what are your trigger foods and how to avoid binging on them

Options
124»

Replies

• Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    For me it's mainly chocolate, so I try to avoid having it at home. And ice cream is the same. I just can't stop and put it back to the freezer. (=___=;;)
    Every time I go shopping I usually spend about a good 5-10 minutes looking at the chocolates, cookies and so, but most of the time I get home without buying any of them.

I have been getting the skinny cow ice cream in the single serve containers. As long as you only open one, your good to go. :)
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    chocolate =) especially aeros mint choco or hersheys bar.

and how to stop having two little cubes of Green&&Black dark choco with ginger and bamm no more craving :)
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    mini pancakes. Cadburys Fingers.
    Jaffa Cakes. Red grapes. Jam and banana sandwiches on white bread.

I guess the only way to avoid bingeing is not to buy them in the first place but sometimes you just need the freakin things....

Im still working on how to avoid the bingeing on sweet stuff, especially after the last meal of the day.

When I get in that frame of mind I literally cannot stop myself... its like an addiction. Its quite scary.

Its a battle Im going to have long term I think.... :0/
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    Ice cream! I HAVE to eat the whole thing -_- And granola with milk for some reason, when I eat a portion (even the really bland kind) I always want more, more, more. I only want to binge when I haven't eaten enough the past days or when I'm extremely sad. I try to let my self have some ice cream or other "binge-foods" from time to time because food is not an enemy and I do enjoy it.
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me it's mainly chocolate, so I try to avoid having it at home. And ice cream is the same. I just can't stop and put it back to the freezer. (=___=;;)
    Every time I go shopping I usually spend about a good 5-10 minutes looking at the chocolates, cookies and so, but most of the time I get home without buying any of them.

I have been getting the skinny cow ice cream in the single serve containers. As long as you only open one, your good to go. :)

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately we don't have anything like that here. ^^" (I'm from Hungary :))
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mines are cereals....damn it I LOVE LOVE cereal....anything really like all bran, original or flakes, clusters, granola, special k, i just love them and could sit and eat a full box if I'm on my own :( so i have cut it down to buying one box then sticking to it until it is gone before I buy another asnd always use a cup to measure how much i need not want lol its hard because i love love love it, it's really my only craving and trigger!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Nuts, tahini, peanut butter - this one is particularly bad. I can spoon it in until it sticks in a glob in my esophagus. Grains, rice, brown rice, granolas. All fine in normal amounts. My brain wants to have abnormal amounts though. SERIOUSLY abnormal amounts. The only time I didn't crave these foods was when I was taking a med called Topamax. Too bad it makes soda taste like it has ground radishes in it and makes you dumb as a stump. :ohwell:
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Peanut butter, granola, ice cream, cookies, brownies, cake, etc etc. I seriously have to steer clear of them at all costs. Even "just a little taste" can lead to a 1,500+ calorie binge. I've learned not to keep these things in the house because if they're not there I won't be able to eat them (obviously).
  • giggles0002
    giggles0002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chips and crackers. I bought a box of wheat thins and that was a big mistake. Every day I had at least 2-3 servings. With Chips I only buy the little bags. But I need to stop with chips all together.
  • BritainPaige
    Options
    I don't buy them, sadly. I just cleared out my food supply of anything I eat without control. Cottage cheese, frozen yogurt/ice cream, nuts, cereal, jars of peanut butter, big bags of pretzels, etc. I threw them away and have decided to buy individual portions. I also think I may buy cereal and pre bag it into proper portions..it's far to easy to munch right out of the box! At target and whole foods they carry individual packets of justin's peanut butter which is amazing and walmart carries ind. of pb and co peanut butter. It costs more to buy individual packets of things but if I have no self control then I know it's what I need to do.

Everything she said ^^ but the worst for me is ice cream...I can't count the times I've had an entire 1/2 gallon in 1 or 2 sittings.
  • pierremignon
    pierremignon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely potato chips and crisps!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I have one specific food I binge on - I tend to just have general cravings (salty/savory/sweet, etc). If I have multiple portions in front of me when that craving strikes, then there's trouble afoot :) I've been losing weight since 2009 and I still struggle with portion sizing. I HAVE to measure out things I buy in bulk, or buy them pre-portioned, otherwise I tend to eat more than I should. I grew up overweight, and used food as a barrier for emotions, so I struggle sometimes with the idea of eating for sustenance first and pleasure second.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Every week it's something different. Right now it's Kraft Dinner. I'm really jonesing for a pot of KD. I keep only a couple boxes in the house and I have to play the "leave it for the kids" card to keep myself from scarfing an entire pot.
    Next week it'll be all the halloween candy that the kids have laying around.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Frito's- Only buy a snack bag that way there is no extra.
  • amy03063
    Options
    mine is any type of lollies and smith chips :/
    i try so hard not to eat it when my family buys them (they buy it 2 times a week >.<)
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sunbutter. I won't buy it anymore.
  • ChiGirl79
    Options
    Anything with chocolate as a key ingredient- esp. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
    Cheese

My way of avoiding the binging is to not avoid the food completely. With the cheese it's about moderation and portion control. With the chocolate, I remind myself that it is a treat/reward - and I restrict myself to one serving and take the time to savor it. It also helps when I remind myself how many minutes on the treadmill it would take to burn those extra calories if I go over my daily limit.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't buy them, sadly. I just cleared out my food supply of anything I eat without control. Cottage cheese, frozen yogurt/ice cream, nuts, cereal, jars of peanut butter, big bags of pretzels, etc. I threw them away and have decided to buy individual portions. I also think I may buy cereal and pre bag it into proper portions..it's far to easy to munch right out of the box! At target and whole foods they carry individual packets of justin's peanut butter which is amazing and walmart carries ind. of pb and co peanut butter. It costs more to buy individual packets of things but if I have no self control then I know it's what I need to do.
    A better place for unwanted unopened food is a food bank. and :smile: buying smaller packs will turn out to be cheaper, because
    you were eating Whole larger packages before.