Breakfast: Carb Alternatives that ARENT eggs!

Options

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Muesli or granola with milk or yogurt, english muffins with peanut butter, smoothies
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Google paleo breakfast and you will find grain free (usually low-carb) breakfasts all over the place. I make almond meal muffins with veggies in them. Scrumptious and grab and go!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast. I sometimes have leftover steak and veggies w/ an egg. Smoked salmon spread with cream cheese and wrapped around steamed asparagus. Protein shakes w/ fruit and/or greens. Banana or apple w/ nut butter. Apple/oatmeal crisp.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Banana Pancakes

1 Banana
    2 Beaten eggs
    cinnamon (optional)

Smash the banana, add cinnamon , then add beaten eggs. Mix well. Fry like you would regular pancakes, but do in small batches. You can also add 2 Tablespoons of almond butter for more protein if you want. With fruit and bacon this is a pretty filling meal.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The "cholesterol" in eggs is mostly omegas, eggs are good for you.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I like the Orowheat Whole Grain Double Fiber English Muffins (120 cal / 29 carbs) or the Trader Joes Fat Free English Muffins (110 cal / 23 carbs) for breakfast.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 19 and away at college...so in the mornings she goes to the cafeteria and get bacon, sausage with broccoli (yeah I guess they have it that early!) she does have some hash brown but swears just a few bites.

she loves her carbs, but knows not to eat too many.

So how about the breakfast meats without the eggs and bread that usually go with them?

Good luck..... college cafeterias and eating at fast food places are hard sometimes! Just stay aware and smart!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Who says it has to be "breakfast food"? Anything you'd otherwise eat is fair game.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Banana Pancakes

1 Banana
    2 Beaten eggs
    cinnamon (optional)

Smash the banana, add cinnamon , then add beaten eggs. Mix well. Fry like you would regular pancakes, but do in small batches. You can also add 2 Tablespoons of almond butter for more protein if you want. With fruit and bacon this is a pretty filling meal.

i am gonna have to try this!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Coach's rolled oats and a tblsp of peanut butter. You need carbs and protein for breakfast and the rest of your meals you can cut out the carbs if you want, but your brain needs carbs.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie almost every morning with almond milk, vanilla whey powder, strawberries and a banana. Quick and delicious, lots of protein.
  • Kkleo2102
    Options
    Walnuts (or almonds), Avocado, Mango, lime juice, and mint on toast . I get the frozen mangoes from Trader Joe's and let them thaw in the fridge. Mix with the avocado and mint. Pour over lime juice (fresh from a lime) and then add the walnuts. I also add a pinch of salt and pepper. Usually I'll put it on toast or on a whole wheat english muffin. One time I made a romaine lettuce wrap with the mango-avocado mix.
  • FranWins
    FranWins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually just have an apple or two for breakfast.

If you're looking for protein, most breakfast meats don't take long to cook (ham, canadian bacon, small sausages, a thin steak, etc).

You said yoghurt makes you sick - does ALL dairy make you ill? If not, perhaps some cottage cheese with fruit (or a small spoonful of natural preserves) would also be a good choice.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes made with almond milk!

This! I use ON Extreme Milk Chocolate with 12 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Tastes JUST like chocolate milk. And sometimes I add some ice and/or peanut butter to make it a little higher calorie and give it some volume, but a lot of days I just throw it in a blender bottle and head out the door, then have a low-carb snack later on in the morning, like maybe a couple cheese sticks.

Some of the Atkins products aren't too bad, either.

If you're wanting to lower your carb intake, skip the fruit. It's natural sugar, but it's still WAY high in carbs!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options

yeah - I just gotta add here that dietary cholesterol is NOT what shows up in high blood cholesterol testing. If you've got high cholesterol number via blood tests , then most likely the higher carb foods are playing their part by inflaming your circulatory system...thus producing higher blood cholesterol. BUT, it is NOT your dietary cholesterol that is doing it!

Egg yolks do have cholesterol, which isn't bad, your body needs it! If you don't eat enough of it, you body will make more!

Eggs also have many other micro-nutrients and amino acids that your brain cells utilize :-)

Google around for this research, it is fascinating!
  • stephgreene
    Options
    my daughter is 19 and away at college...so in the mornings she goes to the cafeteria and get bacon, sausage with broccoli (yeah I guess they have it that early!) she does have some hash brown but swears just a few bites.

she loves her carbs, but knows not to eat too many.

So how about the breakfast meats without the eggs and bread that usually go with them?

Good luck..... college cafeterias and eating at fast food places are hard sometimes! Just stay aware and smart!

I'm living at home, but I commute - equally as hard when you have to carry your food around with you all day!
  • stephgreene
    Options
    Who says it has to be "breakfast food"? Anything you'd otherwise eat is fair game.

.... I really like breakfast food....
  • stephgreene
    Options

yeah - I just gotta add here that dietary cholesterol is NOT what shows up in high blood cholesterol testing. If you've got high cholesterol number via blood tests , then most likely the higher carb foods are playing their part by inflaming your circulatory system...thus producing higher blood cholesterol. BUT, it is NOT your dietary cholesterol that is doing it!

Egg yolks do have cholesterol, which isn't bad, your body needs it! If you don't eat enough of it, you body will make more!

Eggs also have many other micro-nutrients and amino acids that your brain cells utilize :-)

Google around for this research, it is fascinating!

I have researched this and I know this but I'm living at home with my dad and he is against egg yolks, but all for egg whites. I'm against arguing small things and living peacefully, so if it's that big of a deal, then no eggs
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    By the way - if you get your glucose/insulin in check, the cholesterol won't be an issue and you won't have to worry about eggs, red meat, etc...

Edit: but based on what you just posted, you already know that! :wink:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why not eggs? Yum! Protein - try lean bacon, cottage cheese, ricotta, yoghurt.

I try & eat carbs & protein at breakfast.

VERY high cholesterol - I'm trying not to eat more than 2-3 a week, tops

Eggs don't give you high cholesterol. At all.