"You should only lift weights once your physically fit"

Options
".. Or else it won't have much of an effect." This is what my brother just told me. He's a fitness junkie so I'm kinda worried he knows what he's talking about.

He also said cardio shrinks muscle. :huh:

Please tell me he's wrong so I can keep lifting.

*you're
ugh >.<

Replies

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about lifting but I can tell you that is false.
    You will obviously get results from lifting weights, whether you are overweight or not. You would get stronger for one, and increase your lean body mass. Only difference might be that you may not actually see the results as quickly as you would if you were lean. IDK.
    Cardio isnt going to shrink your muscles either...and I dont have an explaination for that. Just no.
  • bohoatthebeach
    Options
    Cardio doesn't shrink muscle, but it's possible he's getting confused with the fact that cardio can build lean muscle.
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i don't agree!! everyone needs cardio and strength training regardless of fitness levels :S
  • jamface11
    Options
    Lifting helps retain muscle, so keeps metabolism higher as you lose weight. You may not gain much muscle after newbie gains, but its better than losing it all and being skinny-fat :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I hope your brother also told you....

* you should only do yoga if you're extremely flexible
    * you should only eat when you are full
    * you should only take the down escalator when you are on the bottom floor
    * you should only rush if you've already arrived at your destination
  • 8Spokes
    8Spokes Posts: 35
    Options
    Cardio CAN have a negative impact on muscle mass. Any bodybuilder will tell you to be careful with cardio. Moderate is good... intense will begin to break down muscle tissue for energy.

Look at a "runner's" physique. Lean, yes...but not necessarily the type of lean everyone wants.

So it depends on your goals.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Lifting helps with metabolism. Therefore helps with weight loss. When you lift your body still burns calories for hours but when you do cardio the burning stops when you do.

If you are trying to lose weight lift small for longer reps

If you are trying to build muscle and not lose weight lift large for shorter reps.

to achieve muscle and weight loss do both cardio and lifting
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Nope lift as your losing.

Thank me later.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you're brother has been reading up on bro science.

just pat him on the head and start lifting
    Cardio doesn't shrink muscle, but it's possible he's getting confused with the fact that cardio can build lean muscle.
    ?? what is lean muscle ? muscle is muscle none of it's leaner than any other type of muscle. leanness has more to do with bpody fat percentage (just like the meat you buy in the grocery store) rather than anything to do with the muscle
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Cardio CAN have a negative impact on muscle mass. Any bodybuilder will tell you to be careful with cardio. Moderate is good... intense will begin to break down muscle tissue for energy.

Look at a "runner's" physique. Lean, yes...but not necessarily the type of lean everyone wants.

I think thats what he was getting at. He is terrible at explaining things
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    ".. Or else it won't have much of an effect." This is what my brother just told me. He's a fitness junkie so I'm kinda worried he knows what he's talking about.

*you're
    ugh >.<

He is wrong. I lifted when I was obese and here are the results of my success --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

You do want put lifting first and cardio 2nd, and don't do too much cardio. You can't out exercise too many calories and you just make yourself more tired. Just do enough cardio.

Definitely keep lifting. I hope this gives you incentive... Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've known a lot of self-proclaimed fitness junkies who really don't know what they're talking about. They'll skim through an article in the most recent issue of Men's Health, take away one little point and preach is like the Gospel until next month's issue.

Don't shun weights just because you're not fit. If you want to lose weight in the most healthy way possible, start lifting weights when you start trying to get fit.

You aren't going to be able to start out with weights that most people would consider 'heavy lifting' but you should start with the heaviest weights you can without losing your form for 12-15 reps.
  • shrinkingkiwi
    shrinkingkiwi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I guess I would just say - if you experience any pain othert than the usual fatigue, see a physio sooner rather than later. Sometimes you need to do some exercises to stabilise the small supporting muscles first, or get the position right. If you don't get it early it can derail your exercise programme. Just recovering from knee dramas caused by squats with weights, but got it early......it will be much harder to change your positioning later on.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I lifted while losing weight. Glad I did.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can lift lighter at the start and build your strength up from there. Cardio alone however, will eat your muscle too. When you lift weights you're telling your body that you need the muscle and it will focus more on your fat for energy.

If you only do cardio you'll end up at your ideal weight but look gaunt.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Cardio will only burn muslce if there is nothing else available to burn. Keep up your protein in your diet to maintain the building blocks that muscles need and also enough fat to fuel those exercises.

Providing you maintain good nutrition and fuel your cardio work with enough carbohydrate foods you will maintain your muscle tissue and may even build some muscle if you have done no exercise at all before.

Strength training is imprtant too but you don't need to lift weights to increase strength - your body is enough; certainly at the beginning. A good yoga class will increase your overall body strength; including core.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I think thats what he was getting at. He is terrible at explaining things

but even that isnt true. doing an activity will not give you that look unless you are genetically predisposed to look like that. runners physique in terms of the elite runners are that way because they are genetically built in a way that helps them excel at that sport. the same goes for swimmer's physiques or body builder physiques. those people are genetically predisposed to look that way anyway and of course with proper training and diet they reach their full potential.

as an example, does this person look like a typical ballerina's body?
    misty-copeland-300x180.jpg?w=300&h=180&crop=1
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

*you're
    ugh >.<
    He's right on both counts and totally wrong.

Yes, doing weight lifting will not *visually* have much effect until the weight loss occurs - those six pack abs that I have are hidden under the layer of fat. But weight lifting and the resulting muscle build up is great for physical fitness - it creates tissue that consumes calories, it provides strength, many exercises help with balance and stability and flexibility (and others hinder it) so lifting will help you become physically fit.
    Yes cardio shrinks muscles. Well, sort of. Your body is in an equilibrium building and destroying muscle constantly based on nutrition and calorie needs - when people do long sessions of cardio and glycogen stores are lower, the energy sources to fuel the body will come from both fat and muscle. High intensity extended cardio consumes more energy from muscle than low intensity cardio. This is another reason to do resistance training - to help build back.

Do resistance training, such as weight lifting, Your body will say "more" and "thank you"
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has me worried that I shouldn't be doing my Insanity DVDs. I better not be digging a hole for myself, I have intentions of weight lifting after this thing and I don't want to feel like a weak kitten at the end of Insanity :huh:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Insanity does favour cardio over strength training, but there is one session most weeks. You could try taking out one of the more intensive cardio routines and slot in one more strength routine per week so you are training strength twice per week.

Keep your nutrients up and take your rest days and you'll be fine if you are already basically fit and healthy.

You don't need weights to strength train (I'll be shot down for that one!) - your bodyweight is resistance enough at any stage in the game unless you actually want bigger muscles and above ordinary strength.