Replies

• robin49505
    robin49505 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ditto that!
  • leanne5025
    leanne5025 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Neither, they're both fake foods. I'd go with milk.

What if your like me and you can't have milk?

Or try unsweetened almond milk. It tastes really good and doesn't have the sugars that milk has.
  • catholic_chick
    Options
    depends on what beliefs you subscribe to or what you're doing with your diet.

personally I'd do something with fat but no sugar. like heavy cream.

right now I put coconut oil in my coffee and tea. fats are great for me, but I don't take in sugar first thing in the morning.

+1
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would pick sugar free if it was me personally, but I also like soy milk if its available!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fully Agree!! Your body truly doesn't metabolize "fake" or "artificial" stuff .. even those sweeteners.

Aspartame is metabolized into aspartic acid, phenylalanine (these are amino acids found in chicken and fruit) and methanol. Stevia passes through your stomach undigested.

Neither of these items are harmful at reasonable doses. For Stevia I'd stay under 4mg/kg, for aspartame it's insanely high.

Thank you!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but here goes anyway...
    I normally drink one mug (2 cups) of coffee in the morning only. I like my coffee strong, sweet, and flavored. I am not worried about the small amount of chemicals I am consuming with my coffee since I try to balance it out with other things throughout the day.
    I use a couple tbsp of sugar free flavored creamer and if it isn't sweet enough for me then I add splenda or sweet and low. Chemicals! Ahhh! Yeah I know, I don't need a lecture please.
    My co worker doesn't like the after taste of artificial sweeteners, so she chooses the fat free creamers.

I honestly don't think there is a huge difference unless you are consuming gallons of the stuff. Go with what makes you happy.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I buy the zero calorie coffee syrups instead of creamer. Yeah, they're full of chemicals and I shouldn't but I very rarely drink coffee anyways so on the rare occasion that I do, I don't mind using fake stuff in return for no additional calories. I like the classic hazelnut flavor by torani best. :)

I just recently discovered that syrup and it is really good. I normally have 3Tbsp of SF creamer in a cup because I love the taste and like to have the lightness of the creamer. I have started replacing 1 tbsp with a teaspoon of the syrup, and it tastes just the same, and now saves me an extra 15 cals per cup. that's 45 cals for my 3 cups of half-caff I have every morning. Every little tweak adds up!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Neither, they're both fake foods. I'd go with milk.

What if your like me and you can't have milk?

i can't have milk so i use soy milk in my coffee. if fat free and sugar free coffee creamers are my only option then i would go with the one with the least amount of ingredients. at the end of the day i don't drink THAT much coffee so a tablespoon to me is not a huge deal.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    How about "Crap Free?" You define what crap is to your body. If sugar is a problem to your body, then go with sugar free. If fat is the problem, then go fat free. If neither bothers you, then get regular. If both bother you, use milk or go black.
  • gruvkitty
    gruvkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sugar free and healthy fats! There are plenty of sugar subs like Stevia, or a little maple syrup. Nix the unhealthy fats and go with small amounts of olive or coconut oil and some dairy ( if you can tolerate it). Your body needs healthy fats to function properly! But you don't need any sugar other than what you get from fruits and veggies naturally.

Of course, having a sugar tooth as I do, it's not so easy! So moderation!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    201887995766015543_7TvqUbce_c.jpg

You win.

Most fruit is fat free?
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink the coffee, and you want creamer use it. Skim your calories and fat and sugar off elsewhere in your diet. A cup of coffee with a serving of creamer isn't going to kill you nor make you fat if you adjust for it elsewhere.

This is what I started doing. I use full sugar/fat flavored creamers and it's all I need to use in my coffee. It's fewer calories, fat, and sugar than when I used regular half and half with granulated sugar. (At one point, I even added granulated sugar to the flavored creamer...I cut that out though and thank goodness. One time I forgot and made myself a cup with sugar and flavored creamer and had to dump it because it was soooo sweet; I couldn't drink it. I can't believe I used to put so much sugar in my coffee...goes to show you what changes you can't make without realizing it).

Yeah. If you like your coffee with creamer, use the real stuff. The calorie difference isn't much and it's real. Just count it. In my opinion fat is better than sugar overall, but in moderation, of course. If you must use sugar, use cane sugar in small amounts and avoid high fructose corn syrup and foods that contain it. There is a long, involved explanation that has nothing to do with nutrition to support that advice, but I can't put that here. Read, The Omnivore's Dilemma, if you haven't already.

That's what I was getting at. I don't use any altered version. I use the real deal.. I love my coffee, and I'll accept the calories ( 35 ), fat ( 2 ), & sugar ( 6 ). I just adjust for it elsewhere in my diet.