Do you ever cook your national dish?

Options

Replies

• Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    From Costa RIca so i cook "gallo pinto" for breakfast every single day!

Hahah, I loved gallo pinto when I was there, and I make it often... have to make it without salsa lizano though.... can't find it here!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Im Dominican. I cook all sorts of Dominican dishes. I also cook, Korean, Chinese, Italian, and Indian foods. I love to cook
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmm; for Americans, would that be hamburgers, hot dogs, and potato salad? Yup, most certainly have. Baked beans, too.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia helped answer my question about Canada's...
    National food

Common contenders as the Canadian national food include:
    Butter tarts[9][10]
    Kraft Dinner[11]
    Poutine[12][13][14][15]

According to an informal survey by the Globe and Mail conducted through Facebook from collected comment, users considered the following to be the Canadian National dish, with Maple syrup likely above all the other foods if it was considered:[15]
    51% Poutine
    14% Montreal-style bagels
    11% Salmon Jerky (dried smoked salmon)
    10% Pierogi
    7% Ketchup chips
    4% Nova Scotian Donair
    1% California roll

Kraft Dinner.. really?! But Poutine.. mmmmm :D
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Nope, poutine is too unhealthy! :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i wasnt sure what our national dish is.. so i googled...
    "Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, England

Despite England’s increasingly cosmopolitan cuisine, this dish remains a much-loved Sunday lunch and national symbol. Named for England’s eponymous county, Yorkshire—or batter—puddings originally served as fillers before the main course for those who could afford little beef. Today, the two are usually eaten together alongside gravy-soaked roast potatoes, vegetables, and horseradish sauce. "

then... ish... i mean i have yorkshire puddings sometimes... i have roasts for Sunday lunch.. only of the chicken variety though so i guess i kinda do..

I do drink a lot of tea though and im sure thats got to count :D!
    x
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Oh, and being born in Alabama - grits! Plenty of grits. I don't like the white kind anymore, though; I like whole corn grits, which is closely associated with polenta, which I think is Italian.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CANADIAN!!!! MOLSONS CANADIAN.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm British.

I do enjoy making Toad-In-The-Hole, though.

c'mon.........am i the ONLY one dying to make a comment on this dish..?!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I thought the national dish of us Americans was something you just get from the drive-thru??

I'm of French, German and Polish descent, but I don't really consider them my nation, so I guess the answer is no.

Forgot to add I love me some Southern food, American.

There are some great foods I have eaten since I went to the south, see I grew up eating alot of home cooked spanish food, And I met my husband and was introduced to so many good dishes. Making chicken and dumplings right now. Dont know if thats American
  • Pooj_K
    Pooj_K Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    'm Indian . Cook Indian food all the time. :)
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm African...but I'm in school so I don't cook it. When I go to my moms house though I stuff my face lol

Our staple food is rice..so yeah LOTS of carbs. Did I mention Africans know nothing about portion control? You guys should see how much I thought a serving was smh
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I make 'CAWL' with winter vegetables, traditionally made with lamb but I'm a vegi!!!

Also make scrummy Welsh Cakes and Bara Brith....... you'll find many variations online but every family usually has their own twist on the recipies.
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    I dont think America Has a National Dish!

Burger and fries?
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Irish-Corned Beef (no cabbage, bf doesn't like it) sometimes
    German-brats and beer...more often than Corned beef
    American-Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and waffles are my guilty pleasures and ones I indulge in when I'm running alot :-)

Middle of nowhere America-Venison and Elk. Nom nom nom only when I'm at my parents :(
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    LOL I don't even know what my national dish is!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm Mauritian so we cook our national dishes all the time. But we rarely make the desserts nowadays
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm Greek and I constantly make souvlaki, homemade tzatziki, and yero. There are tons of other dishes but these are my faves :D
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fast Food has to be the American dish by now.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    So we cook our state dish about once a month = pie floaters.
    Nd we do tuna morny quite often now, though i don't think hats a national dish.
    Its way to old for a Barbie.

In honor of our new home we do njoy a good roast in winter.

Ed, veggie haggis is the only good thing about british winter.:drinker: