Vegetarians

Options
When you tell yourself, "I'm going to lose weight," do you ever consider going vegetarian as a way to accomplish that? I don't think very many people, including myself, start out our new diet strategies thinking they should stop consuming animal products. For one, our diet is saturated with meat, so when we think about cutting it out completely, we freak out. Second, we are bombarded all throughout the day by advertising, so after the 40th ad for fast food chains, it gets harder to resist these foods. A great portion of this advertising scheme includes myths started and maintained by the meat industry which claim that meat is vital for our health, which simply isn't true.

Unless you have researched the effects of a meat-heavy diet on a person's health, the idea may sound ridiculous to you, and you will probably be close-minded to this topic. But for those who are up to speed on the dangerous health effects of meat, it shouldn't take long before you see how it makes perfect sense. By reducing your meat consumption, you are preventing a lot of that excess fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium from entering your body right off the bat, not to mention all those extra hormones and dioxin levels you're leaving out. As you consume more fruits, nuts and vegetables, your body can play catch up by soaking up all those wonderful nutrients and vitamins its been missing. When you focus more on consuming whole foods, you steer away from processed foods in general, which are loaded with unwanted sweeteners and preservatives. The combination of all these contaminants (and so many more) prevent us from reaching our health goals.

You can't just snap your fingers and ~poof~ you're a vegetarian, just like you can't be 40 lbs lighter in one day. It is a journey that will challenge and inspire you. No matter how far you take it- whether you just cut out red meat 80% of the time or you go full vegan- there will always be a positive result. By eating more of what's good and less of what's bad, you'll see wonderful results in all aspects of your life- health, environment, conscience and wallet.

My point is that becoming a vegetarian can be your version of "going on a diet," because any new diet you start is difficult and foreign to what you are used to. You'll have ups and downs, proud and disappointing moments, and if you can stick to it, you'll want your new diet to have positive long term effects!

There have also been many studies done to show how people have lost weight, defeated cancer and completely reversed their cardiovascular diseases simply by removing meat from their diet.

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    tacos!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The mere research it takes to be a vegan or vegetarian is rewarding in itself to find food. By learning our foods, we respect and enjoy meals way better I've at least personally experienced.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Samanthaskywalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The mere research it takes to be a vegan or vegetarian is rewarding in itself to find food. By learning our foods, we respect and enjoy meals way better I've at least personally experienced.

I agree. Mindlessly eating whatever is in front of you can easily add on pounds. When you have to "hunt" a little more for your food, you are using your brain and thinking critically, which is also good for your health! :)
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for about 10 months (I have slipped up and had meat here and there...About once a month)..and it is not as hard as people think it is. Eating out is hard... but it's expensive and usually not as healthy as cooking at home anyways.

I know that I save a LOT of money feeding myself and my family. I shop at Woodman's or the bulk sections at the Co-op to stock up on grains and shop at the farmers market for produce.

AND...let me tell you, I feel so much better since becoming a vegetarian. My headaches are gone, my body is "regular," I have more energy and I don't crave sweets and carbs anymore.

It really is worth a try.
  • beonehotnurseagain
    Options
    I agree with what you said. As a vegetarian myself, i am a firm believer on the "dangers" of meat. However, I also know some overweight vegetarian's ( myself included). That just because they don't eat meat doesn't mean that someone is going to make the right healthy choices. Mac 'n' cheese is completely vegetarian, but loaded in calories. To me it is all about balance, like with everything in life.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for about 10 months (I have slipped up and had meat here and there...About once a month)..and it is not as hard as people think it is. Eating out is hard... but it's expensive and usually not as healthy as cooking at home anyways.

I know that I save a LOT of money feeding myself and my family. I shop at Woodman's or the bulk sections at the Co-op to stock up on grains and shop at the farmers market for produce.

AND...let me tell you, I feel so much better since becoming a vegetarian. My headaches are gone, my body is "regular," I have more energy and I don't crave sweets and carbs anymore.

It really is worth a try.

