Loosing at least 100 lbs on 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• kenya84
    Options
    I also have over 100lbs to lose, but I have a daily cal allowance of 1600? How did you get 1200? Did you customize it yourself?

MFP set my calories for me. I think 1600 is a little high for weight loss. The highest I've ever been told to eat was 1500. Everybody is different, but you might want to check your fitness settings. If your fitness level is higher than sedentary, your calories are set higher. I know that MFP breaks down the "fitness levels," however I was told by a few personal trainers that unless you are REALLY REALLY active like hardcore working out then your fitness level is sedentary. I was shocked when i was classified as sedentary because I was working out 5 days a week! So if you are not set at sedentary you might want to do some research and adjust your fitness levels!
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    This is a great thead. i have learnt so much in this last five minutes. Correct me if i am wrong here...the 1200 calories i have been assigned to per day is what i have to eat?? i have been trying hard to stay as far under my 1200 as possible, i had no idea i had to eat exactly or around 1200. Am i reading this right? Can someone pls clarify this as i feel like a wee silly billy right now :)
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 as well. I keep about 1200 per day and sometimes have 75-100 calories a day left. I always make sure to max out my protein and most of my carbs and all my water and more if I have time. When I go to the gym I try to not eat much of my workout calories. I guess you need to decide what balance works best for you. :)
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    This is a great thead. i have learnt so much in this last five minutes. Correct me if i am wrong here...the 1200 calories i have been assigned to per day is what i have to eat?? i have been trying hard to stay as far under my 1200 as possible, i had no idea i had to eat exactly or around 1200. Am i reading this right? Can someone pls clarify this as i feel like a wee silly billy right now :)

Hi :)
    Maintaining 1200 cal is the bare minimum a body can take - just enough to fuel it. If you go lower than that, it is insufficient for the body to function normal, and as such, will enentually tell the body to lower its metabolism to save whatever energy it has. Hence, you body goes into starvation and survival mode.

You can always up the 1200 cals if you exercise. Most people advised to eat some of your workout calories. So for example, if you had worked out 400cals for the day, you could eat anything between 1200 to 1600 for that day. Of course, since we are trying to lose the weight, logic tells us, we should not go beyond the max of 1600 for that day.

It's not a hard and fast rule, many times it's trial and error. Also your body may become accustomed to the eating and exercise habit. Then you have to start doing something different just to throw the body off balance and keep guessing.
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    Thankyou Cinthi this information makes sense. :)
  • souellette21
    Options
    I usually drink Honest Tea. It is wonderful! A lot of the teas are unsweetened, but there are others that are very low calorie and delightful. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. http://www.honesttea.com/
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started on my Journey a week ago today. I am also on a 1200 cal plan. I did choose sedentary I have 120 lbs to loose and so far after week 1 I have lost 10.5. I'm feeling pretty hungry some of the time but I'm sure i'll get used to it. So far I have not added excersize in but do plan to do so, I just need to figure out what I want to do.
  • tazzycatherine
    tazzycatherine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you had the option some where along the way, you had to choose how much you wanted to loose a week and they calculated how many calories, you also had to put how much exercise you were willing to do.. that is how they calulated the calories..
  • col0825
    col0825 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try Liptons Diet Green tea with citrus. It's heavenly. You don't have to be a tea fan to love this. Take it from a Recovering Mt. Dew addict.:drinker:
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Hi! You are supposed to eat a minimum of 1200 calories. I tend to stay under also, which from what I read is not good. "Your body needs at least 1200 calories per day so not to go into starvation mode." Lots of planning and smart choices is what I've learned. Keep in Touch!
  • 25anniversary2011
    Options
    Hi, I started on my Journey a week ago today. I am also on a 1200 cal plan. I did choose sedentary I have 120 lbs to loose and so far after week 1 I have lost 10.5. I'm feeling pretty hungry some of the time but I'm sure i'll get used to it. So far I have not added excersize in but do plan to do so, I just need to figure out what I want to do.

Hi Kim! You are off to a good start, congratulations on the first 10.5 lbs off. I feel hungry often too, but i grab a granola bar 90-100 calories or some strawberries, cantaloupe, jello pudding, fudge bar (45 calories), to hold me off until the next meal. As far as exercise, my hubby bought me a Wii for Christmas with the Wii Fit Board and Game. I use it about 3x per week and I am loving it.
  • 25anniversary2011
    Options
    So .......................... tonight I didn't feel like trying a new recipe................ guess what I ate??????

