Replies

• UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Umm...no. :smile:
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You have come too far to give up now!!!! Have you measured? Maybe take a break from the scale instead of taking a break from the lifestyle. My scale is certainly not my friend and I notice a bigger difference in my measurements and the way my clothes fit than in the numbers on the scale...
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should give up the diet mentality. :) Go to maintenance for a month or two. This doesn't mean eating pizza every night and pigging out on cheesecake, but eating at a higher, more sustainable calorie intake where more treats like that are allowed and everything it less strict. Still get in your lean proteins, dairy, whole grains, veggies, and fruit, but take a break. Keep up the exercise at least 3x times a week; go for 30 minute walks if you want. Or pick up the weights which (to me) are less dreadful than plain old cardio.

Good luck.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Don't give up you could try to maintain your weight for a while then go back to dieting but don't give up because you will put weight back on:)
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If it was easy, this site would not exist.

Stick with it. Focus on life style changes. If you are thinking of "reverting" back to old habits, its not a life style change.
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    GIVING UP IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!! Focus, dig in and do it...
  • TakuraHunt
    Options
    Don't give up. I said the samething you are saying now... I'll walk away for a little while and I'll come back. I joined MFP in May of 2011. I went from 185 - 150 in about 3 months. I was doing great, eating right, running everyday or just about eveyday, working out. I stopped logging my food in August. I dilocated my elbow and stopped working out in November. I said I would start logging on again and tracking my activity and food. I would log one day and not again for weeks, than I would come back for a day or so, and stop again for weeks. I got on my scale on 9/21/12 and was heavier than when I origianally started - 190lbs. It is soo much harder to get back into the grove after walking away. I know it's hard to stay motivated sometimes, but look at how far you've come, and ask yourself if you really want to go backwards, or keep moving forward... Just a thought :wink:
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    In all honesty its not a good idea. Learn from my mistakes, I stopped for 5 weeks and gained back like 7 pounds....which was all that I had lost before then :( Don't give up!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't ready to commit yet. Being successful requires perseverance and consistency...not everyone can do it. Are you one of the people who can?
  • chynatowngirl44
    chynatowngirl44 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you are posting this, then you already have the motivation somewhere deep down inside to workout and get it done. Like I have told others, you don't wait for the motivation to get things done, you get up, get moving them the motivation comes. Stop stewing over it and second guessing yourself. Take control over your life and health and just get up and GET IT DONE. Stop making excuses and just get moving. YOU CANNOT HAVE EXCUSES AND RESULTS, PICK ONE OR THE OTHER.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So I am thinking of taking a break from all this weight loss way of living. I lost 60 lbs about three years ago and have put back on 20 lbs. I desperately wanted to get rid of those lbs that I regained.

My diet has been right on the mark. Eating my calories with healthy food, drinking all my water, but I just don't have the motivation to exercise. I just can't seem to do anything over and above my daily activities.

Dieting isn't enough, although I wish it was. Any advice? Should I take a break for a little while? :sad:

the issue is to rethink exercise as something u do for yourself b/c u enjoy it. if u don't u'll always fall off the wagon. think of ways that might make exercise something u miss, not a chore!
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Don't---about six months from now you will appreciate the fact that you did not stop. I have started and stopped so many times and each time the return was much harder. However, recently I decided that i did not want to go another year unhappy with my appearance and I know I am the only person who can change it. This is the longest I have been workout this year (today made 90 days)--started with turbo jams 20 minutes and know I workout for at least an hour---and the scale has started moving in the right direction. So don't quit---workout three times a week and build from there if you can
  • BoxerMelody
    BoxerMelody Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Rollar Skating or something outside of regular exercise :) Dont give up!!!
  • fitnhealthy21
    Options
    Don't give up!! Trust me, it's harder to get back at it after you've taken a break! You can do it!
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Make yourself get motivated to do SOME exercise. It doesn't have to be pumping iron at the gym, or running a marathon. Go for a walk. Challenge yourself to do something moderate for 20-30 minutes a few days a week- then increase it. Do jillian michaels 30 day shred (30 minutes for a month).
    This is a LIFESTYLE change- meaning it should be FOR LIFE. Therefore, there is NO "taking a break". All that means is you have to re-evaluate what you are doing, and change it.
    Don't quit. It will only be so much harder and so much worse when you try to go back.
  • MelStrey
    Options
    Maybe you should read 'Why We Get Fat & What To Do About It' by Gary Taubes (a sort of less intense version of his Good Calories Bad Calories book). He suggests some interesting (and old) ideas in his book that might motivate you or at least give you some empirical evidence to consider. It is super cheap via Amazon for the Kindle.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Skip One day, That's it. Break the routine up, then come back strong. You've done it b4, you can do it again, only better
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So I am thinking of taking a break from all this weight loss way of living. I lost 60 lbs about three years ago and have put back on 20 lbs. I desperately wanted to get rid of those lbs that I regained.

My diet has been right on the mark. Eating my calories with healthy food, drinking all my water, but I just don't have the motivation to exercise. I just can't seem to do anything over and above my daily activities.

Dieting isn't enough, although I wish it was. Any advice? Should I take a break for a little while? :sad:

Any advice?...yes don't quit unless you want to gain all 60 lbs and be back where you started. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So it is absolutely possible to lose weight without exercise. All that is required is to stay within your calorie goal. If you're burned out you can take a week or 2 and eat at maintenance calories and ease up on the workouts. But anything over maintenance for an extended period of time and you will add to your 20 gain. It's not easy and it takes commitment. It all comes down to how bad do you want this?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

If you have gained 20 pounds while eating at or under your calories, you have overestimated your TDEE and are eating too much. Recalculate it with a more sedentary lifestyle, and eat 10-20% less than that number. Not exercising should not make you gain weight if you aren't overeating.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't despair - it takes time and resolve and desire. Don't give up because you are only giving up on yourself. Slow and steady wins the race - perhaps you are just over-thinking things. Perhaps if you re-evaluate what you are eating and change it up a little or eat your food as mini-meals if you don't now. As for exercising - walking in the fresh air whenever you can not only puts some motion into your life but can do wonders for your mental outlook. You need to tell yourself that you can do it and believe in yourself that you can do it because you CAN do it!