When you want to say "screw it all".

Options
I have been very stressed these last couples weeks, and I have definitely noticed that I ONLY get insane sugar-cravings when I am stressed. And when I get them, they are very hard to control.

Sugar addiction is hard to get over, like any other addiction.

My question for you is:

If you are on the verge of giving into a binge, you're reaching for that awesome, unhealthy snack that you want more than anything else right then....and you manage to make yourself STOP, and actually THINK. Is there some thought that you think to yourself that helps you get control over yourself?

I kinda lost control tonight, but cut it a fraction shorter than I normally would. The thought that made me want to stop the most was just thinking about getting on the scale. But I have been having these "uncontrollable" urges everyday for the past week and don't know how to just...get over them. =\ My weight loss had been going along GREATLY and pretty easily until I got stressed...!!!

Replies

• wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater too. It's kind of like people who get stresed and then go have a smoke, only with me it's food. It's very calming and satisfying. People who aren't stress eaters do not understand.

To answer your question, yes, if I take a moment and think about what I'm about to eat I can control the urge. But, I don't usually do that.LOL
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen for the last 3 days. I have limits I impose on how much chocolate I allow myself to eat on any given day. In 8 months I have only gone over it exactly once. Yet in the last 3 days I wanted to eat a king size candy bar. I had lingered in the candy aisle several times in the last few days. I realized that there wasn't a single candy bar that screamed at me. I was just wanting to eat ANY full size chocolate bar. I was fixated more on the idea of getting a lot of it than I was on any one item. Then I realized that I would be eating this strictly out of stress. While stress eating is comforting, it doesn't afford the full capability to ENJOY the food. I decided if I were going to eat this, I wanted it to be a pleasureable treat rather than something I was shoving in my mouth out of the desire to cram it in there. I stuck to my predefined amounts and moved on. I texted a friend and told her my victory. Then today I was with the same friend and admitted I still wanted it. Now I want an entire can of almond roca. I used to eat it out of proportion like that. (I'm at the end of TOM). I still did not buy it. I consistently just talk myself through it. I want to eat it for the right reasons and with good portion control. Obviously that's not the frame of mind I'm in thus I will pass.

Recognizing my relationship with the substance and giving myself reasonable limits is my way of dealing with it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been very stressed these last couples weeks, and I have definitely noticed that I ONLY get insane sugar-cravings when I am stressed. And when I get them, they are very hard to control.

Sugar addiction is hard to get over, like any other addiction.

My question for you is:

If you are on the verge of giving into a binge, you're reaching for that awesome, unhealthy snack that you want more than anything else right then....and you manage to make yourself STOP, and actually THINK. Is there some thought that you think to yourself that helps you get control over yourself?

I kinda lost control tonight, but cut it a fraction shorter than I normally would. The thought that made me want to stop the most was just thinking about getting on the scale. But I have been having these "uncontrollable" urges everyday for the past week and don't know how to just...get over them. =\ My weight loss had been going along GREATLY and pretty easily until I got stressed...!!!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • npetercmway
    Options
    I have been struggling with this my whole life as well. When I made the choice to start living a healthy lifestyle, I started to ask myself why I wanted to eat something, was it stress, boredom, etc. If it was because I was truly hungry, I would eat something and log it. Logging my food has been the best thing I have done for myself. It makes me accountable to myself. If the reason that I wanted to eat was due to stress or boredom, I try to put it off (lunch isn' that far away) or do something else (get up and walk around the office/house). So far those things have been working for me. I don't always succeed but I find that having to log whatever I eat makes me think twice about what I am having, or if I do eat something, makes me take a walk around the block or some other exercise to balance it out. It is hard but worth it, good luck.
  • ggof
    ggof Posts: 41
    Options
    .. i remind myself of how unhappy and unhealthy i was before and of how far i have come and at what effort .. and i really don't want to harm myself like that ever again .. then i have 2 glasses of water and a carrot before i even consider an unhealthy snack .. then i have 2 crackers with honey on them and a coffee .. eat/drink it all slowly .. by then i am usually ok again .. and if not i have a diet snack .. good luck ..

.. i agree that logging it anyway (and all of it) makes u realise *darn, i shouldn't have done that .. or maybe only half* ..

