Almond milk for a toddler?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the comments, so maybe someone already said this. When my kids were really little my doctor wanted me to give them whole milk to drink because they needed the extra fat for all the growing they need to do (their bodies and brains), that's why they ask if they are drinking whole milk (and also the milk in general for protein, calcium and all that). But, lots of kids are lactose intolerant or have an allergy and they get protein, calcium and nutrients from other sources just fine.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has more calcium than cow's milk and is better for you.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    my 4 yr old drinks almond milk and it incredibly healthy.

**there is protein in veggies too. I am so sick of everybody thinking that protein and calcium only come from animal products. We are omnivores. That means we do not have to eat meat and dairy. We can live off of veggies too. If you are that worried, supplement with vitamins.

My 4 yr old eats mostly vegetarian. I will not force him to eat meat or any animal products. If he wants to eat/drink nuts and veggies, I will never stand in the way.

THANK YOU! Afterall, where do we think the cows get it from?!?! :drinker:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    my 4 yr old drinks almond milk and it incredibly healthy.

**there is protein in veggies too. I am so sick of everybody thinking that protein and calcium only come from animal products. We are omnivores. That means we do not have to eat meat and dairy. We can live off of veggies too. If you are that worried, supplement with vitamins.

My 4 yr old eats mostly vegetarian. I will not force him to eat meat or any animal products. If he wants to eat/drink nuts and veggies, I will never stand in the way.

THANK YOU! Afterall, where do we think the cows get it from?!?! :drinker:

very few plant based proteins are complete proteins that contain all the essential amino acids... qinoua, soy, lentils, are like the only ones =/
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The reason for whole milk is to provide fat, vitamin D, iron and calcium. Fat helps with nerve and brain development. Vitamin D and calcium promote bone health. There are other foods that can provide these nutrients. Add omega-3 fats, olive oil and nut butter, and increase daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Almond milk is an excellent choice. Human's actually have a hard time breaking down the enzymes in cows milk anyway. Regarding the omega 3's, open a capsule and place some in the toddler's apple sauce. It's so good for them.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    and he loves those too.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Then again...to me 4 doesn't really speak toddler. I guess in my mind frame I see toddler as anything between 1-2 maybe 2.5 yrs old. But here is an interesting article I just found googling the subject :)

http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-nutrition/milk-for-toddlers.aspx

He just turned 4 last month...He's still a toddler! I refuse to accept otherwise lol
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    They recommend whole milk because the dairy fat is for brain development. However my son was allergic to dairy and still to this day can only do 2% milk. We gave him goat's milk til he was about 6. Then worked him up to 2% milk. Goat's milk is sweet as well so he loved it and it is loaded with vitamins.
  • LittleRedBoots
    LittleRedBoots Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? You're asking a forum of non-qualified people for advice on COMPLETELY REMOVING MILK FROM YOUR 4 YEAR OLDS DIET?! No.. stick with real milk - did you even read the packaging on almond milk?
    And in the future ask a doctor not the uneducated public.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? You're asking a forum of non-qualified people for advice on COMPLETELY REMOVING MILK FROM YOUR 4 YEAR OLDS DIET?! No.. stick with real milk - did you even read the packaging on almond milk?

Exactly how much education does a doctor receive on the medical benefits of milk?
  • Mama_Lyn
    Mama_Lyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 4 and has lactose intolerance- she had it since she was a noob. She took soy formula (yea, tried bf for 2 months, didn't work), then soy milk, then almond milk. She's fit, strong, vibrant, and healthy. We do lots of omega-3's, fresh fruits and veggies, and get this- she LOVES cheese, so we give it to her in moderation (the intolerance causes bubbly sour tummy, but she can tolerate dairy based products- go figure).
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended (I know that Dr. Sears recommends this as well) that it's no milk until age 1 for allergies, then whole milk until age 2, then non-fat or low-fat milk after age 2.

That said, my son is casein-intolerant, which means he is allergic to the milk protein, not just lactose intolerant. He is NOT intolerant to soy, but it was recommended by our developmental pediatrician that we use almond milk instead of soy milk. He just turned 3 last week. As long as your child has a well-balanced diet, I wouldn't be concerned with a preference for almond milk.

Actually, here's a link to Dr Sears, who explains why the types of milk are recommended for certain ages. http://www.parenting.com/article/whole-or-two-percent
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'd say no, but ask your doctor. I know soy milk is not good for boys under 12 because they have found in studies that it can block some testosterone growth in young kids and you don't want that!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    My 4 year old tried some and he really likes it. Now he's asking for it instead of the whole milk I keep in the house for him. Is it bad for him not to drink the whole milk? I wouldn't think so, but every time I go to the peditrition they always ask if hes been getting enough milk.

your doctor is concerned about the protein in milk because for a growing 4 year old they need the protein and milk is pretty much their main source its like natures protein shake... almond milk is low in protein and fats so not as good for someone growing but has its benefits... why not give him both?

There are plenty of other great sources of protein. I mean, think about it... we're the only animals that drink another animal's milk... and we're the only animals that drink milk past childhood. Nature's intentions? I'm not so sure!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/dog-nurses-kittens_n_1818215.html

You're absolutely right, I should have added with few exceptions. However, the purpose of a mother's milk is to make a baby fat in the first few months or so of life...

