What's your preferred eating frequency?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I could eat constantly, I would. But for now I have the three meal, two snack, then late night eating that's way more a snack... Sometimes I eat a snack before dinner, too. Ok, I guess I eat all day.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat daily
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Preferred eating frequency? ALL THE TIME!!!
    What I normally do? What works for me, which is to eat several meals a day (4-6 small meals).
    You have to find what works for you. And, that can change from time to time.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    when I get hungry... I eat. When I'm no longer hungry I stop.
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    Constantly eating it seems just stick to my calories. Sometimes 8 times a day sometimes 2 and sometimes none but average is 4-5 times lol.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    To better control my blood glucose levels, I eat 6 meals a day of 300 calories each, at 6 AM 9 12, 3PM 6 9. I don't do this for weight loss but I believe that it does help with weight loss.
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    it really depends on school and work. Typically it's 3 meals and one late night snack. My meals aren't really one plate though. I jsut pick at different things and then include everything i eat as a meal. Does that make sense? I dont set up a plate and say "ok, this is my dinner." It's much more of a series of side dishes I eat over like a half hour.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have a small-ish breakfast (300-400 cals), a mid morning snack if hungry (100-150 cals), try to make lunch my largest meal for the day (500 - 700 cals), have a small pre-workout snack (100-200 cals), and then two smaller/ lighter servings at dinner (around 200-300 cals for the first, and 100 - 150 cals for the second). Generally I eat the second only if I'm still hungry. Also, the snacks are not mandatory, more only if I feel like need something to eat.

It's weird, but this pattern sort of naturally developed as I've lost weight. I think it's just how my body wants to eat, so I just listen to my body.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know its common around most weight loss practices to do the typical 3 meal, 3 snack thing (probably due to the highly perpetuated "eating more often speeds up your metabolism" myth), but I personally can't do it. I feel like all the times I've tried that, it's kept constantly thinking about food all day long, and never feeling truly satisfied or full after eating cos my meals had to be so darn tiny!

Lately I've kept it at three solid meals a day, sometimes two, breakfast being a small & simple serving of oatmeal with soymilk, walnut pieces & a banana. I prefer waiting until I'm actually a bit hungry, and then eating to my fill and not having to eat until several hours later. I enjoy my meals better that way as well, and I'd much rather save my calories to have a bigger serving of a hot dinner or lunch, than use them towards snacking on fiber bars or peanuts during the day (which usually don't do much for my hunger). But thats just me.

Anyone else have eating patterns that differ from the "norm" or are we all doing the snacky, frequent small meal sort of thing?

I ate 3 very small meals a day and a snack. I had been dieting for 15 years and did the typically yo-yo so got frustrated and developed my own "plan" eating what I liked on small plates, mostly healthy foods. One of the diets I did had recommended not eating after 7pm so I did that. Once I saw the scale going down and got a feel for how much less I needed to eat for the weight to consistently drop and realized I probably had enough to eat for the day I stopped eating at say 5pm or 3pm. I lost 40 lbs this way and my doctor thought it was great. I have NEVER been one to fast, in fact I didn't think I ever could because I always felt so weak and I thought it was not good for me. But I suddenly realized by stopping my eating early in the afternoon I was actually fasting 15-17 hours. I lost 40 lbs this way and my doctor said it was great. He checked my blood work and all my hormone levels were normal (for an over 50 year old woman). I was working with one of my super fit martial arts friends and told him I thought I found the secret to be "mini meals" and "mini fasts" so he told me to look up Eat Stop Eat (he had lost 30 lbs doing the same thing). So I looked it up and was reluctant to buy it even with my friends recommendation, but I finally got it. I learned that during fasting your body produces HGH during hours 15-24. I never did fasts longer than 24 hours. I lost my last 17 lbs of fat by doing 24 hour fasts (eating one meal a day). My doctor approved. I can't recommend you do this. Discuss it with your doctor first if you think it's something you want to try. This worked until I got down to 10% body fat (never been there in my life before, it was scary at first, but my doctor said I was fine!) Once a female gets down to 12% body fat then she has to worry about starvation mode, so I definitely had to eat more.

I've been maintaining under 12% body fat for over a year now at almost age 52 and all my blood work shows that I'm as healthy as ever. Now I skip breakfast instead and workout fasted. This is another thing I didn't think I could do. I felt weak and for the last year I've been telling everyone I can't workout fasted. But since I am too lean to do 24 hour fasts I miss out on the HGH production. I recently learned that your body also produces HGH when you workout fasted. So I decided to try it and get over my phobia about it. It's hard at first then you get used to it. Now I can't stand working out if I'm not fasted first (I simply go in the morning before eating). It only works with zero calories. Tea or coffee with no cream, just stevia.

