Do you have any "rules"?

Options

Replies

• almaavila
    Options
    Yes,
    1-i workout 5x a week, 35-60min or more. In the weekends i usually don't workout but i always try to stay active.(mowing lawn, cleaning, jumping on trampoline w/ my daughter etc.)
    2-Log everything i eat so i don't go over my calories.
    3-No soda or sugary drinks. just water, i rather eat my calories & not drink them :)
    4-No fast food, i cant remember the last time i had fast food.
    5-I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and 2 snacks. B4 mfp i used to not eat that much bc i was scared to gain weight and now that i'm eating more (healthy food) I think i'm loosing more than when i was not eating.
    I just recently joined mfp, I was stuck at 135 lbs for the longest and while on mfp i have lost 4 lbs, I've never in my life weighed 131lb i feel gr8. My husband just recently told me i look like a crackhead. lol!!! his way of saying i'm loosing weight.
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm up late as a rule, so my rule is normally no food after 9. Each meal has to be around 300 calories. No eating before a weigh in. No eating in my room. No using a large plate. Wow, I have more rules than I thought lmao xD
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    If over calories one day eat less the next day
    Must log everything helps me stay on track and not slack off as much
    300 calorie meals (I try but its hard to do this at every meal)
    no sugary drinks (juices or soda) stick to water and tea
    60 minute workout 6 days a week
    no junk food
    no beef
    no sweets
    eat a vegetable or fruit at every meal
    no snacks or if you must it has to be healthy
    minimal fast food say once or twice a month-try to get salads or thing with least amount of calories
    only eating at the kitchen table

the list gets longer every day.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    No beer until after I excercise. A lot of the time I don't even feel like one if I've worked hard enough. Win-win situation.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No cheat days. I end up undoing the deficit I accomplished during the week when I have a cheat day..
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any rules... it's human nature to want to break rules, so how is the urge to not follow my own rules going to help me to be successful? It's not :)
    I would say my only rule is NO Chinese food. Everything else is game. lol

I find that it's necessary to have a cheat meal a week and to not omit anything that I love...just eat it in moderation. I think the more limitations we give ourselves, the unhappier we're going to be, and thus we will be unsuccessful. Think of it is as a LIFE LONG thing...not just a diet... are you really going to follow your rules for the REST OF YOUR LIFE? probably not. Look at it as a way to be healthy for life! :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Eat 160 g of protein every day
    Try to eat ice cream every day
    If you work out.....work out hard (vigorous effort)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have these guidelines but my life is not very routine so sometimes I dont hit them all.

1. Limited to 1 diet coke or monster per day.
    2. Limited to fast food only once per week.
    3. 100 ounces of water per day.
    4. Not allowed to beat myself up for failure.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    1 - Never say no to something I want, just plan on more exercise that day.
    2 - 5 days of cardio, 5 days of alternating str toning, 2 rest days
    3 - Moderation, moderation, moderation.
    4 - If you're hungry- eat, no point starving yourself. Just know the difference between feeding boredom, and feeding hungry.
    5 - Keep fresh fruit on hand ALWAYS,
    6 - make my own bread, granola bars, whole wheat muffins for snacking/eating
    7 - get the house clean by 11am. I usually break that rule 3 times a week :laugh:
    8 - don't beat yourself up for having a big food day. life happens, go with it.
    9 - MOVE MORE EAT LESS, or eat more if you move a LOT more nomnom
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I relax my diet on the weekend, and always exercise on those days (I loathe the word "cheat"... I'm not doing anything wrong!)
    At least 5 days of exercise a week.
    Don't feel guilty about what I've eaten.
    No fake, chemical bombs with the "low fat!" label on them.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I banned myself from certain foods - I know this is a lifestyle change but I felt I needed to with one or two items; as well as take outs. I also don't like missing more than one or two days max of working out a week.
  • ChelseyWestfall
    Options
    My "snack" for the day is always a protein, ie. beef jerkey. Helps fill you up and reach your protein goal. Also, I try to eat as few calories as possible for breakfast and lunch so I am able to enjoy a more "normal" dinner with my family and still not go over my calorie limit. It's easier for me personally to eat low-cal when my hubby and kids aren't around......
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I only have one rule.

Go hard, then go home.

It's served me well over the past few years since I adopted it, in every aspect of my life, including health and fitness.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1) Get enough protein
    2) eat some kind of vegetable each day
    3) don't eat too much

If I break them, then I spank myself! No seriously, I just try to do better.
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No liquid calories
    Minimal artificial sweetener
    A gallon of water per day
    Everything is fair game in moderation
    I will almost always go over calories on my rest day..rule is to keep it clean
    Always pack healthy snacks / don’t get too hungry
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1. If exercise is stressing me out - then Im doing it wrong. It should frustrate me, yes- it should make me feel weak and ineffective if thats what I am, it should make me want to try harder and reach farther and the more I dont want to- the more I scowl at something, then be quiet for a minute, sit still ready to try and then do it to prove Im better than I was a second ago. I'll clamp down and get stubborn and then all of a sudden my stubborness reverses and works on my behalf.

Frustrating yes - stressing me out? No.

If exercise is stressing me out then its a huge red flag that Im out of balance. Something out there is either taking attention away from what I need to be doing for myself and I cant do it OR exercise is taking the place of something else Im refusing to deal with OR Im doing it the wrong way and its causing me injuries and backsliding.

If exercise is stressing me out - its time to reassess everything on the network connection map.

2. If I hit a brick wall and Im so stuck that I cant even fathom that there IS a way over or around it, then its time to stop and ask for someone to help me in person. You cant do it completely alone - sometimes you need someone just standing nearby watching you. Even if you dont want to see them watching you.

3. If I say I hate something, or would look stupid doing it, or im not coordinated enough to do it, or its dumb, or i dont think it will work for me even though Ive never tried it - much less given it a couple months at least... these are surefire signs that I should be doing it. You cant change your life if you're too scared to change your routine.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1. If I eat heavy, then I better lift heavier.
    2. Chicken is my friend.
    3. Little to no caffeine

Other than that, I roam free.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    mmmm without realising it ive got some foundation rules 1) drink lots of water esp before during a meal. 2) always take water bottle out
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    try and plan meals as much as possible. always eat breakfast. if i fancy a treat then i have it just work it in my calories.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My rules are more 'big picture' rules than rules specifically about diet and exercise - they are rules to be applied to every area of my life.

Do something nice for myself every day.
    Focus on quality of life, and see everything in terms of how it relates to that.
    Be choosy about who and what I allow to occupy my time and my mind.
    Simplify my life.