I'm really glad to hear you enjoy it and that you accept your slips. I have them as well but the best thing to do is just move on and try again. Focusing on the negative never helps anyone reach their goals.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    well said... people think that being a vegetarian is UBER HEALTHY... (which it can be!) but then they eat fried onion rings, chips, or whatever they want that is "vegetarian".... which certainly does not give you the same healthy benefits of a "whole food" plant based diet.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    I agree with what you said. As a vegetarian myself, i am a firm believer on the "dangers" of meat. However, I also know some overweight vegetarian's ( myself included). That just because they don't eat meat doesn't mean that someone is going to make the right healthy choices. Mac 'n' cheese is completely vegetarian, but loaded in calories. To me it is all about balance, like with everything in life.

I have an idea for you. Since you've conquered removing meat from your diet, take it to the next level: remove cheese. We often forget that cheese is an animal product and every bit as processed and non-beneficial to our health as the meat itself. If you just challenge yourself one day at a time, hell one meal at a time, to remove cheese from your diet, this will help you think outside the box to make healthier choices. And I agree, macaroni and cheese is so damn irresistable :)
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I don't preach the benefits of being vegetarian, I just try to let my excellent health, fitness and energy levels, sleep habits and general all around wellness testify to the difference a meat-free diet can make in one's life. I've been completely vegetarian for almost 2 years but prior to that only ate fish and poultry for about 12 years. I will never go back to meat. And since I've stopped eating it and allowed my mind to REALLY see what it means to eat the very animals I love so dearly, my conscience is clear and my spirit is lighter. :-)
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied :)
  • luciluvspandas
    Options
    Ive been a vegetarian for 4 yrs and a half. For me the hardest thing is cutting down carbs because its cheap and fast to make. But veggie stir frys and bean burritos are super fast and packed with awesome and filling nutrients. If anyway is trying or thinking about converting to vegetarianism you can add me or message me.
  • rolandgaspar
    Options

in total agreement. I was vegan for a good 7yrs, 10yrs ago when it was not as easy as it is now; it has increased my knowledge level and has added a degree of variety and open-mindedness that I dont' think non-vegans often get to.

.. before you think vegan = militant... you can totally be 100% vegan, but, then, should you want to, go out for sushi... it's just a label... you eat what you want to make yourself feel better --BUT, you're ever so much better informed.

during my vegan "stint" I met my wife, a staunch meat-eater and I would cook two meals, mine and hers; every day. Eventually she gravitated towards the "cool stuff" I was eating.. but, not w/o me also being infected by her food.. I mean, what kidn of cook doesn't taste what he's cooking... even if it's not vegan :p
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never understood people who turned vegetarian to lose weight...you still have to focus heavily on eating healthily. I've been vegetarian for 11 years and it was only this year that i crossed the line into overweight. You can have healthy diet whether it is vegetarian or not, but I do agree being vegetarian makes it easier to eat less fat (although unfortunately for me chocolate is still allowed in there!).
    Whilst there are many benefits to being vegetarian, I don't necessarily think weight loss is one of them.

I don't really preach about the benefits of being vegetarian either, and have never tried to convince anyone else they should make that change. I find it annoying when people try to convince me the other way and then get argumentative if I defend my decision.
  • kmmagik
    kmmagik Posts: 25
    Options
    In a few months it will be 21 years since I've had red meat and it's been over 17 since I've eaten pork or poultry. I am not a vegan so I eat dairy products and seafood. Unless you are making a commitment to eat whole foods only you still have to worry about your sodium as that's what I am struggling with right now since the meat substitutes are full of sodium. I'm not so sure how sustainable being a vegetarian is if you are just doing it for diet purposes. I have a passion for animals and after seeing what happens on factory farms just cannot bring myself to eat them so it's easy for me to not eat meat but strictly for calorie purposes I don't know. I can splurge plenty on pizza, fries, ice cream, chinese food, candy, cake and whatever else and believe me I do! Although the removal of animal fat from your diet does have huge positive impacts on your health. Power to you and good luck if you are trying it!!!
  • kmmagik
    kmmagik Posts: 25
    Options
    @Evey, I agree...over the years I've had so many people challenge me on my vegetarianism like it's a personal statement against them that I'm not eating what they eat. It would definitely be more easy on me if I did eat meat so I would 'conform' but it's just not right for me. I am lucky, my family has never challenged me on my decision. I always tell new people that I meet 'it doesn't bother me if you eat it as long as it doesn't bother you that I don't.'
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Why is it that vegetarians want meat eaters to accept them yet they are not accepting or tolerant of the meat eaters? Why are vegetarians always eating highly processed meat substitutes to replace what they don't get from meat?

