Knee pain from 30 Day Shred

Options
2»

Replies

• sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had to quit doing the 30 Day Shred due to knee problems. I was recovering from a knee injury when I started (not a great idea!) and ended up re-injuring my knee and had to completely quit all high impact activities and take a break from my ballet training for several weeks to recover. During that time I concentrated on low impact things like walking, Pilates, strength training and lots of stretching.

30DS is a great workout but it is not a magic pill. There are lots of great workouts out there that really challenge you *without* putting so much stress on your knees. Check out some of the online sites where you can preview workout videos for free or if you have cable use the on-demand feature to find something you like.

If you really want to stick to the Shred then substitute the low impact moves they do for anything that is bothering you. For example in Level 2 you do a "high kick" as part of the cardio section. This move really got my heart rate up and was no impact so I did that any time something was bothering my knees. If any of the strength training moves are bothering you just substitute push-ups. :-)

But DON'T do stuff that is injuring you! 30DS has a cult-like following on this site and it is a good workout but there is lots of other stuff out there.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Check your form, your footware and the surface you are doing your workout on.

I developed an SI joint problem while doing Ripped in 30. I went to physio and it's on the mend.

I was wearing the shoes I run in to do the workouts so I was not getting the proper support for the kind of workout I was doing.

I just bought a pair of cross trainers and what a difference it makes especially doing the plyo moves.

Also since I workout in the basement on the concrete floor I have a 1/2" mat with my yoga mat on top for some extra cushioning.

Best of luck.

Karen
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. The tendons and ligaments along the outer sides of my knees is where it feels tight and a little painful in certain positions. I hadn't thought about it being due to the side lunges, because I don't find those painful at all, but I guess that could be the move where an over-extention is occurring. I've stopped doing the jumping jacks, because that's where my knees hurt.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I shattered my left patella about 6 years ago. That knee screams during all of Jillian Michael's workouts. I try to make sure I am hydrated really well on days I do her routines. I also slightly modify the exercises to reduce stress on my knee joint. Finally, I only do her routines twice a week. The other days I usually do BeFit in 90 on YouTube and occasionally a Denise Austin routine. I find that they are less stressful on my knee.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    There is "sore" pain and acute pain. If you feeling it in the knees and on the ligaments and tendons, then it's acute. More than likely your form is wrong, which is part of the reason why I'm not fond of home DVD's. It's one thing to watch the movements and another to actually do them correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

One thing I really like about 30DS is that Jillian is constantly talking about correct form to avoid injuries. I've mostly had soreness in my quads...I sometimes have knee problems, but I haven't had any from this yet, but I try to be very concious of my movements. I do, however, want to reach through the screen and strangle her every time I hear her spout off about having 400lb people who do jumping jacks. :grumble:
    I can tell someone to correct their form and they can still do it wrong. Many times I have to lay my hands on them and guide the movement. Little things like knee traveling "inward" when people come out of a squat or jump (and many very overweight people knees do buckle inward just even standing) indicate excessive stress on the tendons and ligaments. There is no substitute to having it personally instructed compared to watching it being done and attempting it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is "sore" pain and acute pain. If you feeling it in the knees and on the ligaments and tendons, then it's acute. More than likely your form is wrong, which is part of the reason why I'm not fond of home DVD's. It's one thing to watch the movements and another to actually do them correctly.

IDEA Fitness member

One thing I really like about 30DS is that Jillian is constantly talking about correct form to avoid injuries. I've mostly had soreness in my quads...I sometimes have knee problems, but I haven't had any from this yet, but I try to be very concious of my movements. I do, however, want to reach through the screen and strangle her every time I hear her spout off about having 400lb people who do jumping jacks. :grumble:
    I can tell someone to correct their form and they can still do it wrong. Many times I have to lay my hands on them and guide the movement. Little things like knee traveling "inward" when people come out of a squat or jump (and many very overweight people knees do buckle inward just even standing) indicate excessive stress on the tendons and ligaments. There is no substitute to having it personally instructed compared to watching it being done and attempting it.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all. My point is that she reiterates how important form is, and it makes me very aware of it. But you're absolutely correct...nothing is as good as having someone who knows what they're doing watching your form and correcting it when necessary! Now get your butt over to my house and train me! lol
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem and my knees ended up hurting for months and months afterwards. I swear I still have lingering knee issues. I am WAY to scared to ever touch that video again!
  • lizz11
    lizz11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I realize this is a few months old, but I need a place to vent this same problem.

I was looking forward to this after all the positive results I've seen on MFP and started last Tuesday. I was pushing through the knee pain and managed to do 3 days of 30DS plus my normal workouts. I hate having to give up this early into a goal, but I'm starting to get concerned that the pain hasn't gotten any better in the last week.

I don't have a history of knee issues so I'm hoping that this will all go away if I take a break. I have an active trip to New Zealand planned in a month and can't risk being injured. I'm just really disappointed - I was so looking forward to something new after a few months of weight loss plateau.