New runner question?

Options
2»

Replies

• loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting to run! Its the best workout and if you hit the road, its FREE! No gym required.

FYI

5k = 3.1 miles
    10k = 6.2 miles
    1/2 marathon = 13.1 miles
    Marathon = 26.2 miles

I am just about at the 1/2 marathon mark. I've been running for years. Although I recently actually called myself a runner. To me, it takes alot of endurance and training to really run miles and miles nonstop and with speed. Running on a treadmill in comparison to outside on the road makes a huge difference.Running on a treadmill for 10 minutes at 6mph in AC compared to outside in the heat/humidity/cold 8-10mph...huge difference.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you are a runner!!

keep up the great work, you will only get faster :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    And we do not have a secret handshake....willing to share it with anyone....no touching aloud...you just put one foot in front of the other over and over again!

Yeah, the secret handshake is a fist bump because there is no way I'm touching palm to palm with another runner at the finish line. I know what happens to those hands during a race. :noway: :laugh:
  • hummus40
    Options
    To know you are one with what you are doing, to know that you are a complete athlete, begins with believing you are a runner. -- George Sheehan

you ARE a runner
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to run in my life. Body just wouldn't cooperate. I am not to the point that I can (and do) run. Today was my 6th run and I do 3k (3.2 miles) each time. I may not be fast. Started at 16 minute mile and am already at a 13.3 mile.

But my question to all of you runners... When do you consider yourself a runner? I feel like I am a tryer and feel a bit strange claiming I am a runner at this time.

But have bought the shoes and get up regularly at 4:50 and do my run. So I suppose I just might be.

I'd say with some conviction you are a runner NOW. your pace will improve as you work on distance..dont worry about your pace. just getting out there and running 3k is a heck of a lot MORE than the general population would ever dream of doing.

you have built a very robust platform to build from as a runner..I really hope you persevere and take it form me..you will be amazed at what your body is capable of doing.

Good luck, fellow RUNNER!!
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." John Bingham

This is absolutely right. You're a runner because you run!

Karrie
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You run = your a runner :D

Great work, keep it up!!
    I never used to be able to run and now i love running and run around 7 - 8kms daily :)
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If the cops are chasing you, I would consider that a runner.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You have only run 6 times and you already run 3.2 miles a run? Holy crap! I had to run for 3 months before I got to that point.
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes...

Even on ur slower days, you are lapping everyoen on the couch.

Keep at it, ur pace will get better with time. That's impressive. And you are a runner. I'm proud to call myself a runner.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to run in my life. Body just wouldn't cooperate. I am not to the point that I can (and do) run. Today was my 6th run and I do 3k (3.2 miles) each time. I may not be fast. Started at 16 minute mile and am already at a 13.3 mile.

Wait. You have only tried running 6 times and you are already running 3k or 3.2 miles (not sure which)?? Either one is impressive. Did I read that right?? As I just finished my 5th week in c25k (thats 15 times running) and just today, I did a 20 minute run (which was only about a 1.75 mile). And I am impressed I could actually do it. So if you're doing that so quickly.. you are definitely a runner!!