doing some lower weight higher rep work. It was my understanding that the OP wasn't saying he was planning to exclusively switch to high rep work, but rather that he didn't have access to normal equipment and was hoping to gain something from low rep work. The answer is "sure, it is probably worth something"

/endthread
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Win a thread?

Since when does that happen? Mwhahaha ...
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    there's no need to cancel your high-weight workout just becuase you dont have any big equipment:

can you do:
    1 arm pushups?
    1 leg squats?
    handstand pushups?

if you cant, then you can train towards them to get a low-rep, 'max weight' bodyweight only training regime. That's what I'm doing...

there's 1 hand pull-ups too, although you do need some equipment for that. If you can find a copy of 'convict conditioning' then it's a great guide to the progression steps for each.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    there's no need to cancel your high-weight workout just becuase you dont have any big equipment:

can you do:
    1 arm pushups?
    1 leg squats?
    handstand pushups?

if you cant, then you can train towards them to get a low-rep, 'max weight' bodyweight only training regime. That's what I'm doing...

there's 1 hand pull-ups too, although you do need some equipment for that. If you can find a copy of 'convict conditioning' then it's a great guide to the progression steps for each.

+1, thanks for offering good suggestions. You can be your own gym and use what you have.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Op here....
    The flaw of OP's question is that he says "low weight." Low weight is relative.
    I did mention specifically : pair of 8kg (17.5lb, so total weight for the 2 is 35lb) dumbells
    They basically agree that there could be a benefit to doing some lower weight higher rep work. It was my understanding that the OP wasn't saying he was planning to exclusively switch to high rep work, but rather that he didn't have access to normal equipment and was hoping to gain something from low rep work. The answer is "sure, it is probably worth something
    Yep, precisely what i was saying.... back on the bigger weight tomorrow.
    I hate when I post and win the thread and people ignore me and continue arguing
    Win a thread?

Since when does that happen? Mwhahaha ...
    I saw your post :smile:

Plus, i couldn't resist googling "win a thread"

89412d1269249200-paint-job-ideas-full-win..jpg
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options

Tell that to Kroc

What is that vid supposed to prove? He's just showing how many reps he can do with 225. I've seen him DB row 300 for 11 too. Do you think he would recommend doing lower weight in 20+ rep sets versus higher weight with less reps if you asked him? If I remember correctly, he specifically designed his own DBs so he could increase the weight to 300lbs because doing 225 for high reps wasn't getting him where he wanted to be. So basically your example is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to defend.

"I started knocking the 225s out for sets of 25 reps and my upper back strength and size increased significantly. I also noticed my old problem with locking out my deadlifts had completely disappeared – I was able to easily finish any pull that I could get to my knees."

"I explained to Jim how they vastly improved my grip strength and how that had carried over to improving my deadlift lockout, not to mention adding significant size and strength to my upper back.

Jim started doing the rows, became a fan, and started recommending them to some powerlifters he knew – and all reported immediate improvements in grip and upper back strength, which also carried over to their deadlift maxes."
    -Matt Kroczaleski

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/kroc_rows_101

The lesson I take away from this is that there probably is some strength and physique potential which would need to be activated by the higher rep range.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Tell that to Kroc

"I started knocking the 225s out for sets of 25 reps and my upper back strength and size increased significantly. I also noticed my old problem with locking out my deadlifts had completely disappeared – I was able to easily finish any pull that I could get to my knees."

"I explained to Jim how they vastly improved my grip strength and how that had carried over to improving my deadlift lockout, not to mention adding significant size and strength to my upper back.

Jim started doing the rows, became a fan, and started recommending them to some powerlifters he knew – and all reported immediate improvements in grip and upper back strength, which also carried over to their deadlift maxes."
    -Matt Kroczaleski

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/kroc_rows_101

The lesson I take away from this is that there probably is some strength and physique potential which would need to be activated by the higher rep range.
    There's a flaw with using pros as examples. He's using 225lbs dumbbells for this after already having a world class elite level of strength. And he's using it as an accessory to a main lift to further improve upon that.

He is NOT using this as a means to start, or get to where he is. This is the main point that noone seems to grasp. World elite lifters are NOT representitive of the untrained population. So doing what they do is NOT what you should take seriously.

It's the same argument when tiny people try and follow elite level bodybuilding routines. They point at ronnie coleman and say he's doing 8-12 reps for most everything, and doing very high rep work on other things, if it works for him, then it must be the best way, right?

What they seem to forget is that ronnie was a powerlifter for his start into lifting and was putting our world elite numbers far before he started lifting for size.

Yes high rep has it's place, but for most beginners, you're hard pressed finding that place... Most everything is is FAR superior.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    boys need an *kitten* too ya know

lol
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When I read DavPul's posts, I sense a lot of negativity. It's the classic "I'm right, you're wrong" argument without really considering all the variables.

The funny thing is that if DavPul were to have me train him for a session is that we would do a variety of rep ranges, but the high reps would kill him the most.

I have a relatively skinny client right now that started with me a month ago and has already gained 10 lbs of mass doing a variety of rep ranges. I am confident that one of the best builders so far has been the Kettlebell squat ladders I have him do.

10 reps with heavy kettlebell --> immediately to 15 reps with medium kettlebell --> 20 reps with a light kettlebell.

When I give free fitness assessments, I train most men using that parameter and they absolutely dig the workout. As for progress, we just start with a heavier kettlebell or use less rest periods.

What DavPul fails to realize is that every body is different and every training system is different. I am interested to hear about other people's training styles...

My job is to have a broad knowledge of many types of exercise and then prescribe specific parameters for my clients. Sometimes they will benefit from 10-20 rep sets. If it's easy, you're doing it wrong.
    Is this a joke?

The high reps will "kill" your client for the simple fact of muscle failure. Before he/she has reach the last 20 reps, they just completed 25 reps with varying weights.

We all should train in different rep ranges. That being said, I see little to no point in going above 15 reps per set.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Yes high rep has it's place

Therefore worth something.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    I did mention specifically : pair of 8kg (17.5lb, so total weight for the 2 is 35lb) dumbells

OP, so what did you decide to do with those, out of curiosity?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump