Is running on the treadmill worth it?

Options

Replies

• kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Running an hour a day is quite impressive for a beginner. It will definitely make you fitter and healthier regardless of the fact that it's done on a treadmill. Unfit people can't do that, so you've already made lots of progress.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is definitely worth it! Keep the treadmill on an incline of 1 or more. Your running form will be better and the effort translates better to running on the road. You won't like it as much at first because it is harder and your pace will be slower. I run weekdays on the treadmill this time of year because it is dark outside at 5:00 am and I don't want to risk the injury or accident that will set back my running.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.

:heart: this post.

One of the first days I started running on the local rails-to-trails I weighed mabye 15-20 lbs more than I do now. I'm running and there's this rather big black guy out walking next to his daughter on a tiny bike with training wheels (soooooo damned cute. He sees me coming, and says "hey, how far are you running?" I tell him 4 miles, and he says "Man, you are a ROCK STAR, keep it up!"

Totally made me day :bigsmile:
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Embarassed? Try being the only guy in a yoga class full of women. LOL... The embarassment goes away the longer you do something. If you get out there and keep plugging away at it you will get more and more confident with it.

Running outdoors and running treadmill both have benefits and drawbacks. I use a combo of both. Outside when the weather is nice, treadmill when it's dark/cold/raining/thunderstorming. It's getting darker sooner and getting colder so my last few outdoor runs are coming up and then it will be treadmill season again, so I can understand where that's coming from.

Treadmill running is boring, no doubt, but it is certainly not "worthless".
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.

:heart: this. You've inspired me :smile:
  • sloanranger55
    sloanranger55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

:heart: this. You've inspired me :smile:

:heart: go for it CC :heart: I'm with you every step of the way xxx
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your end goal is. Cardio in any form will burn calories. Personally, I find the treadmill deceptive. I can run 4 miles on the treadmill, but on pavement it's a feat for me to run 1.5 miles straight through. That being said, I always feel like I experience a good work out on the treadmill, but I notice muscle fatigue more on the road because of the pavement, etc.

this is my experience as well... I have been running on the treadmill and outside for five months, outside is much harder and more challenging.. so much that I prefer my treadmill. I still get a good w/o either way.
  • BrettDillon1973
    Options
    For a better treadmill workout, try this -

incline at 1%
    set to 20 minutes (or whatever your time preference is).
    1st 2 mins is a walk warm-up
    from 3 min to 20 min alternate every min between a walk and a run (sprint)
    warm down for 2 mins at a walk.

You can increase the duration of sprints or walks as you see fit.

Try this every other training day.

:p
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have friends that train in the winter on treadmill for half marathons since they live up north in the cold midwest and do just fine.

And you are doing great if running an hour at time at that speed just starting out.

I'd do some cross training too. And when on the treadmill, you can do intervals and increse the incline to get a better cal burn.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Resistance training > cardio. Cardio is unnecessary. And there's 100 reasons why.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Resistance training > cardio. Cardio is unnecessary. And there's 100 reasons why.

It may not be good for u, or maybe even some others, but its good for me!! I feel better, more energized, it helps my severe mitral valve prolapse symptoms, relieves stress, burns a lot of calories, improves endurance, relieves my back pain from scoliosis and arthritis... Plus, I run intervals on a treadmill b/w strength training sets to keep my HR up and burn more calories. But to each his or her own :happy:
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Resistance training does all those things. It also burns more calories than cardio even after you stop working out as recovery is an anabolic and energy using process. Energy expenditure form cardio begins and ends with the power button (HIIT is an exception). Increased lean body mass increases BMR, stimulates GH/IGF release, creates insulin sensitivity through AMPK release especially post workout, improves bone density, positively affects sex hormone balance... and sex life.

It's not BAD to do cardio, just not necessary unless you're an athlete is a highly cardio based sport like running or biking. I only ever do cardio prior to showtime to bring up conditioning on hold my breath that long.
  • Littlegurl
    Options
    I run on a treadmill. Congrats on being able to run 5.0 for an hr! Maybe I will be able to do that eventually... I started C25K again. And I'm about to start week 5 of 8 weeks. I have been running on a treadmill because of the heat here, my asthma and pine pollen allergy and back issues (rods in my back due to scoliosis). Plus, I also love to run intervals b/w strength sets at my gym. However, I'm going to start running outside this coming week though because I'm going to be running in a 5k soon and need to run outside at least once a week to get used to the surface.

