What is the REAL paleo diet?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• VegesaurusRex
    Options
    To bring this back to Paleo, the point is that Paleo eliminates processed foods from the diet. The philosophy is that you can either eat foods that make you more healthy, or less healthy. Eating processed foods often makes people less healthy, because they tend to be less nutritious per cal than whole foods, and people tend to overeat them. Eating whole foods (and well-sourced meat is healthy in my book), is more satiating and nourishing, and tends to minimize over-eating.

Many people also really hate the fact that Paleo eliminates so many things. No grains, most legumes, soy, added sugars or artificial sweeteners. There's that ever-present "calories in, calories out" crowd, and "as long as it fits within your macros" crowd. But for me personally, I recognize that those things I eliminated are not only not very nutritious, but they are the very things that I tended to overeat on a SAD diet. I find it much easier to eliminate than to moderate those things. When I try to moderate those foods, eventually they drive up my cravings. If I eliminate them, I don't crave them. I am much more in control of my eating now, rather than my food controlling me.

What I really love about Paleos is their willingness to make up stuff as they go along and totally ignore real science. This has been the hallmark of Paleo since it first reared its ugly head a few years ago.

First, man has been eating processed grains for at least 100,000 years:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2009/12/17/humans-feasting-on-grains-for-at-least-100000-years/

Second, I have not seen a study that says processed foods, per se make anyone unhealthy. However there are literally HUNDREDS of studies that show that eating meat can cause chronic illness, just one small example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/12/red-meat-death-heart-cancer

Please answer this question: Why do Paleos ignore real science and make stuff up. What you said above actually applies to you:

"Many people also really hate the fact that Paleo eliminates so many things"

What you hate is that the things you like are shown to be harmful. Meat eaters just will not give up their addition, which by the way is fine by me, just so long as we don't get some nonsense like Obamacare where I have to pay for your bypass operation or chemotherapy.
  • flirzhja
    Options
    Bump
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is intended tongue in cheek.......

Can I throw in the mix that the cavemen and neanderthals rarely lived beyond the age of 30...so their diet wasn't all that good!!

martyxx:flowerforyou:
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Can I throw in the mix that the cavemen and neanderthals rarely lived beyond the age of 30...so their diet wasn't all that good!!

You may have meant it as tongue and cheek, but it is actually a good point. Really, no one knows WHAT the caveman diet really was, other than some characteristics like extremely high fiber (100g per day) and on top of that, no one really knows how GOOD the diet was since most of them did not live to be 40.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Nondigestible Carbohydrates and Mineral Bioavailability
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/129/7/1434S.full

Insulin-Like Activity of Concanavalin A and Wheat Germ Agglutinin—Direct Interactions with Insulin Receptors
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC433288/

Leptin predicts a worsening of the features of the metabolic syndrome independently of obesity.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16129731

I read one of these three studies("insulin like activity.....") , and the authors refused to speculate as to what the study means. Perhaps you could tell me what you think it means and why?
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options

You may have meant it as tongue and cheek, but it is actually a good point. Really, no one knows WHAT the caveman diet really was, other than some characteristics like extremely high fiber (100g per day) and on top of that, no one really knows how GOOD the diet was since most of them did not live to be 40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet ThaT WHAT THIS ARTICLE says . exactly shorter life span and what not. This article has the history and everything else. I hate fish so it wouldnt work for me
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think the paleo diet has a romantic appeal. It conjures up the image of rugged people free of the 9-to-5 corporate thing, and surviving by their wits in nature.

Over the years I have tried diets which appeal to my sense of wanting to reinvent myself in a huge way, and not just eat less. My latest, albeit several years ago was the French Women Don't Get Fat diet. I could visualize this diet culminating in me actually turning into a fashionable, trim French woman, drinking my soy latte at an outdoor cafe overlooking the eiffel tower. Earlier there was the aruvedic diet (yes I'm a kapha--go figure), where I could see my slim self in a sari, dancing around with bells on my ankles. (Where did the sudden coordination come from?) Then there was the Zen diet....well, you get my point.

I know that calorie restriction is hard. Restricting food groups, or substituting new foods for familiar ones which come with emotional baggage and personal history can help some people. I doubt any of these diets which promote a framework for eating that beckons to a different place and/or time are authentic. But, I get it.

My vegetarianism is altogether different. I do it because it dovetails with a deep-felt philosophy I hold with respect to animals in relationship to man. I never waver because it isn't a 'diet' to me. Whether it's trendy, optimally nutritious, or the most flavorful way to eat at the moment doesn't factor into my reasons for doing it. Other people might experience imagery related to the vegetarian way of life, but I don't.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes. But, did they die of something that diet could have prevented? Or did they die of an infection that today is easily treatable, or by being trapped under a rock or tree in a time before equipment to move heavy objects existed. Were they killed by an animal or a rival human? Did they freeze or die of heat exhaustion or drown or other weather related calamaties? More than just diet has changed since that time after all.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Yes. But, did they die of something that diet could have prevented? Or did they die of an infection that today is easily treatable, or by being trapped under a rock or tree in a time before equipment to move heavy objects existed. Were they killed by an animal or a rival human? Did they freeze or die of heat exhaustion or drown or other weather related calamaties? More than just diet has changed since that time after all.

Diet cannot prevent death.
  • _VoV
    Options

Exactly. Nature is cruel. It's almost impossible to know whether this diet would have contributed to human longevity in these much earlier times. And, unless there's a sizable number of contemporary elderly people who have been eating this way for their entire lives, we can't truly know the longitudinal effects.
  • _VoV
    Options

True, but I'm much more concerned with not being a burden on my family while I'm still alive. So, avoiding some of the diseases of Western excess appeals to me, even if I don't survive beyond an average age.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Of course. But nonetheless, they died. When they died at 40, there is no way to know how healthy they would have been at 80.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

It can postpone it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I never suggested it could. But it can prevent diseases that cause early death.
  • _VoV
    Options

I never suggested it could. But it can prevent diseases that cause early death.

Yes, it can effect how we live, even if it doesn't prolong life. That counts for a lot, at least to me.