This is not workin....

Options

Replies

• Miss_Alishia
    Options
    I don't count veggies in my calories... thoughts on that?
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Depends on portions, and what kind.

Ideally you need to count EVERYTHING that has calories,

drinks, snacks, anything
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

I eat basically the same thing everyday... before I started tracking here I was doing weight watchers so that is where the no veggie cals came from... so, I eat salad every day for lunch, I don't count the lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucs, onions... I count the dressing. I also have two "free" fruits a day - apple and peach.
  • zachatta
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

I eat basically the same thing everyday... before I started tracking here I was doing weight watchers so that is where the no veggie cals came from... so, I eat salad every day for lunch, I don't count the lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucs, onions... I count the dressing. I also have two "free" fruits a day - apple and peach.

That is where you are messing up, the apple and the peach have at least 100ish cals a piece.

The veggies probably add up to 100+

300 you are not taking into consideration.

And if you drink anything with cals, coffee with creamer or or milk, that has to be added.

You are probably just consuming more than you think.

EDIT: Black coffee obviously has nothing, just simply saying creamer or milk or whatnot
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

Keep in mind that while WW doesn't require you to count points for veggies, it is accounted for in the formula. So, while you aren't ACTUALLY counting them, you really are. Calorie counting works differently than WW in that respect. And you most DEFINITELY ought to be counting fruit calories if you aren't.
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

That is where you are messing up, the apple and the peach have at least 100ish cals a piece.

And if you drink anything with cals, coffee with creamer or or milk, that has to be added.

EDIT: Black coffee obviously has nothing, just simply saying creamer or milk or whatnot

I just included EVERYTHING in my food tracker... its still only 1200 ish cals... is that enough? The ladies here are saying I should be eating 1600 or so?
  • zachatta
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

I just included EVERYTHING in my food tracker... its still only 1200 ish cals... is that enough? The ladies here are saying I should be eating 1600 or so?

How could you be eating 1200 prior, include everything, and now be eating 1200?

Out of curiosity, what is your standing weight, before you get offended, I started weighing at 270 lbs.

EDIT: Your cals depends on your weight, if you are very overweight for your height (you know if you are) and you are

only eating 1200 cals, you are doing it wrong.

When i started cutting, counting exercise cals i would be eating 2700 (at 270 lbs).
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

Out of curiosity, what is your standing weight, before you get offended, I started weighing at 270 lbs.

hahaha! I am not easy to offend :) I weigh 166-167 ish. so the calories, I wasn't eating them all before, I was coming in under my calorie goal... and so when I added the lettuce and fruit it really didn't add much to it. Its just over 1200... you can look at my diary :)
  • zachatta
    Options

drinks, snacks, anything

hahaha! I am not easy to offend :) I weigh 166-167 ish. so the calories, I wasn't eating them all before, I was coming in under my calorie goal... and so when I added the lettuce and fruit it really didn't add much to it. Its just over 1200... you can look at my diary :)

Ok, well just try counting everything, and maybe up the cals a bit, although at 160-170 1200 is not necessarily far off, but probably a tad bit low.

Just do that for a month, and see what happens. You have to be HONEST about everything though, because if you cheat every other day, but "deny it" and then at the end of the month, you didn't lose. It wasn't "MFP not working" it was you not being honest.

I hope this helps.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I noticed when I looked at your diary was a potato that was entered as a "medium" potato - which to me means, it was completely unmeasured and unweighed. It does appear like this with the rest of your diary too - "Tomato - 4 slices" - well, my slices might be thicker than the person who entered it, "Peas 2/3 cup" - how big is your cup? Apple "medium", Peach "large" and then it goes on - "Generic Tortias" + 1/4 cup of cheese. In fact many of your measurements are in cups???

Especially when it comes to anything with carbs or protein, I make sure that I am 100% sure I know what the weight is, because that is the only way to know exactly how many calories you are consuming. A cup of pasta means different things to different people and you will be very surprised how wildly different the amount of calories in a cup of pasta between people could be.

The other really dangerous thing I saw was salad dressing entered as tablespoons - seriously, you should rather measure it, because eyeballing it, you could easily be completely underestimating it. (Also, are you using and logging the same brands?)
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    But cups and tablespoons are standard measures! (250ml and 15ml respectively). I enter stuff in my diary using cups and tbs - doesn't mean I've not measured - it means I've got out my cup measures and checked how much of a cup or how many ml!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But cups and tablespoons are standard measures! (250ml and 15ml respectively). I enter stuff in my diary using cups and tbs - doesn't mean I've not measured - it means I've got out my cup measures and checked how much of a cup or how many ml!
    QFT

Weight may be more accurate to the exact calorie, but using a cup instead of weighing isn't going to be so off that it should affect weight loss.

