Sugar Free or Fat Free?

Options

Replies

• Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I equate either with chemical ****-storm.
    Organic cream, real deal :). Even better, coconut milk coffee creamer :love:
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink coffee. Then the point is moot. haha. :)
  • rogue1022
    rogue1022 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that any thing FREE/LESS is not good for you at all due to the fact that they replace it all with unwanted chemicals you body does not need. Natural and in moderation is best. Fresh, raw and organic is my mantra! Good eating to you! :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    "Both will probably kill you - go for the one that tastes best!"

I like this answer.
    I have switch to using only a little flavor powder and then stevia.
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Neither, they're both fake foods. I'd go with milk.

What if your like me and you can't have milk?

Almond milk - Vanilla unsweetened is great!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Someone makes a creamer with stevia? Who?

Sweet Leaf brand has some in different flavors.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options

THIS!

Ditto. Half and half is better or low-fat milk.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    depends on what beliefs you subscribe to or what you're doing with your diet.

personally I'd do something with fat but no sugar. like heavy cream.

right now I put coconut oil in my coffee and tea. fats are great for me, but I don't take in sugar first thing in the morning.

The coconut oil doesn't just make it greasy and make you extra...um...poopy?
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink the coffee, and you want creamer use it. Skim your calories and fat and sugar off elsewhere in your diet. A cup of coffee with a serving of creamer isn't going to kill you nor make you fat if you adjust for it elsewhere.

This is what I started doing. I use full sugar/fat flavored creamers and it's all I need to use in my coffee. It's fewer calories, fat, and sugar than when I used regular half and half with granulated sugar. (At one point, I even added granulated sugar to the flavored creamer...I cut that out though and thank goodness. One time I forgot and made myself a cup with sugar and flavored creamer and had to dump it because it was soooo sweet; I couldn't drink it. I can't believe I used to put so much sugar in my coffee...goes to show you what changes you can't make without realizing it).
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My vote would be to go with what your body handles better. I am better at burning fat than sugar (for example my sugars became inbalanced when I was pregnant and diabetes is a big problem in my family, however my cholesterol is always great), so I try to choose sugar free when available. I just add a bit of splenda to the coffee to get the sweetness and I'm good :)
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love coffee, and even in my 1200 cal diet I have room for real half and half. If I want flavored coffee, I add a teaspoon of vanilla to the basket before turning the pot on. Pumpkin pie spice is nice too. Its easy to have flavored coffee using natural flavors. For a mocha just add a teaspoon of hot chocolate mix to the mug.

Again if you are watching what you put in your body, natural is the way to go, but if you are not, I dont think one of those is better than the other.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    201887995766015543_7TvqUbce_c.jpg

You win.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If the listed ingredients are something you need to be a science major to figure out then don't eat it!
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sugar free products add fat to compensate. Fat free add sugar. Why not just use moderation and enjoy real food. I do use some low fat sour cream and that works for me. I still use moderation too. I'd suggest more fruit and less fat/sugar foods.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Fat free generally means added sugar. Sugar free means that there is some type of sugar replacement. I never do fat free, except for dairy (fat can be removed without adding anything to it). I do sugar free because I'm a diabetic, but would not if I wasn't.
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I add some pumpkin pie spice creamer to my oatmeal. Mmmmm.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you dring ALOT of coffee, than there might be a concern here. I have 1 travel cup (probably 10-12 oz) each day and use half-&-half. Its about 2 TBSP (40 calories) and I don't worry about it. If it was 2 TBSP of something "fat free" (50 calories for Coffee-Mate vanilla) or "sugar free" (30 calories for Coffee-Mate vanilla). I wouldn't worry about that either.

And, as long as you don't log the time you spent cleaning your house, you should be all good. :wink:
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink the coffee, and you want creamer use it. Skim your calories and fat and sugar off elsewhere in your diet. A cup of coffee with a serving of creamer isn't going to kill you nor make you fat if you adjust for it elsewhere.

This is what I started doing. I use full sugar/fat flavored creamers and it's all I need to use in my coffee. It's fewer calories, fat, and sugar than when I used regular half and half with granulated sugar. (At one point, I even added granulated sugar to the flavored creamer...I cut that out though and thank goodness. One time I forgot and made myself a cup with sugar and flavored creamer and had to dump it because it was soooo sweet; I couldn't drink it. I can't believe I used to put so much sugar in my coffee...goes to show you what changes you can't make without realizing it).

Yeah. If you like your coffee with creamer, use the real stuff. The calorie difference isn't much and it's real. Just count it. In my opinion fat is better than sugar overall, but in moderation, of course. If you must use sugar, use cane sugar in small amounts and avoid high fructose corn syrup and foods that contain it. There is a long, involved explanation that has nothing to do with nutrition to support that advice, but I can't put that here. Read, The Omnivore's Dilemma, if you haven't already.
  • kjeldredge
    Options

What if your like me and you can't have milk?

I use Silk creamer and it is delicious!
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I buy the zero calorie coffee syrups instead of creamer. Yeah, they're full of chemicals and I shouldn't but I very rarely drink coffee anyways so on the rare occasion that I do, I don't mind using fake stuff in return for no additional calories. I like the classic hazelnut flavor by torani best. :)