Thyroid treatment without meds?

Options
13»

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "Most women are dying to get this diagnosis and get on the meds."

I, and others I know, are working with diagnosis of thyroid dysfunction w/o the meds. I have been for two years.
    I was diagnosed accidentally as a scan for a head injury showed growths on my thyroid, then I tested as having low thyroid function.
    I'm exercising, eating better - as in being aware of my protein intake by using MFP, and I take, nearly every day, a Thyroxin-Free Thyroid Glandular capsule. My pharmacist, who I trust more than the doctors, suggested I do research before picking up the meds prescribed, as once you are on them the thyroid stops needing to work on it's own. It is VERY difficult to get off the MEDS.....and the only person I know who is on them constantly needs the dosage adjusted, as her moods and weight are out of her hands.

Best wishes for being able to take control of this yourself - keep researching.

You're on meds. Just because it's a more natural compounded drug doesn't mean you're "working with diagnosis of thyroid dysfunction w/o meds." To imply this is dangerous--you ARE being treated.
  • deebug10588
    Options
    I was also recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My level was 0.01 which seems to be much lower than yours. I was having issues post-partum and couldn't shake them(I'm 5 months out now). I was using FAM to chart and noticed that my morning temperatures were hardly ever above 97 degrees which flagged me to talk to my midwife about it. I had been taking encapsulated placenta after having my baby and when I was taking them, I wouldn't have many symptoms. However, if I ran out, I would be depressed and easily overwhelmed (among other things) within 24 hours. So, I knew it wasn't "just depression" but that something else was going on because the placenta is essentially hormones. Anyway, long story short I have just started taking Nature's Sunshine brand "Master Gland" for adrenal and general endocrine support and Thyro-Gold (I'm still waiting on the delivery) for thyroid. My midwife recommended both. That being said, she has more background education in medicine and alternatives than most other midwives I am familiar with, so maybe seeing a holistic doctor or naturopath would help. I'm not sure if regular doctors are familiar with these kinds of treatments. My midwife takes both of these supplements herself and said that she has been taking to for 10 years and nows many other women who have taken it and they claim it's as good as Sythroid. I have not taken the prescription, so I can't compare, but I know other women can. I ordered both items online and I am meeting with my midwife to continue to monitor my levels and figure out how much Thyro-Gold I need to take. Because it replaces the hormones your body isn't making you can still overdose and become thyrotoxic.
    I have nothing against medications, but I always like to try a more natural approach first if there is one available. So, hope this helps and good luck getting back to normal. :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was also recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My level was 0.01 which seems to be much lower than yours. I was having issues post-partum and couldn't shake them(I'm 5 months out now). I was using FAM to chart and noticed that my morning temperatures were hardly ever above 97 degrees which flagged me to talk to my midwife about it. I had been taking encapsulated placenta after having my baby and when I was taking them, I wouldn't have many symptoms. However, if I ran out, I would be depressed and easily overwhelmed (among other things) within 24 hours. So, I knew it wasn't "just depression" but that something else was going on because the placenta is essentially hormones. Anyway, long story short I have just started taking Nature's Sunshine brand "Master Gland" for adrenal and general endocrine support and Thyro-Gold (I'm still waiting on the delivery) for thyroid. My midwife recommended both. That being said, she has more background education in medicine and alternatives than most other midwives I am familiar with, so maybe seeing a holistic doctor or naturopath would help. I'm not sure if regular doctors are familiar with these kinds of treatments. My midwife takes both of these supplements herself and said that she has been taking to for 10 years and nows many other women who have taken it and they claim it's as good as Sythroid. I have not taken the prescription, so I can't compare, but I know other women can. I ordered both items online and I am meeting with my midwife to continue to monitor my levels and figure out how much Thyro-Gold I need to take. Because it replaces the hormones your body isn't making you can still overdose and become thyrotoxic.
    I have nothing against medications, but I always like to try a more natural approach first if there is one available. So, hope this helps and good luck getting back to normal. :)

Hold the phones. You have a TSH of 0.01?

