Low net calories okay?

Options

Replies

• msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    you seem to be forgetting to log breakfast and lunch...

We hope! I think this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low. I don't think you should be under 1000 calories on a daily basis. if you are one of the 'lucky' people who just don't love to eat as much as the rest of us, then skip your cardio exercises. I would just do workouts that are primarily resistance training for muscle maintenance. Maybe add some shakes in there if you can't eat in the morning. GNC's Lean shakes are okay and affordable. You should see a nutritious though tio be sure. Most of us on here aren't experts.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you will give up and fail.

nice try on crash diet
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I know some of the other people are sounding pretty harsh....they are just trying to help.

I checked your diary and yes you do need to eat more. even very petite people usually have BMRs over 1200 that's why MFP won't go lower thatn that.

Your BMR is what your body needs to function if you eat well below it for too long it starts trying to conserve by doing things like slowing metabolism, not putting much into the health of your hair skin and nails...You may not feel hungry but I promise your body is starving for more nutients. You need more protein for sure.

If you've been doing this for a long time I suggest you find out what your maintenance calories are and work up to eating that or just below it by a maybe 100 and do that for a few weeks then cut back again to a more moderate deficit.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Alright you should be able to see it now, sorry about that.

I'm 18, 5'8" 186 lbs last time i checked, and I think my lifestyle is pretty active, considering classes and ice hockey, I also run and work out every day.

Although I'm not your age, I am about 5'8 1/2, started on MFP at 199 pounds, now down to 160. I did that eating a NET of 1500-1800 calories every day, exercise 4-5 days a week (running, walking, bootcamp classes, yoga) and have consistently lost weight. Without ever feeling hungry or deprived--I eat smarter, move more, and have cut out some junk, but I still eat a variety of foods.

I honestly don't think you're eating nearly enough. Your diary reads like the diary of someone with an ED--very restricted, 400-700 calories per day, extremely low calorie foods, except for one day that you were at/around your 1200 calorie goal. If you are "really" not hungry, don't eat just to eat...but I think you could do some serious damage to your metabolism this way.

NIce stats. I am your height and started at 185. My goal is where you are at. Thanks for the info!
  • ArienneE
    Options
    i don't have a disorder i just don't like eating, i eat enough so i'm not hungry or light headed or anything i just don't know if i should be forcing a change, i know that it seems really unhealthy but i don't understand how it could be, i feel worse when i eat more than when i eat how i do. i try to keep my net above 100 every day but even doing that is eating more than i want most of the time
    i don't know
    thank you for your input all of you i really do appreciate it
  • sk_bennett
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what do you mean by net calories? I usually only eat 1400-1500 calories, which MFP says that my limit is 1640. I've also been told by a nutritionist to NOT eat back the calories that you burn by exercising.

The nutritionist probably isn't familiar with how MFP is set up. MFP is set up specifically to where you DO eat back your exercise calories. If your MFP limit is 1640, it means you should be netting right around there - so if you burn 500 calories through exercise, you need to eat round 2140 calories a day to be healthy and lose weight.

Please eat more! Other posters have already pointed out the dangers of not doing so. Just because you're not hungry doesn't mean anything. Your body can get used to a low calorie diet meaning it won't tell you that you're hungry, even thought it is missing essential nutrients and fuel every day.

It always helps me to think of my body like a car. It needs good fuel or it won't do what I need it to do! Food is that fuel. Especially if you work out a lot, your body NEEDS a good amount of food!

This is where I am really getting confused, because the nutritionist is the one who recommended MFP, but also said there were issues with it. Basically she didn't want me logging my exercise, because if I did, then MFP would want me to eat back the calories that I exercised off, and I wouldn't lose weight that way.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how you have the energy to exercise with as few carolies that you are eating. I do not know your body size, but even if you are small I would say that is way to few calories. Try to increase it gradually! I am afraid your system is going to go in starvation mode.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    i don't have a disorder

Yes you do
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i know it's low but when i eat more it makes me feel sick i don't know
    i'm not forgetting to log anything and the honey was with tea.

