Anybody who has gone off sugar completely ???

Options

Replies

• punkybrewster88
    punkybrewster88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Found this whole thread interesting which sent me searching for info on honey vs sugar (from sugar cane/beets). Came across this article from University of Arizona about digestion of honey and sugar. Honey has enzymes that aid in its digestion in the stomach, breaking down into fructose and glucose. Table sugar, sucrose, contains no enzymes so it can't be broken down until it reaches the liver. Just info I thought I would pass on to whomever is interested.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/health/az1577.pdf
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And honey IS a sugar. That said, honey also has vitamins, etc., that processed sugar or "high fructose corn syrup" doesn't have. So if you like it, use it for the added nutrients, but keep on counting the calories. :flowerforyou:
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    hmmmm:ohwell:
    Well I've got me a squirty bottle of honey :bigsmile:
    So I'm gonna experiment . . .
    and keep u guys posted . . .
    See right now Im on a sorta plateau so if substituting sugar with honey cud help I'm game . . .
    :drinker:
    also any tips on going sugar free

If you are at a plateau - why not look at how many calories in total you are consuming and not try to pin it on one specific food?

bcos im doin about 1000 cals/day so i cant go lower than that> The idea is to improve the quality of the calories I take in
    so substituting empty calories with more wholesome ones (something like that)
    :bigsmile:
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    See right now Im on a sorta plateau so if substituting sugar with honey cud help I'm game . . .

Ummm....stop eating sugar?

well its just an idea. . .
    A lot of individuals who have ADD are advised to limit or stop sugar (as in granulated sugar) intake.
    And they seem to improve and are able to concentrate better.
    Basically I'm looking for all sorts of alternatives

FunFact: In some countries they sweeten their tea with dates/dried cherries

So instead of just adding in granulated sugar to everything, we can explore other options :flowerforyou:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Aw sugar. Don't ya know? Honey IS sugar, honey.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Scientists have revealed that honey has powerful anti-bacterial properties on at least sixty species of bacteria, and unlike antibiotics, which are often useless against certain types of bacteria, honey is non-toxic and has strong effects.It is also stated to cure some allergies, particularly localized honey to an area could help minimize seasonal allergies as bees feed on pollen from local plants which eventually finds its way to form honey.

Um, lots of incorrect info there.
    The principal component that has anti-bacterial properties in honey is called Defensin 1. However, it has also been implicated in cystic fibrosis.
    I'm not saying at all that honey will give you CF, but every effective molecule that has pharmacological properties - every single one - if it is not snake oil, will have secondary effects or toxic effects.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    One word...TRUVIA! This stuff is amazing..it even has the crunchy texture of sugar. I literally consume zero added sugar now. Add it to my oatmeal, coffee, Greek yogurt, etc.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    use legit stevia (there is a lot of crap stevia out there). it's zero calorie and several times sweeter than sugar. It doesn't have the same effect as any other sweetener out there. It's from a plant.

I stay away from actual sugar unless it's fruit and even then, I only have fruit immediately after a workout and with a protein source so i don't get sugar spikes.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Honey, corn syrup, table sugar--its all metabolized into glucose in the blood stream. Honey is interesting in that it keeps indefinitely and it does add shelf life to food cooked with it. Other than that--use it if you enjoy it but don't expect it to do more than sweeten your food.
  • JessRosko
    JessRosko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have almost completely cut out sugar, my only weakness is fruit greek yogurt. Other than that my sugar comes from vegetables - so tomatoes/spaghetti squash/lettuce.

It was hard, but so worth it. When I have something on my 'free' day, it usually isn't sugar based. I will crave pizza. This coming from a girl who could sit and eat a bag of jelly beans in one blink.

When I do have something sweet, I skyrocket/crash so severely that I don't enjoy it. I've been eating this way since July 1st and do not want to go back.
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    One word...TRUVIA! This stuff is amazing..it even has the crunchy texture of sugar. I literally consume zero added sugar now. Add it to my oatmeal, coffee, Greek yogurt, etc.

great . .thnx for the info:drinker:
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    use legit stevia (there is a lot of crap stevia out there). it's zero calorie and several times sweeter than sugar. It doesn't have the same effect as any other sweetener out there. It's from a plant.

I stay away from actual sugar unless it's fruit and even then, I only have fruit immediately after a workout and with a protein source so i don't get sugar spikes.

stevia . . thats next on my list gr8!!
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    I have almost completely cut out sugar, my only weakness is fruit greek yogurt. Other than that my sugar comes from vegetables - so tomatoes/spaghetti squash/lettuce.

It was hard, but so worth it. When I have something on my 'free' day, it usually isn't sugar based. I will crave pizza. This coming from a girl who could sit and eat a bag of jelly beans in one blink.

When I do have something sweet, I skyrocket/crash so severely that I don't enjoy it. I've been eating this way since July 1st and do not want to go back.

:heart: this is so inspiring . .WTG . .
  • sapphireswi
    Options
    Aw sugar. Don't ya know? Honey IS sugar, honey.

Winnie the pooh never ate sugar dah-ling :bigsmile:
  • eilish99
    eilish99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just because there is something on the internet, it doesn't make it true. Honey is sugar is sugar is sugar. The only real way to break a sweet tooth is to cut sweets out entirely.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And honey IS a sugar. That said, honey also has vitamins, etc., that processed sugar or "high fructose corn syrup" doesn't have. So if you like it, use it for the added nutrients, but keep on counting the calories. :flowerforyou:

This is wrong a calorie is not a calorie, but I know you typed it with the best intentions x
  • tonyjrsmom
    Options
    I am completely sugar free, did it cold turkey too. I switched over to Stevia. I find that even that is too sweet for me now and I use very little of it. I only eat low sugar fruits like berries, and not very often. They are treats.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This is wrong a calorie is not a calorie, but I know you typed it with the best intentions x

A calorie is a calorie as far as the unit of food energy it supplies the body with. They are further defined into corresponding macronutrients and clearly 1 calorie of protein has a different effect and utilization as 1 calorie of fat or carbohydrate but they are still 1 calorie.

Just like my foot is a foot and not a lampshade.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

If you are at a plateau - why not look at how many calories in total you are consuming and not try to pin it on one specific food?

bcos im doin about 1000 cals/day so i cant go lower than that> The idea is to improve the quality of the calories I take in
    so substituting empty calories with more wholesome ones (something like that)
    :bigsmile:

Instead of pinpointing one specific item, why not try eating MORE than 1000 calories per day...I've heard from a number of people here on MFP that when they upped their cals slightly, they were able to break through plateaus (no weight loss for at least 4 weeks, I believe, is considered a plateau? I could be wrong on that) I dunno...I take in about 1850 calories through food plus eat most of my exercise calories...I eat items from all the different food groups (no allergies or apparent sensitivities) and I am still losing weight...much more slowly than I was at first, because I'm closer to my goal, but still able to eat, enjoy, and lose a little weight. Not a bad deal.

Good luck!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    To the OP just eat a little less sugar type foods each day and you can wean yourself off it.

I used to eat a biscuit each morning with my tea, gradually I broke it down to a half, quarter, teensy weensy bit, and now I dont eat it.

I don`t crave sugar, and my sugar (which I no longer log in my diary cos it is really low) is practically non existent.