How often do you walk your dog(s) & for how long?

Options
124»

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I walk my 2 big older dogs on a leash in my neighborhood for as long as they can handle it, which is now about 15 minutes a day. Sometimes together, sometimes separately. I have had loose dogs run up to us and was afraid someone would get hurt. I had quit walking them until I found some pepper spray at Ace hardware. I now feel safe enough to walk them even after dark. My daughter told me of a friend who was walking his dog on a leash, when a small dog attacked and his bigger dog bit it, killing it. The cops came the next day and took his dog away & had it put down. He was a 2 time Iraq vet who needed his dog for PTS. It broke my heart and that is why I got the pepper spray.

I think about this every day. I hope your pepper spray does the trick.
  • norris12
    Options
    I have 2 labs - we walk at least 6 days a week for about 45 minutes each day. I walk them together - a leash on each hand! When I began walking 5 weeks ago, I started them at 30 minutes (one is almost 10 and the other is 8). I also had to take it a little slower on some of the more humid days. I mapped it out and we average 2.5 miles in 45 minutes - which they handle very well.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I take my German Shepherd jogging with me every morning and allow her time to sniff around and make pit stops about every quarter mile or so. We usually do 5-7 miles per day. When the weather is really nice we'll go for a walk in the evening too. I also take her hiking up in the mountain parks on the weekends during the cooler months, and just started her on dock diving last month so now she gets to swim too!
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I only have one medium-sized dog and I usually walk her for about 2miles between 30-45 minutes at least three days a week. I shoot for every day.
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have three English Bull dogs and to say the least get tired quickly. I have a fenced yard that they love to run and play together in and chase sticks, etc and they have this all day when I am at work. Twice a week we go to the park after work to run but they don't like to do that long. On weekends I take the older female and my new puppy for about a 3 mile walk and both are very tired all day as it is a lot for them. My male cannot walk like that as he has a breathing issue, however he does enjoy his mile walk and I take the puppy along also or just him, as the puppy needs more exercise than the other two.They would much prefer to go for a ride in the car every day!
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My dog (a Weimaraner) is probably one of the luckiest dogs around...she goes to work with my hubby every day and he works on a golf course! She usually gets a good 5-10 km run around the golf course while my hubby checks out the conditions first thing in the morning! Then in the evening we were usually only taking her out for a last pee, but when I started MFP this past Spring, I began taking her for a 30 min walk at the end of the night to help increase my own activity since I have a desk job and I am happy to report that both her and I love our end of evening walk together, even if she doesn't really need it! Then on weekends it is usually two walks per day for a total of 45 min, and then I also try and take her to the dog park because she LOVES :love: to play with other dogs and it REALLY tuckers her out! :happy:
  • Dutchie1961
    Options
    I have a dachshund mutt (Spike, 7yo) and a labrador X bouvier (Spooky, 7yo). So one small, one medium sized.

They are walked together 3x a day, each time at least 30 minutes. They get to run and play off leash. I try to stick to an 8 hour schedule.

3 times a week I take them for an early morning run instead of a walk: anything between 3 and 6.5 kilometers (25-45 minutes). Unless the weather is really bad.

When there's a lot of snow, I can't take Spike for a run, the snow gets packed between his toes and he lies down to remove it. I think it also hurts him. Even walks have to be short on those days. I once had to carry him back (12 kgs) because the snow bothered his feet so much.
  • apachebat
    apachebat Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My old friend gets 3 walks a day. They're pretty short though, because his joints just can't handle long walks. His back legs start to drag and he trips. (And yes, he's on medication to help with pain and mobility.) It's always surprising to me when his legs start to tire out because he has no trouble pacing around the house for what seems like hours on end! Oh well. I'm sure I'll do weird stuff when I'm old too!
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mainly the only exercise my dog gets is going up the stairs out of the apartment, walking outside to potty, and back down the stairs. I try to walk her around the building at least once a day and she'll get a walk around the complex at least once a week. She'll be 15 in January, so not much exercise required anymore!

When she was younger we were always doing something and went on walks almost daily.
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    Every morning!! 30 - 60 minutes. And usually a bike ride in the afternoon/evening for 45 minutes.

He's a border collie...
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog right now twice a day, total of 45 minutes. Currently we live in a house with a big fenced in back yard, so he gets plenty of exercise. We are probably moving soon into an apartment so the walks will have to increase to make sure he gets enough exercise.
  • LunaSea97
    Options
    I don't have dogs but my neighbor and I take her four dogs to the beach near our house four or five times a week. We go early (sunrise) and are usually gone for a couple hours.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My 6-year-old lab gets about 1-2 miles in the morning (20-45 minutes) depending on time and between 2-3 miles (40-60 minutes) most evenings, for 3-5 miles a day. On the weekends she might get 5-7 miles on a hike in the mountains. That's in addition the runs I do for myself - I've been getting fit and spending more time bonding with my fur child at the same time!
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    I have two working cockers that get walked 6 times a day for about 10-15mins a time......When I can I include them in clients walks as I am a dog walker so if I have space for them and the dogs Im walking are nice then they get thrown in with the gang... I also go longer walks with mates at the weekends weather dependant. My two refuse to poo in the garden so walkies in the woods out back are a necessity ;)
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My Buddies, Mr. Jingles in the Alabama Sweater(Schnoodle), and 'LilBit' Toby(Poodle w/LONG tail and legs, adopted from a No Kill Shelter, saved from extermination, had been abused), in the Automn Ribbons love to walk in the neighborhood. We walk about 1/2 mile or so. That is enough for both of them. Toby has to walk twice as fast to keep up! Mr. Jingles has a genetic knee displacement that causes him to raise and hold his left leg occasionally as he walks. That, and if either pup start showing signs of exhaustion, they get to ride. Toby likes to either ride on top of the canopy or down underneath in the undercarriage. We carry a No Spill water bowl for them to refresh themselves. We also go several times aweek to the parks and walk 1 to 2 miles. So the pups walk about 1/2 mile, or less before getting to ride the rest of the way. They absolutely LOVE it!!! BTW: Mr. Jingles is 4, weighs 19lbs. Toby is about 1 year and some months, vet's best quess, so we call July 4th his BD. Oh & he weighs just 6 pounds! Both are Pure Love!

2uj6mgj.jpg
    30iga4n.jpg