So now my eating has evolved to skipping breakfast and starting my eating window at lunch time (whenever that is) and eating until bedtime. But I am no longer in the weight loss phase of my journey, I'm in the maintenance phase.

THE BOTTOM LINE: It does not matter what your eating pattern is. All that matters is the calorie budget at the end of the day. A calorie deficit for weight loss and keeping within calorie budget. A bunch of mini meals makes it harder for most people to stay within a calorie budget, but if they can still remain at a deficit it works, if they can't remain at a deficit it does not work. Simple as that.

Before and after pictures to see how it worked for me, eating less to lose at a calorie deficit no matter what the eating pattern, and working out to develop the lean body mass. End of story. Still eating at my calorie budget for a tiny person with only 104 lbs of lean body mass. Small people must eat less (hint, if you are short you are probably small under all the extra fat).

BEFORE:
    160.jpg

AFTER:
    Roberta_Saum_VT4_Front_1_zps2e9c1a89.jpg
  • GaPeachRealtor
    Options
    Eat when hungry as well which is every 2.5-3.5 hrs.

I do my post green smoothie every morning prior to work out and do a protein snack after and then it's lunch time shortly afterwards
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Almost every day, except for when I'm hibernating. Obviously, I just sleep through the winter months as nature intended.
  • GaPeachRealtor
    Options
    I also snack 3-4 times a day
  • pac4lyfe
    Options
    n/a
  • pac4lyfe
    Options
    I have a small-ish breakfast (300-400 cals), a mid morning snack if hungry (100-150 cals), try to make lunch my largest meal for the day (500 - 700 cals), have a small pre-workout snack (100-200 cals), and then two smaller/ lighter servings at dinner (around 200-300 cals for the first, and 100 - 150 cals for the second). Generally I eat the second only if I'm still hungry. Also, the snacks are not mandatory, more only if I feel like need something to eat.

It's weird, but this pattern sort of naturally developed as I've lost weight. I think it's just how my body wants to eat, so I just listen to my body.

I think this would work for me. I don't like to go too long without eating. I will try this out. Thanks!
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    usually 2 big meals and a few snacks over a 6 to 8 hour period.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I go with standard Breakfast,lunch and dinner but I put some snacks in betweens...Always checking so I don't go over my cal.
    I make sure I get my proteins after my workout etc....

Go fine by me...Losing weight,feeling great etc..so for now..I'll stay that way.
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat the 6 small meals of similar calories (about 240-260 cal/meal). I do not eat until after my morning workout which means I eat every 2-3 hours until 9pmish. At least one of my meals (2 if I am too busy to actually eat) is a protein shake. Since I started doing this I noticed my sugar levels remain consistent and while I never had diabetes, this feels best for me.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency is irrelevant. As long as you hit your macros for the day and maintain a steady feeding window.

I like to eat 2 meals: one before (30% of daily intake) and after workout (70% of daily intake). Fast 20 hours/day, eat within 4 hours.

Macros? Is that "protein, carbs, fats, sugars" etc?
    I thought that the most important was the net calories and the other parts that make it up is just a choice thing. I need to research this, obviously. How important is it to get your macros.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency is irrelevant. As long as you hit your macros for the day and maintain a steady feeding window.

I like to eat 2 meals: one before (30% of daily intake) and after workout (70% of daily intake). Fast 20 hours/day, eat within 4 hours.

I thought that the most important was the net calories and the other parts that make it up is just a choice thing. I need to research this, obviously. How important is it to get your macros.

Don't worry. You are right ON. It is not important to have specific macros. Calories are all that matter. Of course you want enough protein but you don't have to have extra, and all carbs is obviously not healthy, as is all protein not healthy. Part of why all the diets backfire is because of the food restrictions and messing with your head. It makes it far to complicated.

I succeed without looking at macros, just eating at a deficit and now a maintenance budget, and no magic potions or protein powders or magic diet pills ==> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Don't worry. You are right ON. It is not important to have specific macros. Calories are all that matter. Of course you want enough protein but you don't have to have extra, and all carbs is obviously not healthy, as is all protein not healthy. Part of why all the diets backfire is because of the food restrictions and messing with your head. It makes it far to complicated.

I succeed without looking at macros, just eating at a deficit and now a maintenance budget, and no magic potions or protein powders or magic diet pills ==> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Lol - yet again, directing someone to your posts. *sigh*

And you are wrong, From a body composition and health perspective, macros DO matter.