Have you checked with a doctor maybe you have food allergies. Maybe it's just what you are eating that makes you feel sick not eating in general. I have a freind who couldn't eat wheat and until she figured it out it seemed everything made her feel icky. Just a thought.
  • ArienneE
    Options
    i've been eating like this for a long time it's not about crash dieting i don't see why i would give up i don't want food, but thanks for that.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    i don't have a disorder i just don't like eating, i eat enough so i'm not hungry or light headed or anything i just don't know if i should be forcing a change, i know that it seems really unhealthy but i don't understand how it could be, i feel worse when i eat more than when i eat how i do. i try to keep my net above 100 every day but even doing that is eating more than i want most of the time
    i don't know
    thank you for your input all of you i really do appreciate it

You don't feel hungry because after awhile of severe calorie restriction the body adapts and stops sending hunger signals. You need to see a Doctor regarding this. Resistance to seeing a Doctor is an indicator that you have a issue.
  • ArienneE
    Options
    yeah i actually had myself tested for allergies a while ago i don't seem to have any, but that's what i thought to.
    thanks
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I would feel so deprived on this.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I always eat enough to be satisfied and I never feel that I'm not taking in enough, or that i don't have enough energy or anything, it's just my net calories are always really low, so i was wondering if that's alright?
    I made my diary public so you can check it out if you want thanks so much for the help. :)
    I really don't think i'm overestimating exercise calories, by the way I usually cut minutes (for cardiovascular) in half or get rid of a quarter when i enter them to be sure.

no, it is NOT Ok. Your intake borders on anorexic behavior. You need to be eating MINIMUM of 1200-1500 calories a day. Your diary is full of missed meals, and it seems like you only eat a REAL meal every few days. You need to eat 3 meals a day, AND some snacks ( saltines are NOT a snack)

a more reasonable, and balanced day would be something like 2 eggs and some fruit for breakfast, a meat and cheese sandwich for lunch, then a reasonable dinner with meat and a veg .
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like everyone before me said: you aren't eating enough food. Though, I have to give you props for choosing what looks to be some healthier choices.

If you're having trouble with feeling sick when you're eating more... try to snack throughout the day. Keep a few snacks on you at all times, and eat every few hours. You NEED 1200 minimum to prevent yourself from going into starvation mode, unless previously prescribed by a physician.

Also, what I've noticed in the past is that I'm not very hungry after I finish a workout. If you're working out in the morning, try to eat something an hour before hand. Or even better, push your workout to the evening so you don't get that "I'm not hungry" endorphin deal for the entire day.

Please - please - please - try to eat more. Or at least try to find a few foods that are calorie dense (say a protein bar or meal replacement), so you can meet your daily needs.

You can do this - we have faith in you!
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i've been eating like this for a long time it's not about crash dieting i don't see why i would give up i don't want food, but thanks for that.

If you have been eating like this for a long time, I cant imagine that you would need to lose any weight.
    How much do you weigh? How much are you looking to lose?
  • ArienneE
    Options
    okay i'm rereading and realizing that this sounds bad. the only dieting that i'm doing is not eating junk foods but i've been doing that for a long time, and i haven't been trying to restrict calories. i'll try to up my intake over time i guess, just wondering if it was really unhealthy. thank you all, sorry if i misrepresented the situation and made it seem like i have a problem.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Well why did you post your question in the first place if you're going to shoot down everyone's response. You either -

1 - have a eating disorder and need to see a doctor
    2 - or a troll trying to stir up the forum

Really getting sick and tired of posts from whiny 18 year old girls starving themselves. Make a Doctor appointment and go eat a sandwich.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If youve been eating like this for a long time, then what makes you think you will lose weight eating like this if it obviously hasnt been working? If youre on this site to lose weight, then you should be changing the way you "normally" eat. Honestly I dont think you should be focusing on weight loss. You first need to learn about proper nutrition and focus on being healthy. Were only telling you these things because were concerned. :flowerforyou:
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Really getting sick and tired of posts from whiny 18 year old girls starving themselves. Make a Doctor appointment and go eat a sandwich.
    [/quote]

^^^^^^

This