Can diet soda count as water???

Options

Replies

• Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count anything with caffeine in them as liquid. Diet caffeine free soda or decaffinated coffee or tea would be counted. I wouldn't count any more than half though. Weight Watchers use to say that. . The best would be good old fashion plain water.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can't break a bone for trying, and that's with chuggin' lots of carbonation for years and being on Depo, which is also supposed to decrease bone density.

Belly fat's nearly gone, too.

I guess I'm just a freak of nature. Or possibly a zombie that missed the memo and feasts on aspartame instead of brains.

*Aspartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmeeee!!!!!!*
  • sswift76
    sswift76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Did you really just ask that?

JK

Rude :frown:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=591586

Bit long winded, but answers your question :flowerforyou:
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ok, so if you take a diet soda and separate out the pure water and drink it, and later you eat the dry solids left behind, do the dry solids left behind cancel out the pure water you drank?

Of course not. You might disagree about whether diet soda is good for you and that's fine, but to say it does
    not count as water is like saying eggs don't count as protein because the cholesterol is bad for you.

For the record I cannot pronounce the natural organic compounds in healthy fruits and vegetables, either, and that doesn't make them bad.
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    (Shaking my head)...

Ok, so if you take a diet soda and separate out the pure water and drink it, and later you eat the dry solids left behind, do the dry solids left behind cancel out the pure water you drank?

Of course not. You might disagree about whether diet soda is good for you and that's fine, but to say it does
    not count as water is like saying eggs don't count as protein because the cholesterol is bad for you.

For the record I cannot pronounce the natural organic compounds in healthy fruits and vegetables, either, and that doesn't make them bad.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Really? Your logic is skewed. It's because all the chemicals DO in fact cancel out the water. It is the same logic as intaking too much sodium and not enough water. And the eggs comment is just barking. The benefits outweigh the negatives of many foods. There are no benefits to soda...
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    seriously? No!
    For all the reasons that others have posted, plus the acid rots your teeth.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    Add the soda as a drink under the snacks column as a way of keeping track of what you are consuming but you should not be counting soda as water because of the diuretic effect from the caffiene (sorry about the spelling but its late here lol!) The reason MFP (and nature to be honest) reccommends water is to help flush your body of toxins, hydrate you and keep your body fluids stable after exercise. The brain is 80% water - soda will not help it unfortunately. Get chugging water with fresh mint or fresh lemon - extra yummy and nothing artificial at all! You will soon grow used to the taste.
  • smsgrl2009
    Options
    I don't know if it counts truly as water or not. I try to drink as much water as possible but I do not like to drink water period. It leaves a metallic taste in my mouth that triggers my gag reflex. I force myself to drink at least 24-34 oz a day and the rest of my liquid is typically diet pepsi...i was trying to replace diet pepsi with crystal light but it has the acid, aspartame and other chemicals that are no good as well so I just stick to what I like. The way I am looking at it, I used to drink 5-6 cans of regular soda a day. I didn't think I could ever like diet soda. I now cannot stand regular soda. And while I have cut back to 2 cans a day of the diet, I am not stressing. One step at a time..let me focus on other areas to improve. when those are habit, I will revisit this soda thing. I know my limits and my lack of self discipline.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Uhm NO. And it causes cancer. Just saying.......

^this
    Study??
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    The only thing I count as water is water and water mixed with a crystal light packet.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

So does breathing air and living on planet earth. We're doomed.
  • vincent1959
    Options
    While I do not count tea as water, I do get a lot of medicinal herbs from a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) with who I have a subscription. Herbs like lemongrass, holy basil, nettle etc. Drinking these with maybe one teaspoon of honey is certainly not a toxin.
    Still I don't count them as water but it certainly is a legitimate question.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Water is water.
    Soda is soda.
    Diet Soda is Diet Soda.
    Koolaid is Koolaid.
    Crystal Light is Crystal Light.
    Milk is Milk.
    Orange Juice is Orange Juice.

And so on and so on.

I don't count anything as "water" unless it's straight water.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    no try Crystal Light To-go Fruit Punch it's really good!

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • pegloor
    pegloor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Uhm NO.

It doesn't.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    A) If you drank a glass of water while eating a cookie, would you count the water?
    B) If you blended the cookie in the water, and drank the concoction, would you still count the water?

If yes to A and no to B, what's the difference? (Hint: there is none.)

Putting aside the "OMG CANCER" fear mongering, how is diet soda different from B? (Hint: it isn't.)

I say count it.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I think if you stick something IN your water (like a lemon or orange slice), then you can count it as water AND a slice of lemon or orange. Otherwise, I wouldn't count it toward my total.