My favorite spaghetti squash recipe! What's yours?

Options

Replies

• justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We cooked one for the first time the other night. It was incredibly hard to cut open? Is that normal? We microwaved ours and it 'forked' easily but it was a little crunchy. I didn't like the texture. Is this normal? Or I wondered if maybe ours wasn't ripe yet??
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BUMP! i dont have one but i think i'll get some great ideas from this post!! :bigsmile:
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wash it, cut it in half, scoop out seeds, put into large microwavable bowl and cover it with plastic wrap or a lid; microwave on high 7-10 minutes, depending upon the size of the squash. The squash is done when you can easily scoop it off the thick skin. Now the fun part--use the squash in place of spaghetti noodles--top with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese--yum! I like putting leftover spaghetti squash into commercial soups like carrot and ginger soup or a commercial vegetable soup. Very filling and very delicious.

Two years ago, I grew spaghetti squash and they were so prolific that I was hauling bags to friends to give away. Everyone wanted more. Fresh, home-grown squash are moister and sweeter than the ones I usually get at the grocery store. Can't wait for next year's summer garden!
  • vforre01
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have never ever ever ever ever has spaghetti squash this is inspiring...can hardly wait to try it
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. i bought a spaghetti squash at the store today
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I just tried it the other day and wow is it good. I found a good recipe on Pinterest-my other addiction. :blushing:
  • AnnofB
    Options
    We cooked one for the first time the other night. It was incredibly hard to cut open? Is that normal? We microwaved ours and it 'forked' easily but it was a little crunchy. I didn't like the texture. Is this normal? Or I wondered if maybe ours wasn't ripe yet??

I cooked it recently and liked it with a little bit of crunch, but DH doesn't. I read that you can saute it after microwaving it or after baking as well and it changes the texture. I'm going to do that next time. Or maybe we aren't cooking it long enough??? Hope someone answers who cooks it regularly.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    OOPs! Forgot to say yep, cutting any winter squash should be listed under aerobic activity under the exercise tab! Butternut has to be even worse than spaghetti squash.

Again, maybe someone will tell us the best way to attack one.
    :smile:
  • AnnofB
    Options
    whats it taste like?

It's kind of hard to describe. If you like yellow squash you will like spaghetti squash IMHO. It has a unique flavor.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just had to Google it to see what it was. Looks interesting.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump.....some great ideas!!
  • bima80
    bima80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laughablyginger
    Options
    I freaking love spaghetti squash! I am even getting my husband who used to hate vegetables on board with me. Its so good in so many different ways... sometimes I cut it in half and roast it in the oven, and add some sea salt, pepper, and amish butter to it. I could eat it every day. I also like to mix in things I get out of our garden. Fresh peas, bunching onions, peppers... and melt a little pepper jack or cheddar cheese. It makes amazing casseroles, I've put it in cakes and pancakes. Nom nom nom.
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas! I'm going to stock up and freeze a bunch!
    On an I-don't-feel-like-cooking night, I nuked some leftover squash with salt, pepper and a laughing cow garlic and herb wedge. Not half bad!