Women who heavy lift...

Options
13»

Replies

• catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I'm a huge fan of the NROWL. I aim to lift heavy but I use dumbbells at home so I could go heavier if I went to a gym. Right now I use 2 20lbs for lower body and 12 to 18 for upper body. The whole 'how heavy does it need to be' seems kind of hard to determine. The New Rules isn't very clear on this. I basically aim for muscle failure--if I can't finish 3 sets of 15 and if I'm sore the next day, I know it's heavy enough. If I can and I'm not sore, well, I need more weight. I also do some body weight stuff that pretty challenging--box jumps, pushups, etc. Right now I lift about 2-3 times a week plus 1 or 2 days of cardio. I aim for a macro distribution of 30/30/40 but meeting that 30% protein goal can be a challenge. I plan all my meals around what I'm going to eat for lean protein.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have the New Rules on order. Bumping so I can remember to read all the other great info later.
  • jockette2011
    jockette2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bumping.....I am on week 4 of recovery from a broken collarbone, but can't wait to get back to lifting.....never felt or looked better!
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been lifting heavy for a long time (I'm a figure competitor). Now I'm doing an off-season bulk, so the weights are even heavier!!
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hooray for girls who aren't afraid to lift some proper weight.

^^^ Hooray for this! ^^^
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Not ready for this yet, but it's a goal!!
    Yes you are! While it's difficult to gain muscle mass while losing weight, at least you can work to maintain the muscle you already have. It's never to early (or late) to start lifting!

Oh, and feel free to add me!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I weighed 105 pounds about 3 years ago, mostly baby weight lost through cardio and a relatively low calorie diet. I was 22% body fat.

I started doing Crossfit 2.5 years ago, learned how to lift heavy, then started lifting on my own. I did New Rules of Lifting for Women 2 times through, and now I do routines I find off of Bodybuilding.com or a couple fitness blogs I go to. I lift 3-4 times a week and do minimal cardio, in the form of HIIT.

During the last 2.5 years I have gained 8 pounds, lost 2.5% body fat, and still wear the same size 0-3 clothes (with the exceptions of some small tshirts w/ small arm holes since my biceps and shoulders gained a little size). My measurements are the same or less, and I eat approximately 750+ calories more a day than I was eating and still maintain my current weight.

I also feel better, sleep better, feel stronger, look better...the results are amazing and I'll never stop lifting!

1st thing I would do if I were you is get the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and educate yourself. The program is a good starting point an I liked it so much I did it twice!