News Anchor Stands up to Weight Bullying

Options
1235»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Is sooooooo tired of hearing about this.... she just can't let it go and is becoming famous because of it. BULLYING MY *kitten* !!
    I just heard that she runs 3x a week .......suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure she does BAHAHAHAHAHA

This....except that she might be running - I ran FOUR times a week when I was obese, and nobody would say it when looking at me for 10 minutes....But yeah, she's definitely looking for attention, otherwise she could have answered him via email or ignored him...
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, that was interesting.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    She's a public figure. Like it or not, public figures are subject to all sorts of commentary and opinion about their lifestyle and presumed choices. Hollywood and the tabloids are much worse. Political figures get it all the time. Look at Chris Christie versus Paul Ryan in terms of the way the media treat them.

If you're going to be a public figure, grow some thick skin and don't whine about "bullying" because commentary on your lifestyle and appearance go with the territory.

You obviously have not heard the whole story. She does have a thick skin and she didn't get upset about his comments about her size. What bothered her is that he said, he hardly ever watches her show, but saw a couple of minutes of it and decided to let her know she was not a good role model for young girls.

If he would have just said, "hey your fat, do something about it", she would not have said anything. But he attacked her character when he said that she was not a good role model.

How would you react if someone told you that you were not a good role model?

You missed the point entirely. If someone is a public figure, they are up for all sorts of commentary, regardless of whether the person offering it has any knowledge of the situation whatsoever. All sorts of people who don't know Marissa Mayer (pregnant Yahoo CEO, had her baby) are attacking her as a role model and making comments that she looks too thin.

Doesn't matter what the issue is - too fat, too thin, drinks too much, too much makeup, dresses too nice, dresses too sloppy, has cellulite - the media and many people are quick to judge and offer commentary over situations they know nothing about.

If you're going to have a career in the public eye, be prepared for the comments that come with the territory. And if you're shocked by the comments from the public or the media - then you were pretty naive in the first place.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The email came across as polite but subtly passive aggressive in my opinion. Whenever someone calls out a public figure on their weight it's almost always because they don't look how people think they "should," not about how healthy they are. Like someone else said, she could go home and eat next to nothing on some super restrictive diet and she'd be slimmer. But if she was a normal weight, no one would make any comments on her weight. Without having any idea how that weight was being maintained. I'm a normal weight and people would probably look at me and think I look healthy, when in reality, I've struggled with bulimia for a year.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the letter, although offensive to the anchor, had good intentions. The man who wrote the email has an absolutely valid point. She is very overweight, and although we do not know if she has any health conditions that could affect her weight, she has a career in a visual art. I think she took it well out of proportion in calling it "bullying". Yes, he made a judgement based on her appearance, but hellooo...she is a TV anchor. For someone who was not hurt by his words, she sure made a big deal out of it.
    The guy went out of his way to write to her, of course it's bullying. Do you think she should quit her job until she loses weight? You're as bad as the dumb**se who wrote to her.

No I don't. I think she should get the frack over it. If sending an email is bullying, than so is your response to my opinion. He's an *kitten*, she's a crybaby, and you're an idiot. :sad: :sad:
  • lljksilk
    Options
    After re-reading the thread, and reading the information about the guy I sort of thought about it and feel a little differently.

1. The guy wasn't being a bully, but his email was somewhat tactless and should have included what he did in his post-shaming statement.
    2. The news anchor was being a crybaby about it and was butt-hurt and decided to bully the guy on-air using her position, when she could have just as easily used her position to show a makeover as the guy suggested. She could have taken the high road and done what normal people would do - delete the email and forget about it or act on it in private.

This morning I read a news story about a man who saved a family of 3 from a car that had gone off the road and submerged. As soon as the rescue personnel arrived, he left the scene and didn't try to take credit or make a scene about it. If he didn't need accolades for what many would call an act of heroism - she doesn't need to grandstand on her high horse about how bullying makes her eat and eating makes her fat which makes her get bullied or whatever her point was. It was tactless and shameful on her part, much more than the guy's email was.

Overall, people who are obese need to understand that discussing their weight isn't always a metaphor for "You don't look how I think you should!"

After dealing with obesity in my family and personally, I became much more health conscious. When I mention my feelings toward someone who is overweight, my heart is really focused on them being in a healthier situation so that their quality of life is better. The fact that they "look" fat is incidental.