Say you won the lottery....

Options

Replies

• Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you won the lottery the first thing that would happen is the media would paint a huge target on your back and you'll be broke and in prison or dead within a couple years. Everyone you never knew will want to sue you for some wrong you did in the past. Third cousins twice removed by marriage will show up for loans. Credit card companies will line up at your door and fight like dogs over you to give you unlimited credit. Financial advisors will be coming out of th woodwork to help you spend your finances. If you're lucky you'll have a little left over to squander away on hookers and blow before you hit rock bottom. Enjoy your happiness.

It depends on where you live. Some states require that your name is published, others don't. Sometimes people get around this by putting it in a company name which is why so often it takes months for the winner to come forward.
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    I would hire neither but when i bought my new house i would make sure it stayed clean. :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    depends on how much lotto was. I would want enough to last me forever.

Me too! I won't even play unless the jackpot is $30 million. I want to be set for life. ;)
  • clowdusc
    Options
    If I won the lottery...
    Mine and my boyfriend's college would be paid for.
    We'd buy a house, with land. It would have solar power.
    I'd set up a NICE greenhouse.
    I'd buy all the kitchen items I've been wanting.
    I'd buy a tattoo gun.
    I'd buy my boyfriend a few things he wants.
    And with the rest, I'm sure we'll have enough to live comfortably on for at least until we both get out of college and get a job, seeing as we've been living on less than 10,000 for the past couple years.

I wouldn't splurge a ton, but I'd definitely set us up. :)
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would hire both!

&&&&&&....
    buy myself a bmw & range rover & some hybrid car
    a big house.. big enough just for me at this age
    have a gardener (hot one too lol)
    pool guy
    buy all the heels I can get my hands on! (shoe freak)
    open up restaurant (healthy of course :P)
    travel the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

& last but not least, let my parents retire for good! especially my Mommy <3
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Neither... I'd buy a house or apartment so that I never have to worry about mortgage and save the rest for my future kids' college funds... I rather cook for myself anyway. :)
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well, there are about 9000 things I would consider more important to do first. Once those are done (all bills paid off, house bought and paid off, car paid off, family taken care of, etc), THEN, I would consider both. I don't have a domestic bone in my body, but only the cleaning bothers me, so I'd very likely get a cleaner. But NOT a live in one. That just sounds creepy.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If you won the lottery the first thing that would happen is the media would paint a huge target on your back and you'll be broke and in prison or dead within a couple years. Everyone you never knew will want to sue you for some wrong you did in the past. Third cousins twice removed by marriage will show up for loans. Credit card companies will line up at your door and fight like dogs over you to give you unlimited credit. Financial advisors will be coming out of th woodwork to help you spend your finances. If you're lucky you'll have a little left over to squander away on hookers and blow before you hit rock bottom. Enjoy your happiness.

Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine? LOL
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Maid! Cleaning is more of a chore.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Neither.
    I'd just buy an apartment with a really amazing kitchen, with a dishwasher!! :happy:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What do you call a male maid? Whatever, I'd have one of them :tongue:

I tell everyone I know the first thing I'm going to buy is a Dyson vacuum cleaner.
  • missymoga
    missymoga Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Neither? I would still have arms and therefore would be capable of doing both things myself. Why waste money on something so trivial?

For me, I see time as my most valuable commodity in life, it's the one thing that you can't replace. I would definitely hire "domestic engineers" to do these things for me. First, it creates jobs, second, I would eat way better and eat out way less if I had a personal chef, and lastly it would free up time to read, socialize, work out, be adventuresome!

Agreed! More time for adventure is always needed!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Both I'm greedy like that. I'd also hire people to do all my other *kitten*.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Seeing as it's all hypothetical, I'll buy into the either or question cause it's easy.

It's been said before but I agree, I enjoy cooking/baking/messing up the kitchen but hate cleaning. Therefore maid all the way.

Now, if you really want to make things interesting, let's say you are already $5k in debt and you win $6k. What do you do with the winnings? Are you a practical person who wants to be out of debt with a small amount of free money or do you blow the whole wad and spend the next 3 years paying off debt just as you would without the lotto?

I use the money to pay the debt. And enjoy 1k.
  • missymoga
    missymoga Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Both I'm greedy like that. I'd also hire people to do all my other *kitten*.

Love your honesty, I'd do the same lol
  • neasha27
    Options
    I'll take a chef and some lipo...LOL
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much money I won, but first I'd pay off my student loans and pay off my mom's house. Then I'd probably get a maid, cause cooking's not so bad.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If I won the Lotto, I would...

♦ hire a PT to make me work on my core strength and make me lift weights

♦ hire a swimming coach to help me improve my stroke and teach me how to swim freestyle properly

♦ have my own swimming pool built
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want some stranger living in my house, that would creep me out but I would like to have a house cleaner come by and clean my house 3-5 days a week. That would be nice :smile:

This! 5 days a week, one of which would be a weekend day. We wouldn't hire a personal chef but might have someone come in every couple of months to teach us new culinary tricks. If we really HIT the lottery, we'd probably eat out a bit.
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    personal chef and a hot personal trainer !!