but never forget .. u deserve better than letting stress rule u !! (i know it's tough but it's a new thinking pattern) :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The only way I can stop it is, not to have unhealthy snacks in the house otherwise there is no stopping me. Chocolate and lollies are my weakness.
    I avoid the chip, lolly and drink isles in the supermarket so I won't even be tempted to buy unhealthy stuff.
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing. This is all really helpful information. I'm gonna bookmark this page and come back to read this stuff next time I run into a horrible craving. :3
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try logging the calories before you eat it - i'm a wine/cheese/crisps addict and can easily go through a whole block of cheese and a bottle of wine in an hour or two if i'm dodging feelings. The only thing that really makes me slow down and think about what i'm doing is having a strict rule of logging everything before i eat. it makes you pause and really think how much you want it... rather than eating it and logging afterwards which then causes sheme/guilt and an "eff it all i may as well eat even more now i've already blown it" attitude.
  • larncy
    larncy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a touchy subject for me becuz I too am a HUGE stress eater. And I always knew I was kind of but it really hit home for me when my dad passed away unexpectedly this past year. I watched my mom not eat for days and tried to make her eat while all I did was stuff my face. And it felt like people must be thinking what is wrong with her...most people don't feel like eating when they are stressed. I gained about 20 lbs maybe a little more during this time and while the food at that moment comforted me...it put me at a lower level than I've ever been emotionally. As if I wasn't feeling low enough losing my father now I have weight on and I really got depressed about it all. I joined a support group that was mainly for weight loss but I had known a couple people there from out of town that has lost people as well and they considered themselves stress eaters so I started going there and tried to lose some weight and we often talked about things. It was my therapy at the time I guess! Anyway it took me a long time to get back to this frame of mind but I am here again and now I know when to give in and when to stop! Most times I realize that little treat isn't gonna make me feel better and Idon't need it and I distract myself or have a coffee or something until it passes. I have a keurig coffee maker and while I know you should still limit your coffee intake...those flavored coffees have really helped me alot with my sugar cravings. And I like that I can choose what flavor I'm in the mood for. Alot of times I don't cave in..I have found other alternatives that satisfy me but every now and then when I nothing helps..I sit and I eat that big choclate bar and whatever else I want and just get it over with. I know that doesn't work for everyone but right now the stage that I am in..I can control myself now..and thats the hardest part...finding that boundary when you know thats enogh or u keep eating..Now I know this is it..I need this ...I eat it, I enjoy it and move on. I do this once a week or 2 and its ok with me..it keeps me going til my next time...But it took me a while to get to that point....Before I'd eat something then go back for a 2nd bar, some candy, some chips, an ice cream and when I was done I had eaten 2 days worth of calories in junk. I hope you find what works for you and it stays with you. Theres nothing easy about it...AND like you said....unless you've been there you have no idea!!

Sorry for the long rant....I get carried away sometimes!! LOL
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    In a moment of weakness, feeling like I am going to lose control I think to myself: "Do you really want to gain back any of the weight you've worked so hard to lose?" The answer is always NO. That always gets me away from the temptation. If the thoughts/temptations/cravings/urgings still persist, I plan to have a PORTION of whatever it is and fit it into my day, or even postpone it until the next day if I don't have the calories left. I actually log a portion of the "naughty" food into my next days food diary. When the next day comes, I discover sometimes that I no longer want it. But it is relieving to know if I had wanted it, I could have had it. Not sure if this approach will work for you , but it is what I do. I used to be horribly addicted to food - carbs and sugar - but I learned to control it. I understand some people would rather abstain altogether and that is fine if it works for them...but for me, totally abstaining eventually leads to a BIG binge.
  • Eeyores
    Eeyores Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes.... Just eat the darn donut.. enjoy it.. then MOVE FORWARD, til the next week when i allow myself to do that again..... : ) But i have to be careful because it triggers the sugar craving cycle all over again.... : (
  • dizneedana
    dizneedana Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too am a stress eater and lately, I have been in constant stress. It has been a constant battle for me to not stuff my face. It is like a battle of good vs evil! I can totally relate. Food is my addiction! I have never drank or smoked but have used food as my 'go to'. I am still learning on how to combat it!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving junk and want to avoid a binge, I'll get up and do something. Go for a walk.
    Or if you're feeling rather hungry have a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Fats are very satisfying.
  • martintanz
    Options
    I have been craving sugary junk since before you were born, so I know where you are coming from.
    Are you getting enough exercise? It helps me deal with stress.
    Maybe blend up a smoothie. Reasonably filling and takes the edge off your hunger.

Finally, iif you really have to have something and you have been disciplined for the last week or two, do iit, but get back on the wagon right away. Years ago, when I had my weight under control, my wife would bake up a batch of homemade brownies. Rather than scarf them all down at once, like I did when I was out of control, I would cut it up into small squares about 1 " a piece, and freeze them. When things got really rough, maybe once or at most, twice a week, I would indulge. Yes, it was high in fat and sugar, but a small piece of something homemade pretty much did the trick.

I don't do that these days as I haven't earned it, yet. Maybe in another 15 lbs or so.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have these days a lot so I know what you are going through. and it's been bad the past few weeks as well. The only suggestion I can tell you is to not keep the food in the house that you normally go to for stress eating or binges. Get rid of it if you have it. I know throwing food away seems like such a waste but it is either in the trash or on your a**. Next, when you do get that feeling, like you need to eat everything in your house (and now those foods aren't there), go for a walk or clean something...any type of activity or movement. I notice that when I'm just sitting down, whether it be watching tv or working in the evenings at home, I get the urge to binge and just getting up to do something helps.

Also, walking will help ease the stress. Sometimes I find it eases my stress better than my normal exercise.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If I want something, I track it first.

once I see the numbers and how it affects my day/week net calories, usually I don't want it so much anymore.
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1st I don't keep the things I crave in the house, if I have to get in the car to satisfy a craving I'm probably not going to give in. The 2nd thing is if I give in, have something and overindulge, I write down how it makes me feel (physically and mentally). I have come to HATE that overstuffed feeling and have a much easier time controlling the cravings.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    1) Plan whatever I'm craving into the next meal.

2) Tell that whiny baby inside me "you can wait!" Repeat as needed.
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    What worked for me was honestly logging the whole binge on MFP. The anxiety that caused the binge generally didn't compare to the anxiety I felt as I saw my numbers go into the red, so after a week or two I've stopped for good (as long as I log in everyday, when I went on vacation and took it as "free time" I lost all control again).
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've used several tactics, and it varies with the situation.
    If I pass something tempting in the store I'll tell myself, "Yes, I can have it, just not today."
    I drink water first. I'm trying to switch from stress eating to stress hydrating.
    I'll eat a protein - boiled egg, cottage cheese. It's not what I'm craving, but for me, it's satisfying.
    When I JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT, I try to find the lowest calorie, smallest portion available, log it and eat it.
    And when stress is just too much, put on some music and dance!