More so to pass on some natural immunity and to make up for the fact that babies can't chew. Its also recommended that you breastfeed until the child naturally weens their self but no one follows this. If the only goal was to make them fat it would be easy to do this with many other foods.

I did :smile: ... And it is to pass on immunities and nutrients, but it is also to support the rapid growth in the first year. A cow's milk is to support the massive growth in a baby calf- not the second year of life for a human baby. I'm not really trying to argue, I just think almond milk is perfectly fine and cow's milk isn't necessary for a toddler... all of the nutrients can be found elsewhere.

A mommy makes milk specifically formulated for their baby/child. It isn't necessarily for fattening up a baby. Actually a BF baby usually loses up to 10% of it's birth weight before starting to gain.
    My first naturally weaned at 1 1/2 yrs old. My second just turned 4 and is still nursing a few times a day. Our culture has kinda screwed up the natural way of feeding children because of stigma. Something totally natural is looked at as taboo because women's breasts have become an item for sexual gratification- more so than what their main function is meant to be- feeding children.

All that aside- when my kids drink milk it is Organic 2%. We have allergies to peanuts and tree nuts in our house, so no almond milk here. If we were sans allergies- I would certainly let my kids drink almond milk.
    Goats milk, yogurt, cheese... there are many ways to get calcium and D. Watch the nutrients is my advice. Past two yrs old, there is no need for the excessive fat in whole milk.

Just my 2 cents! :)

29972982.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Edited to fix spelling and add WL ticker!
  • WaxMama
    Options
    My 4 year old tried some and he really likes it. Now he's asking for it instead of the whole milk I keep in the house for him. Is it bad for him not to drink the whole milk? I wouldn't think so, but every time I go to the peditrition they always ask if hes been getting enough milk.

your doctor is concerned about the protein in milk because for a growing 4 year old they need the protein and milk is pretty much their main source its like natures protein shake... almond milk is low in protein and fats so not as good for someone growing but has its benefits... why not give him both?

There are plenty of other great sources of protein. I mean, think about it... we're the only animals that drink another animal's milk... and we're the only animals that drink milk past childhood. Nature's intentions? I'm not so sure!

You're absolutely right, I should have added with few exceptions. However, the purpose of a mother's milk is to make a baby fat in the first few months or so of life...

More so to pass on some natural immunity and to make up for the fact that babies can't chew. Its also recommended that you breastfeed until the child naturally weens their self but no one follows this. If the only goal was to make them fat it would be easy to do this with many other foods.

I did :smile: ... And it is to pass on immunities and nutrients, but it is also to support the rapid growth in the first year. A cow's milk is to support the massive growth in a baby calf- not the second year of life for a human baby. I'm not really trying to argue, I just think almond milk is perfectly fine and cow's milk isn't necessary for a toddler... all of the nutrients can be found elsewhere.

A mommy makes milk specifically formulated for their baby/child. It isn't necessarily for fattening up a baby. Actually a BF baby usually loses up to 10% of it's birth weight before starting to gain.
    My first naturally weaned at 1 1/2 yrs old. My second just turned 4 and is still nursing a few times a day. Our culture has kinda screwed up the natural way of feeding children because of stigma. Something totally natural is looked at as taboo because women's breasts have become an item for sexual gratification- more so than what their main function is meant to be- feeding children.

All that aside- when my kids drink milk it is Organic 2%. We have allergies to peanuts and tree nuts in our house, so no almond milk here. If we were sans allergies- I would certainly let my kids drink almond milk.
    Goats milk, yogurt, cheese... there are many ways to get calcium and D. Watch the nutrients is my advice. Past two yrs old, there is no need for the excessive fat in whole milk.

29972982.png

I agree with most of what you said, except the weight loss immediately after birth has nothing to do with mother's milk... a baby has extra fluid and fat to help with stress during birth and that is what accounts for the loss in the first days of life. We grow more in the first year than any other year (well, naturally anyway) and that is what a mother's milk is intended to support. Calfs have to put on a lot more weight in their first year than we do, which is why cow's milk has a higher fat conent then breast milk.
  • WaxMama
    Options

Ask your doctor and your kid's ped (if you have any) how much schooling on nutrition they had to complete before becoming your doctor :smile:
  • PetulantOne
    Options

Seriously! Your passing judgement on me? On the internet? Oh no. Read all the comments, and get off your high horse.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful replies :)
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options

29972982.png

I agree with most of what you said, except the weight loss immediately after birth has nothing to do with mother's milk... a baby has extra fluid and fat to help with stress during birth and that is what accounts for the loss in the first days of life. We grow more in the first year than any other year (well, naturally anyway) and that is what a mother's milk is intended to support. Calfs have to put on a lot more weight in their first year than we do, which is why cow's milk has a higher fat conent then breast milk.

I just meant that MM isn't solely for making a baby fat in the first months. There is a lot more going on there than that. :)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My toddler was constantly getting constipated (tmi alert) but almost instantly when I switched him to soy milk (Silk) he is fine.