Thyroid works "opposite"--the higher the TSH, the more the pituitary needs to produce hormones to pick up the thyroid's slack. A.k.a, hypothyroidism, as the thyroid is underactive. Hence, being over 3 (at 7.2 like the OP is), means her levels are low.

A "low TSH" (under 1-.5, usually) means the thyroid is OVERactive... as in, the pituitary is doing less of its partnership with the thyroid, because the thyroid is producing so much hormones. You having a 0.01 TSH would mean your levels of thyroid hormone are actually HIGH.

As in, a TSH of 0.01 is hyperthyroid. How did you possibly get diagnosed with hypothyroidism with a TSH of that?
  • megsprettyinpink
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto disease in January of this year after a routine bloodtest, my TSH was 3.3, which is lower, but common for those with Hashimoto (which is essentially all of the symptoms/issues of hypothyroidism but it's an autoimmune disease). I had lost 90 lbs, then gained 50 back and rollercoastered and was very frustrated. Essentially, my doctor explained that because of my thyroid issues my body didn't know when I was hungry/full and that all my efforts were being frustrated by the thyroid condition. She explained that the medication wouldn't be a magic bullet for weight loss but that it would make everything I was doing as far as diet and exercise matter and that the weight would stay off with effort instead of coming back quickly. I started on Synthroid in January and it has made an AMAZING difference. It is a small pill 1x per day and since January I've lost 53 pounds and it has been much less of a struggle than before. I would suggest you give the medication a try--it can take months or longer to get to the correct dosage so it is a patience game but you should feel much better--I stopped being so tired, depressed, and experiencing many of the other symptoms. It took four dosage adjustments but now I am set. I would highly suggest you find a qualified endocrinologist in your area who has experience with treating thyroid disorders. Mine is coupled with treatment for PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) so I really wanted someone with experience. Also, as a heads up, four weeks is not long enough to see if the medication is effective, my doctor likes me to go 8 weeks between blood tests but no less than 6 because apparently that is how long it takes to see a difference in the blood work. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to chat. Have a great day!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for your question but I wanted to add that you shouldn't get your hopes too high about any treatment helping your symptoms. I also discovered I had an underactive thyroid on "accident." Like you said, it made sense after - hair falling out, always cold, tired, etc. I've never been overweight, though, so I guess it never crossed anyone's mind. Anyway, I'm on Levothyroxene and my levels are fine now. I don't feel any different, though. My doctor said I may feel like I "woke up" after starting the meds and could feel 100% better, but she also warned me that I might not feel any different. She was right about that.
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    All:

This has all been extremely helpful. I really think I had just kind of gotten used to feeling the way I have been. Blaming it on some kind of mid-30s slump. I don't have anything against medication. I know medications can help in some circumstances. I just don't want to put all my eggs in the meds basket. I don't want to be like those people who take cholesterol meds but still eat double cheeseburgers every day. I really do feel convinced at this point that diet and supplements alone are not going to "fix" this. Even those taking a natural approach are taking a natural hormone supplement which I do consider medicinal. I'm still going to give it my 4 weeks and get retested just to make sure it wasn't some kind of crazy fluke, but I'm more and more convinced this has been my issue over the past year.
  • StaycJulia
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's which causes hypothyroidism. I am on a low dose of Thyroidsine, a hormone replacement. It works to relieve the lethargy, swollen thyroid and a few other symtoms but is definitely not a magic weight loss cure. Like you, my diet was also to blame.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Oh my levels were 7.2. So, seems to be pretty high from what I'm reading.

High is low, low is high for TSH. I am currently (purposely) very hyper"thyroid". my most recent level in August was .397 - below "optimal". This means my body is not requiring to make the thyroid hormone because I have too much. Again, my doctor is doing this purposely for right now. SLIGHT history for those wondering:
    2/3 of thyroid removed for cyst in 2010 and the 2 parathyroid were in the lobe.

