Recomposition question: How to rid belly fat?

Options
Has anyone ever went from a big apple shape to flat stomach? What did it take? Long term Ketosis? Intermittent Fasting? Extensive Cardio and eating calories back? Heavy lifting? 30 Day Shred? Couch to 5k? Diet supplements? What is the best way to get rid of belly fat? Can it be done on diet alone? Can it be done on calorie deficiency alone? What should the macros be? What should fill the macros? What foods are really bad?

Let's make this an expert thread and get all the information out there for other people struggling with the same problem after getting to (or close to) their goal weight through diet.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + time + patience is all that is needed.
  • bigblu89
    bigblu89 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Have gone from 273 to 192, and the only spot that's not passing the "mirror test" is my mid-section.

My goal is to get in the 175-180 range, and I'm hoping that last 12-15 pounds will be what's left of the "fast food gut" I've been carrying around since my teens.

Believe me, just keep on it, and it'll continue to shrink. And if you're trying to tone up, it'll eventually start to show once you burn the fat off.

Just give it time, and keep on track.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options

I'd add strength training to that list - it all sounds very simple and easy but we all know that's not the case, so patience is the biggest enemy. Bear with it and it'll happen, no-one put on weight overnight and it won't disappear overnight.

Stick with it and good luck EccentricDad
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting + calorie deficit
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I'd add strength training to that list - it all sounds very simple and easy but we all know that's not the case, so patience is the biggest enemy. Bear with it and it'll happen, no-one put on weight overnight and it won't disappear overnight.

Well, he asked how to get a flat belly. Strength training is definitely not needed. There are plenty of people out there with flat stomachs who have never even seen a gym.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Exactly this. Your body prefers to store fat on your core rather than your limbs.... and when you are dieting, your body prefers to take fat off in the reverse order it put it on.

Abs are made in the kitchen. Strength training helps with muscle tone. For core work, it can actually cause you to lose inches (at first) if you go from no core work to doing something as the muscles tighten.

If you want some very in depth info, check out Lyle McDonald's website, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

BTW, great job and congrats on your success so far!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Heavy compounds, carb cycling.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Strength excercises are key. Also, a common mistake you want to avoid: don't do just abs, do the whole core. Not only do you end up with evenly developed muscles all over, you'll make it easier on your back and improve your posture:-)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    IF you're at your goal weight then I'd incorporate weights to build muscle and strengthen your core. You'll also want a slight calorie deficit and reduce your consumption of carbonated beverages, artificial sweeteners, and any foods that cause you to bloat. Cut back on sodium, drink more water, make sure your posture is great as well. It's the little things that make the biggest differences ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

Lifting recommended if you like something reasonably aesthetic.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Strength excercises are key. Also, a common mistake you want to avoid: don't do just abs, do the whole core. Not only do you end up with evenly developed muscles all over, you'll make it easier on your back and improve your posture:-)

Totally agree with this. I notice some areas of my tummy are tight and others are not as much - like on my back on the sides (love handle areas). I also notice my posture is better than it was.

Also have found that it happens really gradually because of what another poster wrote about it being where the fat is stored.
    I think strength training plus cardio is the way to go.

And also you can engage the core just walking down the street - sometimes I take my iphone timer and count 60 seconds where I tense various muscles in my stomach... kind of obsessive, sure but I have the same thing as a lot of others here with that area.

The other thing I really like is holding plank position - you really feel that and a few sets of those can work that area nicely.
  • Jay_3
    Jay_3 Posts: 9
    Options

Well, he asked how to get a flat belly. [Bold]Strength training is definitely not needed.[/Bold] There are plenty of people out there with flat stomachs who have never even seen a gym.

Yes some people naturally have flat stomachs but to say strength training is DEFINITELY not needed is complete rubbish you need to do some more research before you give bad advice
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Done it. Lost it. Done it. Lost it. Calorie deficit + lifting is all that is needed.

Now playing the mental game of long-term habit changing to keep it off for good - THAT'S what I'd really like to meet an expert on.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Done it. Lost it. Done it. Lost it. Calorie deficit + lifting is all that is needed.

Now playing the mental game of long-term habit changing to keep it off for good - THAT'S what I'd really like to meet an expert on.

BUMP
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    eliminate processed foods, everything white, and refined sugars from your diet add in more lean proteins and fibrous carbs which are you green vegetables while continuing doing whatever you are doing as far as cardio and strength training and you will notice your belly fat will begin to disappear.

also remember it didnt take you a week month or year to get that gut so dont expect it to come on rapidly. just keep using the above methods and you will see you results
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + lifting (+ a bit of light to moderate cardio for the additional health benefits, if possible)

Try to eat mostly minimally processed foods or foods with short ingredients lists, these tend to have less sugar/fat/sodium, hopefully more fiber and protein to help keep you full, and load up on the veggies so you'll feel good enough to keep up with it all. You don't have to be perfect 100% of the time, but think about your food choices in advance and try to set yourself up for success by planning.

Then patience and adherence.

Best of luck.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    eliminate processed foods, everything white, and refined sugars from your diet add in more lean proteins and fibrous carbs which are you green vegetables while continuing doing whatever you are doing as far as cardio and strength training and you will notice your belly fat will begin to disappear.

also remember it didnt take you a week month or year to get that gut so dont expect it to come on rapidly. just keep using the above methods and you will see you results

Eliminating processed foods and refined sugars is not necessary. There are plenty of people, myself included that eat ice cream, candy bars, cake, etc. on a daily basis and have great success cutting and maintaining.
  • amann1976
    Options

Eliminating processed foods and refined sugars is not necessary. There are plenty of people, myself included that eat ice cream, candy bars, cake, etc. on a daily basis and have great success cutting and maintaining.

it is ok to have "cheat" items every so often but those things can't be a staple of your diet... if they could be a staple of the op's diet then they wouldnt be here making this thread about the problem they are having.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

it is ok to have "cheat" items every so often but those things can't be a staple of your diet... if they could be a staple of the op's diet then they wouldnt be here making this thread about the problem they are having.

WHAT?!?!?!?! Did the OP even say that he's eating "cheat" items often? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Just because someone does does not mean that the "cheat items" are causing the belly fat. Maybe it's too many calories in general. Maybe it's a lack of abdominal muscles altogether resulting in a floppy looking stomach.
  • amann1976
    Options

WHAT?!?!?!?! Did the OP even say that he's eating "cheat" items often? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Just because someone does does not mean that the "cheat items" are causing the belly fat. Maybe it's too many calories in general. Maybe it's a lack of abdominal muscles altogether resulting in a floppy looking stomach.

the op didnt say much about himself he opened the topic up to a discussion based on the ideas he listed in his post.