Ladies with bigger calves-skinny jean help!!!!

Options
Okay ladies I have bigger calves, the biggest spot is 15' and I hate it. They've gone done a few inches though. But I have knee high boots that I love to wear but I HATE skinny jeans. Mostly because they are so tight on my thighs down. I wear a size 6/8 in jeans but when I went a few days ago to try on skinny jeans in that size they fit in my waist but my legs could not breathe! I've tried tons of stores. Does anyone have any tips or do you just not wear them? I usually wear jeans over my boots now because my jeans are either flare or bootcut. I did find a skinny bootcut pair but I'm not sure if there skinny enough at the bottom that they would be bulky inside of my boots. This may sound silly. But I want to be comfortable in my jeans and I'm not going to buy jeans be uncomfortable just to be able to wear the jeans inside my boots but I want to wear my jeans and show my boots off. Right now I wear them with my sweater dress to show them off with tights. Any thoughts/ideas/advice/suggestions on stores would be great! I have bigger hips and calves but smaller waist. So any help would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• laurawale
    laurawale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is my first post!

I have the same problem and find that straight leg jeans are better, they don't tuck in around the ankle as much, but you can still get them into boots without a problem.
  • kimmeh91
    kimmeh91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have the same problem!

Have you tried jeggings, aka jean leggings? They look like jeans but feel like leggings, they're supposed to be comfortable.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Learn to sew, or find someone who can. The have them "take in" the jeans from the knee down so they are not so baggy. I do this, but start at the thigh for me. My waist is just to big for my legs :-P
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves and thighs, and I always will. I just came to terms with not being able to wear them and stay far away! I figure that if I can look good and feel good about myself in another style why make myself feel bad by trying to wear something that will never flatter my body?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Learn to sew, or find someone who can. The have them "take in" the jeans from the knee down so they are not so baggy. I do this, but start at the thigh for me. My waist is just to big for my legs :-P

This. Everyone's body is different. Clothes sometimes aren't. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your body.

Personally, I'd go up a size or two in skinny jeans until they fit my legs best, then taking in the waist, rather than making boot-cut jeans skinnier.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    IMO....only non curvy, pin straight women can pull off the skinny jean

For example....I will never, EVER EVER EVER look good in skinny jeans....EVER
    I will NEVER EVER buy them....they aren't made for everyone

EDIT...didn't see WHY you wanted them lol

sorry
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you hate Skinny jeans try a straight leg style. They had one at the Gap that I loved. The calves were not super skinny but were easier to fit into boots than flared or bootcut.

I also find I have to go up a size or two...that explains why I only have 1 pair.
  • glynts
    glynts Posts: 11
    Options
    I have the exact same problem... trying to shed some pounds so I can fit into skinnies, and I think that's the only solution I suppose:(
    Otherwise I wouldn't fit into them/ look flattering in skinnies. Need. Smaller. Calves.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying Jeggings as well. My sister looks adorable when she pairs jeggings and boots. I haven't given them a try, yet.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

sorry

I love the way they look. And I have the cutest knee high boots that I wear all the time but no one can see them so that's why I want to wear jeans with them but I don't think jeggings are exactly what I'm looking for. I want the jean material.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

sorry

I love the way they look. And I have the cutest knee high boots that I wear all the time but no one can see them so that's why I want to wear jeans with them but I don't think jeggings are exactly what I'm looking for. I want the jean material.

I have a thick pair of jeggings, they are basically jeans but they fit better.
    I have thicker calves too. I sometimes wear longer socks to go over my jeans at the bottom to keep them put then boots over that, but i generally wear skinny jeans, they stretch after a bit so it's all good. Good luck :P
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying Jeggings as well. My sister looks adorable when she pairs jeggings and boots. I haven't given them a try, yet.

Yeah I've tried a few pair of jeggings on too and there exactly the same. They suction to my ankles and legs at the bottom to where they feel like there cutting off my circulation. Guess I just can't get skinny jeans. But I may try the straight leg jeans. That'd be my last resort.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have advice about stores, I just thought it was cool to find a thread with other women with my body type - I also have large calves and thighs and breasts and a small waist - it's nice actually to be hourglass, many people wish they had our shape. Mostly I can't even wear boots - I would have to pay a lot for an extra large calf boot. I mostly wear flare jeans as well - even bootlegs usually don't look right on me. I wear whatever makes me look MY best, irregardless of fads. I dress very classy and wear things that look slimming on me.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think sweater dress or skirt with leggings/tights is cute...

skinny jeans are pretty much the devil if you have large thighs (like me!)

I do have one pair that I don't mind, they are black and so i guess they are more slimming. maybe part of it is getting jeans that are the same or a similar colour to the boots, so it's more of a continuation, rather than having a line across the widest bit of your calf?
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Just buy straight-cut jeans and use a safety pin to "wrap" them at the ankles (similar to that horrible french cuff we did in the 80s, but don't roll them).

Nobody looks good in skinny jeans, even skinny girls. Just say no. There's a reason those went out of style in the early 90s.
  • ktd513
    ktd513 Posts: 32
    Options
    i have the same problem but i have found some i love! the thing about them is u have to buy them tight because they will get loose in no time! i use to think i couldnt wear them untill i got a pair and ppl said how cute they looked! especially with boots! :-)
  • MaleyaB
    MaleyaB Posts: 25
    Options
    Hello! I went through this issue before.

I used to hate skinny jeans because I thought they were suffocating. But it turns out, I just wasn't wearing the right ones. I recommend trying Old Navy. I bought a pair from there and it was a little big around the waist so I have to wear it with a belt. However, they were looser around my calves so my legs were able to breathe while having the skinny jean look. My favorite pair of skinny jeans I bought at Bealls and it is a brand called "tyte". They look good and I don't feel like I am wearing skinny jeans in them.

I also bought jeggings, but I have grown to like them less because they never fit around my waist well.

I live in Florida so I am usually able to wear cute boots with a dress and regular leggings. Don't know where you live or if you are able to do that though.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Yeah I've tried a few pair of jeggings on too and there exactly the same. They suction to my ankles and legs at the bottom to where they feel like there cutting off my circulation. Guess I just can't get skinny jeans. But I may try the straight leg jeans. That'd be my last resort.

It's a very specific body type that looks good and feels comfortable in skinny jeans or jeggings. I even wear spanx with my skinny jeans so no one gets offended at the sight of me. ;) Good luck with your straight leg jeans!
  • LotsOtots5
    Options
    My friend made a pair of flare pants into skinny pants.
    1. put the pants on inside out
    2. start where the pants start to get loose (flare) and gather the excess, pin it
    3. sew down the side of the pants, trim the excess
    4. pull the pants right side out
    5. put them on!! Perfect for YOU skinny pants :)

I'm going to try it. I hate skinny jeans because I have bigger hips/butt but I wanted these boots sooooooooo bad last year. They are always too low in the back and I end up trying to pull them up all day, making myself look stupid!!
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I'm all most positive they come in Jean fabric .qvc is where I've seen them .