What's the big deal about nuts especially over bread?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    now I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

omg yes.

Yes, but no banana on it! Just eww! And grape jelly please! :drinker:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thinking nuts are too high in fats is not the same as shunning fats, or thinking fats are evil. I'm not anti-fat at all, but I don't want to use 13 grams of my allotment on an ounce of almonds. Not worth it. Also, they are so easy to overeat. I could eat 3 ounces for a snack.

Carbs keep me so much fuller and happier than fats, too. I'm so hungry on a high-fat diet. So pass on the nuts, but please hand over the bread.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Unsaturated fats in nuts are needed to keep your body from producing hormones that make you feel hungry.

I have no issues with bread.

I routinely eat a half a peanut butter sandwich as a quick snack!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    now I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

omg yes.

Me three!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you put everything you ate in a day on one plate. Let's say that the plate content was mainly leafy vegetables and cooked vegetables 70%. 10% were from lean proteins, 7% fruits, 10% healthy grains (ex; brown rice) and 3% good fats (ex; olive oil or nuts) then you would find ironically that 70-80% of your calories for the day would be from fat.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you put everything you ate in a day on one plate. Let's say that the plate content was mainly leafy vegetables and cooked vegetables 70%. 10% were from lean proteins, 7% fruits, 10% healthy grains (ex; brown rice) and 3% good fats (ex; olive oil or nuts) then you would find ironically that 70-80% of your calories for the day would be from fat.

que?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I just had a crazy off the wall idea. What if someone - a wizard perhaps - crushed nuts into a paste-like consistency, almost like, I don't know, maybe "butter". And then if that selfsame wizard were to spread said "butter of nuts" onto a piece of bread. That would be a combination of both of these things that you are comparing and then you could have both.

I know, crazy. Well, you may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one.

:flowerforyou:
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Why is this thread not full of people proclaiming: "I LOVE NUTS. IN MY MOUTH."
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i love nuts :D lol.
    i really do like the different textures and flavors of all kinds of nuts. (get ur mind outta the gutter!)
    i keep trail mix on hand to just sprinkle over salads.
    i try not to buy them too much cause once i start, i cant stop!
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nuts are awesome!! I eat almonds almost everyday. And roasted soy nuts! Yuuuummm!! Nuts have them there healthy fats. The fats that go to that there brain.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Allergies to one or the other. The hidden sodium in the breads/baked good cause ME (only speaking for myself) to retain water. Basically if you have been diagnosed with Diabetes I & or II, HBP, Food/Nut/Grain allergies etc. it's meant for them. Everyone doesn't have issues with food it's a big deal for the ones that do. The ones that don't carry on & enjoy. Happy eating!:drinker:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I do not understand why nuts are such a big deal and suppose to be healthy.:huh:
    I think they provide too much fat and calories to be worth the protein and other stuff.
    I have seen food journals where they eat almond butter plain and complain they are hungry.
    Bread has the same calories and protein with fiber and is far more filling what is so wrong with bread?
    I understand if you can not have gluten but nowadays there are a lot of gluten free bread that is good.
    I do not buy into the low carb thing either. It is low calories with protein and fiber and fluids.
    Most people who have sworn by low carbs have actually cut calories which amounts to weight loss.
    Also too much protein with not enough fiber and fluids will make you constipated.
    Fat and calories are not inherently unhealthy. I don't eat nuts for their protein content (there are much better sources imo) but for their fat and micronutrient content, to add calories when I'm way under my goal, and because I like them.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have almonds or a trail mix before my workout. The nuts or mix of nuts & dried fruits keeps me from feeling hungry and gives a little energy to make it through.

I try to choose foods that are healthy and sometimes that means they have more calories but I am getting more out of them nutrition wise than say a bag of chips.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of hate for bags of chips in this thread and frankly, it's making me a little uncomfortable. I may have to start reporting people.

Consider yourselves warned.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I have never had gluten free bread that did not taste like *kitten*. Eat what you want. If it fits with your desired diet, go for it.

Udis millet chia.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just had a crazy off the wall idea. What if someone - a wizard perhaps - crushed nuts into a paste-like consistency, almost like, I don't know, maybe "butter". And then if that selfsame wizard were to spread said "butter of nuts" onto a piece of bread. That would be a combination of both of these things that you are comparing and then you could have both.

I know, crazy. Well, you may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one.

Dude you are blowing my mind with these radical ideas!!

Nuts... tee hee... :laugh: :blushing:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Why does every food around here get categorized ONLY into fat, protein and carbs? Are almonds high in fat? Sure. They are also full of things your body needs, you know, to build your brain and nervous system.

Spend 5 minutes Googling your favorite nuts, you might find out why you like them.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ugggh and whats the deal with eggs, and meat and fruit and.......

It sounds like you are just being way too judgmental about what other people eat, and for somebody to have a CLOSED diary and be creeping other people's diaries and complaining about their nutritional choices... :huh: Maybe you could use some of that extra time on your hands to educate yourself about the nutritional benefits of healthy fats and a diet that includes natural foods like nuts, seeds and whole grains and limits processed carbohydrates such as "whole wheat" breads.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I think your math is a little off.... by about 110%...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My lunch today was a peanut butter & banana sandwich... so I think I covered nuts, carbs, protein, fat, fruit, etc. I'd add lettuce for a veggie but it doesn't really go with the overall flavor. :tongue:

My grandma used to eat a peanut butter and lettuce sandwich for lunch ever day. =)