3 yes 3 :bigsmile: , Mission Carb Smart Flour Tortilla tacos with egg beaters and Oscar Mayer Turkey Wiener mixed in....;
    All for 370 calories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a very small breakfast, 90 calorie fiber one bar and cup of coffee and for lunch I only had 340 calories. I had some cantaloupe as a snack and still had 680 calories for dinner.

It feels like I cheated, :sick: but I didn't. :happy:
  • JuDurand
    Options
    Hi everyone,

From what I've learned, I believe that your calories are also based on your metabolism, which is the energy your body needs per day to get running. That amount is at least 1200 calories, so that's why we shouldn't eat less than that amount. If you eat under 1200 calories, you'll go into starvation mode and your body will keep it inside instead to burn it, so you could even possibly gain weight.

What I'm doing personally is eating 1200-1300 calories per day with around 125 g of protein. A woman should at least eat 75 g of protein per day. Believe me, eating all your protein, you won't feel the hunger at the best part about it, I've seen the changes on my body way faster...

Losing 100 pounds takes time... as you can see I'm almost there and I started on April 6th 2009. I believe that I'll get at that mark before 11 months, but I'll keep going as I still need to lose another 45 pounds. But give yourselves a chance and you'll be able to do it as well. Remember this, it is possible!

And also.... keep smiling!
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    ME TOO!!! I'm stuggling, I have a 1200 calorie goal, and can not seem to every meet it... I have lost 7lbs so far... in olny 4 weeks. It seems very slow... am I doing this right?
  • CABERGLUND
    Options
    I have lost almost 30 pounds in the past 2 months and am very proud of myself, but I have another 100 to lose. I also have the wii fit + and use it Alllllmost every day. My issue lately has been dwelling on the 100 pounds I have to lose and getting a bit overwhelmed. I need to take it one day at a time but sometimes I dwell.
  • 25anniversary2011
    Options
    I have lost almost 30 pounds in the past 2 months and am very proud of myself, but I have another 100 to lose. I also have the wii fit + and use it Alllllmost every day. My issue lately has been dwelling on the 100 pounds I have to lose and getting a bit overwhelmed. I need to take it one day at a time but sometimes I dwell.

I know what you mean. I am like wow, I've lost 20 lbs! Then I stop and think, I still have over 100 to loose! URGGGG. We have to remember that we didn't put on the weight over night so we are not going to loose it over night either. Like you said, one day at a time.

Congratulations on 30 lbs down, that is still a great accomplishment!
  • hotcocoa5
    Options
    weight watchers double chocolate muffins are awesome if your a chocolate lover! they are 180 caloies and 3gs of fat so try them also look for the biggest loser cookbook thats the best

They are good!! I have a weight watchers chicken cookbook with pretty good fairly low cal recipes. I will post a few sometime soon.

:drinker: Anyone have any suggestions on good low cal drinks. I try to stick to drinking water, hot green or kombucha tea with a tad of raw honey or plain altogether, I sometimes do propel or crystal light packets in my water bottle but i get sick of them quickly lol. Ok thanks! Good night all..

Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry is good, and it has no calories. I NEVER drank diet soda before this, but I've bought them so I can have "flavor" w/o all the calories.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 calories or less a day but then again I am a lap band patient. I am shooting to lose 50 lbs by May but over all 100 lbs total. Even being a lap band patient I struggle too. People tell me I have it made that it will make me lose weight by itself. That is so far from the truth. I am working harder at this then before I had the surgery.

I log my food everyday and I am hoping to make some friends here as everyone around me here at home including my husband eat like little piggies while I chomp on salad.

Good luck everyone!
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I too would like to lose 100 lbs. MFP gave me a daily calorie allowance of 1250. I agree it's hard to think of foods that are easy, fast to make and low calorie. I would love to join the group. The support and ideas of everyone will be great and motivational.
  • pricer15
    pricer15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Found this online:
    http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/1200_Calorie_Menus

I was given around 1500 calories by MFP, but for about two weeks had a problem getting at least 1100 or so. I am on a plan that (for now) disallows grains (all), sugar, and 'makes' me eat vegetables for breakfast. Ha Ha. I am not a happy camper. Can't wait to eat grains again, but program want me to avoid gluten containing grains - wheat, rye, barley. oats.