Why are the majority of athletes meat eaters if eating vegetarian is so much better for you?

Why is every study done that concludes meat is good for you considered by the veggie eatiers to be untrustworthy?

I believe fruits and vegetables to be healthy and even essential to a well balanced diet. I also believe meat and other animal products to be essential to a well balanced diet. Cutting out items from your diet just because they are animal products and not on the merits of whether or not they are good for you seems to me to be counter intuitive.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Why is it that vegetarians want meat eaters to accept them yet they are not accepting or tolerant of the meat eaters? Why are vegetarians always eating highly processed meat substitutes to replace what they don't get from meat?

Actually I am pretty accepting. I don't want to eat meat, but everyone else can eat what they like. I accept this to the point that if I'm making a meal for someone I will cook meat for them if they don't like what I'm having, as I would expect them to cater to my tastes if I was at their house. I have never tried to convince somebody they should be vegetarian, but am constantly being told by people that I should eat meat and that one day they will succeed in convincing me.
    Also it's not necessary to eat the processed meat substitutes to get what we lose from not eating meat, it's just easier.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of good reasons to be a vegetarian, but weight loss isn't one of them.

Nor is a diet that lacks meat necessarily healthier than one that includes it.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Why are the majority of athletes meat eaters if eating vegetarian is so much better for you?

Why is every study done that concludes meat is good for you considered by the veggie eatiers to be untrustworthy?

I believe fruits and vegetables to be healthy and even essential to a well balanced diet. I also believe meat and other animal products to be essential to a well balanced diet. Cutting out items from your diet just because they are animal products and not on the merits of whether or not they are good for you seems to me to be counter intuitive.

I'm very tolerant, but I find that people expect me not to be. I don't eat meat substitutes (like vegetarian sausage) because I don't like the taste of meat.

Athletes in different fields have different ways of meeting nutritional needs. I'm in training for the 2020 Olympics for my sport & I've been a vegetarian for nearly 11 years. It doesn't make a difference in my sport.

I don't consider those studies to be untrustworthy. I just don't like meat & a vegetarian lifestyle suits me.

Your way of eating works for you. Mine works for me. It's not counter intuitive in my mind at all. Eating this way makes me feel better- it keeps my bp & cholesterol low without meds. When I became vegetarian I went from having migraines once a month to maybe once a year. It's cheaper & I eat more fresh foods than I did before.

This is my choice- I respect other people's choices, too. There are disrespectful people on both sides- it's not just the vegetarians being holier-than-thou.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I am of two minds on this topic.

My sister is a "vegan" and although she is educated on the topic, in her case (and I only mean her) it is an eating disorder. She was 175 overweight, had many risk factors, was treated for binge eating disorder and had a gastric bypass. She became a vegan to drop a lot of weight after surgery. Although she doesn't eat meat, she definitely binges on sugar and cheese and then gains weight and has to go back to being a vegan to lose it again. I think a more balanced approach to food would work better for her because she wouldn't always be punishing herself.

I have a friend who doesn't eat very much meat and does not like dairy at all. I saw her blood work and her triglycerides were 61, mine are 240! Her cholesterol was perfect and the good number was excellent. She is just a healthy eater and she certainly doesn't love food the way I do. I think that really helps!

There are lessons to be learned from both of them.