2/3 of a cup is a pretty exact measurement. "How big is your cup?"???? Probably as big as the usual.
  • AlisaRN
    AlisaRN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't give up yet!!!! I worked so hard at it for a good two months plus a little before I saw any difference in the scale or in how my clothes fit. I told myself I would give it one more month (3months). Especially if you're exercising, it may take a while to see a change. Muscle can take the place of fat before you can actually SEE any fat loss. I would give it at least 3 months before you throw in the towel. Plus, the couple pound weight gain may be from water retention due to hormones or diet. I wouldn't sweat seeing a couple extra pounds on the scale if you've been eating right; it's probably just transient.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My theory was bigger deficit, faster weightloss but that theory is not working out... any suggestions???

You say you've been at this "a while" but I don't know how long you mean. My theory is that the more we try to hurry weight loss, the longer it takes. I lost weight very successfully but I did not immediately lose and then there were the plateaus along the way. If it's possible to create a calorie deficit and not lose weight over time, then this whole site is pointless because that is what it is predicated upon.
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options
    The very first thing I noticed when I looked at your diary was a potato that was entered as a "medium" potato - which to me means, it was completely unmeasured and unweighed. It does appear like this with the rest of your diary too - "Tomato - 4 slices" - well, my slices might be thicker than the person who entered it, "Peas 2/3 cup" - how big is your cup? Apple "medium", Peach "large" and then it goes on - "Generic Tortias" + 1/4 cup of cheese. In fact many of your measurements are in cups???

Especially when it comes to anything with carbs or protein, I make sure that I am 100% sure I know what the weight is, because that is the only way to know exactly how many calories you are consuming. A cup of pasta means different things to different people and you will be very surprised how wildly different the amount of calories in a cup of pasta between people could be.

The other really dangerous thing I saw was salad dressing entered as tablespoons - seriously, you should rather measure it, because eyeballing it, you could easily be completely underestimating it. (Also, are you using and logging the same brands?)

I measure using cups and measuring spoons. I also weigh things. Salad dressing ( I do typically use the brand I track) for instance, I track two table spoons but the gram measurement is easier for me to calculate usind the food scale. One two table spoon serving is 30 g. I measure accurately and track what is available in the food tracker here. I am less accurate on veggies. Same thing with the potato... I know how many calories are in the potato I am going to eat for dinner by weighing it but the tracker doesn't always have the right calculations so I have to use what is available.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    if you aren't lifting weights, start. This is how you will see progress.
  • rcountrybrat
    Options
    when is the last time you have had your thyroid checked, because that will make weightloss a huge problem.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You are undereating or not recording all your food in your diary. MFP already has a calorie deficit built in. Eating under 1200 calories is not healthy for most people.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Let's take 1/4 cup of cheese.

It very much depends on whether the cheese is sliced, melted, chopped or finely grated just how much you would fit into that quarter cup - 100g of cheese contains the same amount of calories regardless of all these variables. It's an extremely imprecise way of measuring and while it may work when you have much weight to lose, as you lose weight, you have to become more accurate in your measurements because your body burns less calories.

Just being 20g off in your measurements means a 100 calorie difference when it comes to cheese!!
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for a while... counting calories, working out, blah, blah... I have not lost a pound.. infact, I have put on two in the past week. I don't cheat, and even on my "days off" my husband and I have been doing something active. I am typically very lazy so the past month or so of steady exercise and dieting should be showing right?? The only thing I can think of that I might be doing wrong is I don't eat the calories I earn from working out... could this be hindering my weightloss? My theory was bigger deficit, faster weightloss but that theory is not working out... any suggestions???

Thanks,

Alishia

it's all about finding out what works for you. Everyone is different. I've been at this for a month, and not a pound lost. I'm not eating too little, I know that. I'm exercising regularly and well, so I know it's not that. But, as my doctor said yesterday, my particular body runs like a Prius (very efficient metabolism), not a race car.....so it's going to take more time for me to see results. He explained that with body types like mine, it often takes up to 6 weeks(!!!) before the body will "let go". So hang in there.

I have always had trouble with weight loss, and always would start out strong, and quit about 5-6 weeks in, because I'd get frustrated at the lack of results. I found out two months ago, I have hypothyroidism! Which explains several things, and not just the lack of weight loss. So I KNOW it's not going to be easy for me to lose this, but scientifically speaking, if you are tracking calories properly, and exercising more, you WILL lose weight. It just might take more time than others.

So yeah, hang in there! Add me as a friend if you want, because I know EXACTLY how frustrating this is, when you do everything right, and see no results right away!!!! hahaha