lose the wheat, lose the weight

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts about this, MFP community?

It would totally depend on how much wheat your currently eat, and what you replace it with. I lost the weight without giving up wheat, but I don't eat wheat every day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I eat an average of 35,000 calories per week from wheat. Will cutting it out help me lose weight?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    my thoughts are that it's nonsense
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Unless you're allergic....I'm against the elimination of entire food groups in the name of weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat an average of 35,000 calories per week from wheat. Will cutting it out help me lose weight?

It depends. Are you cutting out the calories, or replacing it withh 35,000 calories of something else? Are you losing, gaining or maintaining on your current intake?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm all for modifying my diet (within reason) temporarily and deciding if it works for my body. If you want to try to eliminate wheat and see how you feel, go for it. It most likely won't change much for you, but on the off chance it does, then at least you'll know.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known all of this when I lived in Italy. I could have saved all of those fit Italians from becoming fat by telling them to lay off the pasta.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Restricting food categories can help some people by limiting their choices. I would say it helps to think of your own personal triggers to overeating, and limit or eliminate those.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bull, if you ask me.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I can't eat it - I don't have celiac's, but I must be intolerant in some way. After being overweight my whole life, I cut out dairy and wheat and bam - lost 90+ lbs. Exercise stayed the same, as did everything else. I feel SO much better now - not lethargic, bloated, sick all the time. I guess it's all about what your body feels the best on? I think also - it's all about portion control!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm jaded due to my annoying sister in law - she had some illness sometime back (which everyone is like 99% sure had to do with her trying to complete her phd - its a long story - but its mental). part of her rigorous re-work was to quit all foods containing wheat. she doesn't have celiac disease, and the doctor had just recommend giving it up for a little while as she figures out what works, but she's just given it up like a religion and basically forces everyone to cater to her. I think its all BS - I'm sorry. a small percentage of folks are allergic (just like for MSG, or lactose, etc) and for everyone else tbe doctor's say ok.
  • soulundefined
    Options
    Amen... everyone's body responds to different tweeks differently. it doesn't hurt to try but if it doesn't work for you look for something else.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    perhaps wheat will go the way of tobacco?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm

what I find interesting is remembering one of my great grand parents and all my grand parents.
    They weren't fat and lived into their 90s & never went to a gym.
    They also used to eat a lot of fat (lard anyone!)...and they didn't have diabetes.

Meat and 2 veg was the order of the day, pasta & rice were seen as foreign food and shunned.

I wonder if the nay sayers have the bottle to drop grains from their diet for 6 weeks and can blog it.
    It would be interesting ;)

BTW - I didn't cut grains to lose weight, I cut them because they appeared to not offer any nutrition for the amount of kcals they deliver. And I wanted to experiment with something that when considering evolution, wasn't in our diet as a species for more than 10,000 years.

If you google nutrition on grains, you get the usual pro-grain blurb sponsored by the food industry.
    Then again, didn't they do the same with smoking in the 1960s as it was (and still is) a large multi-million dollar industry?
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307049,00.html

Maybe we don't get lung cancer from smoking?
    Maybe we don't get intestinal leakage and other allergies from wheat?

Your body can't do without fats and protein.
    It can do without carbs from wheat.

Comparing wheat to tobacco and providing a link to an interview of the wheat Belly author? lol

Did your grandparents and great grandparents eat bread or was that similarly shunned?

Wheat wasn't in our diet for more than 10,000 yrs?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed

My great grandparents were Italian and ate bread AND pasta with every meal.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm not jumping onto that bandwagon.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Not everyone who has lost weight succeeded because they stopped eating bread.

Everyone who lost weight succeeded because they ate fewer calories than they burned, and whatever method they used to keep themselves on track, it came down to calories in < calories out.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    my data came from a pro grain site

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/files/SlavinArticle0504.pdf

but then we can throw web links around all day

http://io9.com/5917339/why-eating-like-a-caveman-may-be-the-way-of-the-future

I remember us only having 3 meals a day with them, it was always cooked except after a Sunday roast, for tea on a Sunday the food was always cold cuts.

I never saw my grand parents ever eat a sandwich, something invented in the UK 250 years ago.

Test it yourself, try it for 6 weeks. I was surprised as for years I'd always advocated a complex carb low fat diet for sports.
    I've been active all my life and I've never felt so good.

Lol at the i09 link that then links to someone like Sisson, who is a dope and fear mongerer

Hmmm no one ate anything between bread before 250yrs ago? Might want to check on that
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    for me there is no choice! I'm actually allergic to wheat! ..found out after being sick for so long.. i lost 40lbs without cutting it out when i was allergic to it, and gained 25 back after cutting it out! it's complete crap! everyone's body is different!

My husband was exactly the same as you before being diagnosed with coeliacs desiese. He was constantly sick and losing weight. Once he had the diagnosis and cut out all gluten he slowly started to gain weight.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    perhaps wheat will go the way of tobacco?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm

what I find interesting is remembering one of my great grand parents and all my grand parents.
    They weren't fat and lived into their 90s & never went to a gym.
    They also used to eat a lot of fat (lard anyone!)...and they didn't have diabetes.

Meat and 2 veg was the order of the day, pasta & rice were seen as foreign food and shunned.

I wonder if the nay sayers have the bottle to drop grains from their diet for 6 weeks and can blog it.
    It would be interesting ;)

BTW - I didn't cut grains to lose weight, I cut them because they appeared to not offer any nutrition for the amount of kcals they deliver. And I wanted to experiment with something that when considering evolution, wasn't in our diet as a species for more than 10,000 years.

If you google nutrition on grains, you get the usual pro-grain blurb sponsored by the food industry.
    Then again, didn't they do the same with smoking in the 1960s as it was (and still is) a large multi-million dollar industry?
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307049,00.html

Maybe we don't get lung cancer from smoking?
    Maybe we don't get intestinal leakage and other allergies from wheat?

Your body can't do without fats and protein.
    It can do without carbs from wheat.

Your grandparents and great grandparents may very well have had diabetes by today's standards. The numbers for acceptable blood sugar have dropped several times just in my 31 years. Testing was done through urine in those days, and your blood sugar has to be pretty high to consistently be in your urine. It's not something you were tested for unless exhibiting symptoms, and many type 2 diabetics have the disease for years before showing symptoms, if they ever do at all.

The whole "your grandparents were thin because they ate lard instead of carbs" thing is very Northern-European centric. Pasta and rice were not "shunned foreign foods" for huge portions of the world's population. Then there are the many cultures sustaining on oats and corn. Many of us have thin grandparents who ate plenty of grains.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts about this, MFP community?

if one were to replace their lost calories from "wheat avoidance" with another equal carb source... their weight would never change.

for a mental flip to make you think:

if you're from a culture with a diet that is heavily dependent upon rice.. you would lose weight with the "rice diet" where you didnt eat rice?
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    "lose the wheat, lose the weight"

Another weightloss marketing gimmick.

Rice and sugar are not wheat and too much of that will make you gain weight. Not to mention the "gluten free" breads and pancakes that still contains too many carbs.

Still, gluten may cause discomfort in some people, even without celiac. I prefer to eat foods that are natrually gluten free (quinoa, rices, starchy veggies etc.), while watching the calories, and I dont go out of my way to spend extra money on "gluten free" bread/pasta.