Should I drink Water?

Options
I drink about 11C of water a day 4C at about 4pm and 4C at about 6-7pm. The other 3 are with my protein morning, afternoon, and night. My question is, I feel like I'm retaining water, is there a specific time of the day someone should drink water? Is it bad that I drink 4c at a time 2x's a day? am I drinking too much water? any info on it would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I drink about 11C of water a day 4C at about 4pm and 4C at about 6-7pm. The other 3 are with my protein morning, afternoon, and night. My question is, I feel like I'm retaining water, is there a specific time of the day someone should drink water? Is it bad that I drink 4c at a time 2x's a day? am I drinking too much water? any info on it would be greatly appreciated!

Ehhhh... debatable on timing. Some suggest you shouldn't drink a lot of water with meals rather than between I say drink as much water as you want it doesn't matter.

The human body is 70% water - you will fluctuate ~5lbs through the day. If you're not used to drinking higher water volumes (which yours is normal) then it takes a little time for the system to catch up. If you feel like you're retaining water check your sodium.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    sodium is 784 out of 2500 daily recommendations. So I'm pretty sure its not that. After drinking water I'm bloated all day I can fell it and see it! :(

Would too little sodium cause a problem with retaining water?
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    BUMP for more help!
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    bump
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    wow the boards are quiet tonight
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    *crickets*
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    -_-
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    IS ANYONE THERE?
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, you drink more water to get rid of water. So if you feel you are retaining water, drink more water. Your body could be retaining water for reasons besides sodium intake.

One thing that I find works for me is to drink a cup of water spread out in an hour, instead of drinking a cup in 5 minutes or less. If I drink it too fast, I feel gross. I don't know why, just do.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Regarding a previous poster's comment- I drink all my water in between meals and it's helped me alot to learn portion size more than anything else.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I drink four cups of water in the morning before work, but they are spaced out so I drink two cups when I wake up and another two cups after my bath. My body wouldn't want to drink four cups at a time. Water doesn't cause me bloating, but if you think your water intake pattern is causing you bloating, why don't you just vary it and observe what happens.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do you have food allergies? that can also make you bloated

also dont forget that potassium as well as sodium factor in your water balance. so if you're drinking a lot of water, and low sodium you might have to increase your potassium a bit. i'm not sure though you should really ask a doctor or a nutritionist though since electrolyte imbalance can cause other issues.

also are you working out?
  • robpetrov
    Options
    Hi. This is my 1st post (although I have been using MFP for some time to track my macro's), and hopefully I'm not breaching any forum rules by posting a link, but, here is a link to an article on a popular site that I found interesting and useful, regarding water retention. Hopefully it may help.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/water.htm

Cheers
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    @dj- I drink enough water because my pee is pretty clear. And I think I'm going to try to drink 2c at a time instead of 4... maybe.

@Debbe- My proportions are fine. 3 meals 2 snacks perfect amount of food in each.

@opuntia -I dont really have time to drink small amounts at a time but I will try.

@Mesha- I dont think I have food allergies except walnuts. maybe I should get that checked out. Potassium is a good suggestion too. And yes I work out. I jump rope for 18 min a day so far... I up the min every week. I also lift light 30min a day. I know that will cause retention, but would it cause bloating?

@out- thank you for the link!! It helped a little but I'm not at a good enough body fat % to do that yet... but I will keep the link for future reference.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You don't retain water from drinking too much water. You retain it when you are not getting enough or your sodium is high.
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    You don't retain water from drinking too much water. You retain it when you are not getting enough or your sodium is high.

Sodium 700/2000- not the problem
    11/8 c of water - also not the problem
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    @opuntia -I dont really have time to drink small amounts at a time but I will try.

It literally takes a couple of seconds to drink a cup of water. Much less time than it takes to post on these forums! :-)
  • GreyEyes21
    Options

It literally takes a couple of seconds to drink a cup of water. Much less time than it takes to post on these forums! :-)

I'm on here at night and I dont like drinking late because I weigh in the morning.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When you say you 'Feel like you're retaining water'
    What exactly do you mean?
  • GreyEyes21
    Options
    When you say you 'Feel like you're retaining water'
    What exactly do you mean?

Even after peeing A LOT I feel heavy, my stomach feels large and heavy as well. It just started happening about a week ago. Nothing diet related or exercise related has changed. I'm wondering if I am lacking anything or if there is anything I can drink or take to get rid of excess water... not like a diet pill, but like some sort of tea? electrolites was a good suggestion, but all i know that has that is sugar?