Stupid Halloween Candy

Options
Since when did dead people and candy go together?! It's torture to walk around and see all the candy everywhere - and we still have 3 weeks until it gets handed out!

Tips and tricks for avoiding the madness? And yes, I already avoid walking down the aisles, buying it, etc - but it's bloody everywhere! (And in some places, it's been merged with "Christmas candy" for a bonus! eek!)

Replies

• AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I just try to avoid it... but, it gets hard. I don't have any good advice. I wished I did.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I bought candy that I didn't particularly like.
  • momo0884
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I have to walk past a row of cubicles and I know which ones have candy in them sitting on the desk...however there is one in particular where she placed the candy OUT of the cubicle and of course it has to be one of my favourite candies!

I suggest carrying a healthier snack with you if you are at work. I normally will see the candy and talk myself into getting a banana or something. If you are out and about, just keep doing what you are doing and avoid those aisles. Remind yourself that you really don't need it and it's only going to temporarily please you if you give in. If you do give in, only have a little bit. Just because there is a bag of candy doesn't mean you have to have more than one piece.

Good luck and may the "candy season" be over soon!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Ah man this year is going to be rough! I have 6 kids that bring in a boat load of chocolate. We will see how well I hold up :(
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Since when did dead people and candy go together?! It's torture to walk around and see all the candy everywhere - and we still have 3 weeks until it gets handed out!

Tips and tricks for avoiding the madness? And yes, I already avoid walking down the aisles, buying it, etc - but it's bloody everywhere! (And in some places, it's been merged with "Christmas candy" for a bonus! eek!)

Please stop disparaging awesome Halloween candy due to your own lack of will power
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about this either. I have only been shopping after eating but then I forget what I need because I am not hungry and not thinking about food. I have been wondering how much candy to buy and not have left overs. Or should I buy cheap toys to pass out?:huh:
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When you see the candy and it's calling your name, just tell yourself, "Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels". I heard that quote somewhere and I use it as my mantra anytime I'm tempted by fattening or unhealthy foods.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Please stop disparaging awesome Halloween candy due to your own lack of will power

:heart:

OP: If you eat enough calories to allow yourself an indulgence once in awhile, that candy might not be screaming your name so loudly. I'm having chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream tonight after dinner. I could care less about candy!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    willpower
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Eat the candy!!

A piece a day (typically at 70-100 calories a piece) isn't gonna kill ya so long as you account for it.

Halloween Candy = Awesomeness

Can't wait to raid my kids' trick or treat bags, lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If you concentrate all your willpower on NOT EATING CANDY you wont have any willpower left to get you to your workouts and do awesome stuff.

last year I just said in my head- 'eh - im not going to eat any at all this year, im a sucker for cadbury anyway and they dont even have those all in my face right now- itll be a cool thing to be proud of - nope not one single piece and Im not that fussed about it :) Ask me if I have eaten any... just ask me, no really"

Then I can use all the willpower im not using to fight eating candy- towards getting me brave enough and disciplined enough to do other BETTER stuff. This fall/winter Im getting ready for a Grand Canyon hike... so in the grand scheme of things, what on earth does some cheap colored sugar have to do with my epic adventures? Nothing? then who cares - give it away :)

If I want candy, I'll get myself a piece of good stuff, when I want it - not just cause 'tis the season to be gluttonous.

Use your willpower on achieving something, not on avoiding something.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Eat the candy!!

A piece a day (typically at 70-100 calories a piece) isn't gonna kill ya so long as you account for it.

careful though, sometimes having a little sugar can make some people crave sugar for the whole rest of the day LOL careful who you give that advice too!

:drinker:
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I bought candy that I didn't particularly like.

Wow that is smart.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Halloween candy jumps in my shopping cart, hops up on the cash register, makes me drive it home, barricades itself and takes hostages in my cabinet, and forces me to eat it in amounts that exceed my calorie goal.

Easter candy is worse, much worse.
  • BH_Holl
    BH_Holl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eat the candy!!

^^^^ This!!!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel your pain!!! Sheesh, seems like the Halloween candy shows up in stores in like... August.

When I buy for the trick-or-treaters, I make sure to buy stuff that I don't like. Then I'm not tempted to eat it. This has worked well the last couple of years.
    As far as dealing with the truck loads of candy that show up at work, the gym, friends' houses, wherever... I just try to have a filling meal before I go places and then I'm not as tempted. It's worked pretty well.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Same way of how you turn down the cake after a meal, and the cookies being passed around at work...along with everyday "dodging" of unhealthy foods.

Remember why you are doing this
    Imagine yourself at the weight you ideally want to be
    imagine living a longer live
    Buy yourself a new outfit in 2 sizes smaller than what you are.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep...just eat some. You'd be surprised how many candies aren't THAT bad. I think reeses mini pb cups are around 40 calories. Hershey's kisses are near 20 calories. Just eat it in moderation.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    When you see the candy and it's calling your name, just tell yourself, "Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels". I heard that quote somewhere and I use it as my mantra anytime I'm tempted by fattening or unhealthy foods.
    Lots of things taste better than skinny feels.

Halloween candy being an example.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    aaaaaaand queue the Thanksgiving and Christmas panic threads in 3.....2......1.....