Back to DoomFrog: I was feeling the same. I waited and waited and waited to go on the meds hoping that portion of my thyroid and my remaining para thyroids (also oddly inside the lobe which remained - odd because most people's are behind the gland) would begin to function. They did not. I was rapidly gaining weight, blood work was all way out of line, pre-stages of diabetes, more and more other meds... I finally took the synthroid, took the required supplements (para's control abosrption of calcium, mag, all that good stuff) and changed my diet and workout.

4 months later: no prestage diabetes, bloodwork back in check (bad cholesterol still a smidge high but given the changes in my triglycerides and good cholesterol, she was optimistic the bad was going to be the same optimal range soon, and I am hoping to come off my bp meds in Dec.

Moral of the story: I take .88mcg per day. My co-pay is $19.98 per month and the cost will go back down once she brings the levels to normal in a few months. Synthroid is cheap. The problem it poses is it HAS to be taken ALONE and not within 2 hours after eating or 4 hours from other medications. My suggestion for best absorption (I've done my research here both online and personal experience) is to take it with a glass of water before bed. I make sure I don't eat after 7:30 so I can take it by 930/10. This is also beneficial because we shouldn't eat less than two hours before we go to bed anyway :yawn:

Incidentally, she is keeping it high so taking me off the metformin (diabetes) doesn't stall my progress. She suspedcts to reduce my synthroid in Dec.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for your question but I wanted to add that you shouldn't get your hopes too high about any treatment helping your symptoms. I also discovered I had an underactive thyroid on "accident." Like you said, it made sense after - hair falling out, always cold, tired, etc. I've never been overweight, though, so I guess it never crossed anyone's mind. Anyway, I'm on Levothyroxene and my levels are fine now. I don't feel any different, though. My doctor said I may feel like I "woke up" after starting the meds and could feel 100% better, but she also warned me that I might not feel any different. She was right about that.

Maybe it isn't the right rx for you... it may be helping the blood levels but isn't correcting the real issue.
    Also, I feel amazing. I didn't feel different right away but then when I made my dietary and other changes EVERYTHING changed. The meds were changing my bloodwork and my levels were were they should be but until I decided to make some drastic changes in my own life and routine, the pill was only maksing the real issue... it won't change what you put in your body.
  • deebug10588
    Options
    My T3 and T4 were still low as well
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    All:

Thanks so much for all your great advice! I did find out that there is a family history. I talked to my family members last night who deal with this. I've decided that I'm going to ask for a referral to an endochrinologist if this is something I'll be dealing with forever. I'd rather have someone who is very familiar with the condition treat me. Thanks again!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    All:

Thanks so much for all your great advice! I did find out that there is a family history. I talked to my family members last night who deal with this. I've decided that I'm going to ask for a referral to an endochrinologist if this is something I'll be dealing with forever. I'd rather have someone who is very familiar with the condition treat me. Thanks again!

I know a lot of people weighed in on this and I just wanted to let you know that I also have hyperthyroidism. I was also wigged out at having to take a pill for the rest of my life and I tried in vain to regulate it myself but ended up having to take the pill every day anyways. I have been on it for 8 years.

I have had no adverse reaction to the medicine, I wake up in the morning and take it with my allergy medicine, though I do hate the hour long wait I have until I can eat breakfast, but that is a small price to pay for not being completely exhausted every single day. Plus my nails stopped bending/breaking after a while. I feel happier, more fit and normal than I used to.

:)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The medication they give is just a hormone (same idea as HRT treatment) It replaces the hormones your thyroid isn't making/not making enough of.
    Very common for women, pill is very safe, its just iodine basically as far as I know.
    It doesn't do anything else, it just acts the same as the stuff your body should be making

It's more than just iodine. If that were the case then just increasing your iodine levels would have an amazing effect and that's not always the case.

OP: I would request the natural thyroid medicine, Armour, before they put you on the synthroid or whatever the synthetic one is. Push for it if you have to. Armour supplies your body with BOTH the T3's and T4's where as synthroid only supplies one and "assumes" your body is going to convert it over to the other. When I thought I had an under active thyroid I did my research and Armour would have been the medicine I'd go with (turns out it was just my BC pill screwing up my hormones that made me feel the way I did).
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    very interesting info - thanks : )