Do you ever cook your national dish?

Options

Replies

• 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I came to see what "national dish" meant lol

But yes, mostly I cook curries and such. It doesn't have to be unhealthy :)
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of bubble and squeak, if that's good enough...lol
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lebanon has a bunch of national dishes, but my husband and I cook Lebanese food all the time. Shawarma, fattoush salad, homemade hummus or falafel, taouk (grilled chicken breast chunks), and the many many vegetable/beef stews.

That is what we eat regularly! It's healthy, although a bit high in carbs because nearly every meal has rice or bread as a component, but I do my best to focus on the protein and veggies!

We also regularly eat Lebanese style breakfasts, including labne (a form of yogurt) and zaatar (thyme).

Last night, we had what's called "beefteak" or beef steak, which is a very thinly sliced style of steak, marinated in garlic and lemon and cooked until it is soft. The carb with that is a Lebanese style mashed potato, which is made of boiled potatoes that we mash and add extra virgin olive oil and salt too (no butter or fatty products). Delicious!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Scottish, and never once had haggis.

Also, don't even have a deep fryer.

As the Doctor once said, "What kind of Scot are you?!"

Ha!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Actually I don't. I'm from six ethnicities so that is very difficult. Plus the names of the food in those cultures sound unappetizing to me.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    YEAH... Thats why im here.. DUhhhhhh.. LOL :laugh:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm black. So I guess I am supposed to make soul food. Can't stand most of it!!!!!!!!! greens, neckbones, black eyed peas. gross!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Cook? In the kitchen? What business do I have in there?

That's what she said...

I'm only joking. Truth is I love cooking/grilling/frying anything related to food. My gf gets mad when I help her make dinner because I end up taking over the cooking station.

But yea, I'm pretty talented with my hands and utensils. Make anything that touches the tongue taste amazing.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I declare Chips & Queso my national dish, and I make it all the time!
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    Northern English. Not sure about a national dish but I drink a lot :drinker:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm from England.

Don't really cook much of my own country's national dishes. I prefer Italian stuff or Indian.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So... poutine?

Nah, man, no one has time for that.

What?! I make poutine! It isn't exactly diet friendly though (eh!)
  • jdennisj
    Options
    Bump
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Lebanon has a bunch of national dishes, but my husband and I cook Lebanese food all the time. Shawarma, fattoush salad, homemade hummus or falafel, taouk (grilled chicken breast chunks), and the many many vegetable/beef stews.

That is what we eat regularly! It's healthy, although a bit high in carbs because nearly every meal has rice or bread as a component, but I do my best to focus on the protein and veggies!

We also regularly eat Lebanese style breakfasts, including labne (a form of yogurt) and zaatar (thyme).

Last night, we had what's called "beefteak" or beef steak, which is a very thinly sliced style of steak, marinated in garlic and lemon and cooked until it is soft. The carb with that is a Lebanese style mashed potato, which is made of boiled potatoes that we mash and add extra virgin olive oil and salt too (no butter or fatty products). Delicious!

I want to eat dinner with you guys!
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    But yea, I'm pretty talented with my hands and utensils. Make anything that touches the tongue taste amazing.

That's what she said.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Have had haggis its not so good, Vegetarian haggis believe it or nice is actually nice.

I also dont have a deep fat fryer lol
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am French on my fathers side and Italian on my mothers side. I like Italian cooking better because I can buy gluten free pasta but French uses heavy creams and stuff.. but sometimes I make French Fries :wink: and often I eat my soup cold :laugh:

I like Mexican food best and Japanese foods and I make Thai food sometimes too..anything I can find that is gluten & dairy free and yummy then I make it and eat it.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

As the Doctor once said, "What kind of Scot are you?!"

Ha!
    All this not blinking business is really hurting my eyes :-(
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I EAT pho all the time... In order to make it properly takes way too much time so when I want it I just go to a restaurant.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm cajun.. where do I start?