What's your best eating rule?

Options
I try to keep all my meals under 500 calories.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    chew thoroughly
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Veggies first, and only thing allowed for second helpings..
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I really try to eat when I'm eating. That means, I'm not reading, I'm not MFPing, I'm not sitting at my computer working, I'm not driving.
    I'm there.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I make sure I know the nutritional value of anything before it goes in the food-hole.
  • ashley7979
    Options
    No rules, just better choices!
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I try to take every meal and every single bite consciously. That means thinking only about that food Im eating and enjoying the moment.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Only eat when I'm actually hungry, not because I'm bored or because it's breakfast/ lunch/ dinner time.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Have one loose eating day a week (mine's Friday). That is eat what you want so that you still enjoy your new healthy lifestyle.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    No rules, just better choices!

I really like this rule actually.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Don't give a crap about what other people think about my food choices since I leave my diary open. It used to be embarrassing to have treats or to eat out, and I felt like I had to justify everything I ate to my MFP friends. Not anymore!
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Snack or inbetween meals are fresh/raw. Like raw zucchini, or an apple. Funny this was always a rule for my kids.. I do not have a reason why it didnt mean ME. ???? I know I wanted them to eat better than I, maybe they acatually would if I had been a good example.
  • irishbunnylover
    irishbunnylover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make sure I know the nutritional value of anything before it goes in the food-hole.

LOL
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Log it!

Oh and stop eating when you're full!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Know what I am eating!

I look things up before I eat, and usually log a meal before I eat it.

Fewer surprises and overages that way.

One other rule I have made for myself is that I don't eat at work unless I brought it. We have a table where people put things to share- if it's there, it's up for grabs. People bring in all sorts of baked goodies, etc.

If I don't eat any of it, it's easier to stay on target. I'm not so good at the "just a little" thiing.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good quality protein! Realistically this doesnt have to be every time you eat but whether you want to lose weight or gain weight its important your getting protein!
  • irishbunnylover
    irishbunnylover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try not to get my eating done by early evening. After that only a serving of fruit.
    Also, I noticed a big improvement in my health if I eat a cup of spinach every day.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I've never been one for hard and fast rules- I like to be able to eat something when I want it.

That being said, I have plenty of guidelines I use to help guide myself to better eating habits. I try to estimate portions by eyeball and THEN measure them to see how close I am. I can eyeball portions like a machine. Which to me years ago would have sounded scary (GAH measuring EVERYTHING? WHAT AM I? A ROBOT?) but now I've come to see how it fits into my brain as easily as calculating the height of stairs before trying to put my foot on it.

I also portion out things that come in larger servings (eg snacks and chips, I put them in snack bags- one serving per bag; same goes for packages of chicken- 4 oz servings)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't have rules
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Portion control - find out what a reasonable portion is of each food and stick to it!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Don't.