Also, remember not all surfaces outside are equal. Asphalt running is the hardest on ur joints, trail running is more difficult because of balance, and it depends on hills... The easiest outside surface to run on is the rubber material that most outdoor tracks are made of. You can usually find those at your local high school.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Both have their place and provide different benefits. Neither is better than the other.

Back on topic.

Most people who find the road harder are having trouble pacing themselves. On a treadmill, the machine paces you. If you can run an hour on the machine you can run an hour outside. You just need to find the right pace which is usually slower than the MPH indicated in the machine. My understanding is that the MPH of the machine reads high to give people a feel good response.

I know of one internet friend who trains only using treadmills. He ran a marathon outdoors last month and will run another next month.

Personally I love running outdoors. This time of year the deer are out, the hawks are soaring overhead and when lucky I may see a fox or other wildlife. I can not run 15 mins on a dread mill.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    WOW...if you are just starting and can run at 5 MPH for an hour...that is IMPRESSIVE!! I don't care if it is on a treadmill, it is still very impressive. Way to go!
    I agree with this!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You can run for an hour at 5mph? Really?
    I've been training for months to get to 5mph and I can only maintain that pace for about 40 minutes max...
    If you can do that, you can run outside and you shouldn't be ashamed. I've been running outside since August and I'm nowhere near as good as you.
  • Littlegurl
    Options
    Resistance training does all those things. It also burns more calories than cardio even after you stop working out as recovery is an anabolic and energy using process. Energy expenditure form cardio begins and ends with the power button (HIIT is an exception). Increased lean body mass increases BMR, stimulates GH/IGF release, creates insulin sensitivity through AMPK release especially post workout, improves bone density, positively affects sex hormone balance... and sex life.

It's not BAD to do cardio, just not necessary unless you're an athlete is a highly cardio based sport like running or biking. I only ever do cardio prior to showtime to bring up conditioning on hold my breath that long.

I do HIIT as well. I do it running, but I know others do another form of HIIT cardio. I just mix up what my w/o is to keep from getting bored, and alternate primary muscles every other day for muscle recovery. I'm also training for a 5k. I don't plan on being a distance runner. This is just one of those goals I want to reach.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Besides the "Just lift, don't do any cardio" people, the "gawd, I hate the gym, exercise outside with nature is sooo much better!" folks are annoying me.

Running on the treadmill is plenty good cardio. That said...

Don't rely on the treadmill to accurately tell you speed, distance--well, anything except the time you have been on the treadmill. If you really care how fast you are running, do go outside and run a specific length and time yourself. When I was training for my half, running outdoors gave me a better idea of pace, hills, endurance, etc.

But if you don't care about the above, keep on running on the treadmill.

But in terms of pure weight loss methods, it's basically the same. I prefer the treadmill if I run for 30-45 minutes. When I run for more than an hour, outdoor running seems to go by faster (but that depends where I run, and during my training, I went out of my way to go to the more scenic parts of my city, not just go out the door of my home).
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion based off what I have read into and been told by others.

First- You're being active, so automatically yes, it will do something for you compared to sitting and watching tv. If you are planning to bump it up you should have some good results so long as you're watching your food intake as well. But you will get an even better result adding some resistance training and strength training (even if it's light).

There is a difference from what I have read about running on a treadmill vs. outside and I have felt it before. I could run further on a treadmil than I could outside, not sure as to the science as why, but I suppose it's the resistance from wind and dirt vs running in place basically. BUT the treadmil is a good start. It will assist you in building up endurance, but the endurance you build on the treadmil may not go AS far on the pavement. It will help.

Honestly, who cares what people think about you running in your neighborhood. They're watching you get healthy, while they sit and do nothing. So what? It's better to be active and trying then giving up and doing nothing. If weather gets bad though, the treadmil is good just to keep you busy so you don't lose everything you worked for.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. But either way, you're being active and that's what counts the most. :)
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I run 5.1 mph (working my way up as well) with a 3.0% incline. My walking is doing at 3.5mph at 4.0-4.5% incline. I've already noticed a huge difference when walking my dog up this huge *kitten* hill in my neighborhood... to me, treadmill is def worth it.