MFP vs Sparkpeople?

Options
2»

Replies

• rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    In fact, you're lucky to be able to ask that question on here: many forums don't allow you to mention the competition by name. MFP must be very secure (as I think it should be!).

I would think the real reason (rather than being secure or insecure) you shouldn't mention the competition's name on your own website is that you kind of open yourself up for the possibility of future defamation based litigation.

ok so do I need a lawyer????? :wink:
  • clothestoburn
    clothestoburn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sounds like MFP needs a recipe calculator?!!
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    I may be the only person out there who's never heard of Sparkpeople before today, but I think that this is an excellent thread to have posted (whether the name of the competition should have been allowed or not). I now officially know I'm on one of the best sites out there for support and ease of use, yet obviously there are certain elements, like the recipe calculator and more options for measurements, that MFP should take into consideration as additions to this site to make it just that much more amazing!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    In fact, you're lucky to be able to ask that question on here: many forums don't allow you to mention the competition by name. MFP must be very secure (as I think it should be!).

I would think the real reason (rather than being secure or insecure) you shouldn't mention the competition's name on your own website is that you kind of open yourself up for the possibility of future defamation based litigation.

ok so do I need a lawyer????? :wink:

:laugh:
    MFP might. Just kidding!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I use spark people for recipes, but MFP gets my vote for everything else!
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    MFP all the way, baby! The only thing I use sparkepeople for is the recipe calculator, and I've never even joined to do that. I just don't save any of my recipes. I take all the NI and plug them in here, so don't need to save there.

Clearly, the only small thing lacking from this fabulous website is a recipe calculator!
  • Honey7o2
    Options
    I also only use spark for the rescipe calculator. I didn't even know the site was similar to the idea of this one until I noticed other people talking about it lol. I've never signed up for spark. I just saved the page with the calculator in my favorites.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use spark people for their Youtube channel (especially if its raining). That's only because they were the first ones I came across to do youtube video workouts though - I think there're probably others out there I haven't come across. But their workout channel is good - especially for exercise beginners.

I also used it at the beginning for their nutritional articles. A lot of nutritional theories get thrown around MFP message boards in a haphazard way and I liked that they had some more systematic discussion of it. Having said that, I love the message boards here, and can't stand SP message boards. People here are ALL awesome.

I don't like the "Spark Points" crap. I didn't like getting 5-6 emails / day (blocked them all now thank god). I hated articles going over multiple pages. The site design was terrible (and this really is the most important point).

I haven't found the recipe calculator, but I'm happy with the way MFP logs food. I think MFP could have slightly better reporting features and maybe some "how to use MFP" pages but other than that, I love it. I've logged in every day since 15 Jan. And most importantly, I lost 7kg (15.5lb) in 5 weeks so far - by eating more and exercising less!! I'd NEVER have thought to do that if it weren't for MFP.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Having been to spark 2 or 3 times, I can say I have never gotten any use out of it.

oh.... OOOPPPPSSSSS I guess I'm not to computer site savvy when it comes to things like that... I didn't even think in those terms... hopefully they won't make me turn in my profile, and leave with my tail between my legs.... I'm sorry MFP!!! I really didn't mean to mention the "competition" by name.....

Don't worry about it too much. Spark People is no competition at all.
  • NaturalMom
    Options
    I agree. MFP wins hands down.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm with the majority of responders. I use the recipe calculator at Sparks, and that's all. I do know that awhile back Mike said that they were working on a recipe calculator for MFP. I don't know when that will roll out, but hopefully it will be soon!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Having been to spark 2 or 3 times, I can say I have never gotten any use out of it.

:laugh: Actually Mike probably just hasn't seen this thread yet, I think it's in the rules to not bring up competitor sites.:glasses:
  • candicemcl
    Options
    MFP is easier to get around, but I like the range for daily intake of various nutrients on the other site. I use both for food...but socialize here so much easier to post/reply in one forum than the zillions it seems the other one has.