Joining the gym.. how can I overcome my embarrassment??

Options

Replies

• RunXstrong
    Options
    I run early when it is dark so I go to a fitness club and run on a treadmill. I get motivation as I am running from watching people work out, and a couple people who motivate me the most are very overweight like you describe yourself. I say go and work hard and motivate the people around you! Work hard and you will look awesome the first day, even before you have dropped one pound. People will totally respect you, and if any don't then they are losers and not worth thinking about.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is that you do join a gym. Remember the gym serves a purpose and keep that in mind when you start gym shopping. Look at multiple places. If there is a Planet Fitness near you that might be the best place because of their overall mission statement of being non judgmental. Just don't go in there feeling self conscious because there are more average people working out than DIVA's or DILFS so don't even worry.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I so felt like this at the beginning, but, I put together a playlist, took my music player, put my earplugs in and just went for it. I am sure a lot of folks were amused or grossed out, I didn't really care. Now 50 lbs later from that decision one of the guys at the gym told me he is incredibly impressed by my progress, WooHoo. I don't think he figured I would stick when I first came in and signed up, lol.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    In regard to our perceived physical flaws:
    1. most people don't even notice
    2. most of those that notice don't care
    3. those that do care don't matter
  • Seahawk27
    Options
    When I see really heavy people at the gym working out the only thing that goes through my mind is "Good for them! They are being proactive and doing something" and I just feel PROUD of them, even though I don't know them. You can do this, I just know it!
  • Killsocket
    Killsocket Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't be worried or embarrassed. You are trying to do something about it. That takes guts. I always think I would rather see these people watching me busting my butt on a treadmill or something than to have them see me chowing down at a restaurant.

But no one is embarrassed at a restaurant.

This is something positive you are doing. Just do it. To the ones who judge: prove them wrong. To the ones who support: prove them right.

My mentality.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oh I felt just like this for years. I refused to go to the gym because I was scared of being the biggest and not fitting in with all the skinny, make up wearing, half naked, young things. I had an image in my head of what the gym would be like and it terrified me!

I went for the first time ever (years ago I had been to classes but not the actual gym) the other day with a friend. I could have vomited with nerves! It wasn't too busy (choose your times well to start off with) and you know what? No one looked at me. Or if they did I was too busy working out to notice. I am now addicted and love it. All it took was making that first step. I'm so annoyed with myself that I let fear overwhelm me for all that time.
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    It is normal to feel self-conscious when you first join a gym. Looking around and seeing most other people in such good shape can give you an inferiority complex - it happened to me. Eventually you start seeing results and you look better, feel better and feel more like an athlete.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I first walked into a gym weighing 375lbs.

I held my head high, and concentrated on doing what I needed to. Inside, I cried with embarrassment, but outwardly I kept my composure.

OK I'm still a long way from goal, but walking in there now really doesn't bother me - I also swim whenever I can.

Everyone is there for the same reason - to improve their fitness levels - no matter what your size or appearance, you ARE the same as the person next to you.

Chin up and go get'em!
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    I am one of those female gym rats that lives in my gym, and trust me...there isn't one of of us there that looks at new gym members that are over weight and/or out of shape and think "OMG. Why are they here?" We commend you for having the courage to start and honestly, look forward to watching the transformation! When new females start at my gym and stare or glare at me because they are insecure, or nervous, it irritates me, but when new females come up to me and say things like, "Wow, you work out hard" or "How did you learn how to lift?" etc, I am always happy to help them. From there on out...we have a bond, and say hello to each other in passing. It takes time, but you will NEVER regret starting. I was 206 when I started, and am so happy I did. Good luck and happy trails!!
  • ursulagoddess
    ursulagoddess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Only you can overcome your embarrassment, but have faith in yourself that you are taking positive steps to a healthier lifestyle. I've never worried much about what people think of me anyway, I have other things to do with my mental energy. Don't worry about what 'they' think, just find your own groove to happiness. I joined my local YMCA and started with walking on the treadmill. I don't have fancy workout clothes and I'm over 300 pounds. I'm sure I look like a big old meatball with arms and legs, but I'm there trying to be healthy and that's really the whole point.

Here's cute comic that might help (not safe for work) http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have been there but this is about you...people may look but I second several others on the list - when I see folks like I used to be I admire the tenacity and guts it takes to do something about it. Hold your head up and focus on your body and how it feels to be working on it...you'll get through it. Go a couple of times and you won't even be thinking about this any longer.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am one of the slim people working beside you. When I see you walk into the gym, I admire you for what you are doing. Just get out there and do it and stop worrying about others.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Judging by the numbers in your ticker, you're not *that* huge at all - Currently I'm around 307 and just under 6 feet, and I'm there several times a week.

I doubt if anyone is even going to notice you. And even if they do, and even if they make snide comments (which they won't) tell yourself that what strangers says means zero to you. You're there for you, and in six months you'll be real close to your goal weight, you'll be way healthier than today, and you'll be more of a hottie than you ever imagined.
  • angeljenn1343
    Options
    I started out as a 280lb woman. I will tell you I had fear too. I just told myself to suck it up and walk in there head held high. I have met many nice people at the gym who offer encouragement and have absolutely no problem answering any stupid question I have. I am sure I have been judged by a few however most people have told me that I modivate them. Deep down im still embarrassed however it is no longer embarrassment about being at the gym its only embarrassment about letting myself get to the point Im at. So before you become my size just remember that your health is number one.
  • enivedlliw
    Options
    I was embarrassed at first, so when I went to work out I wore a trench coat and those disguise glasses with a fake nose and mustache...

Just kidding

You know what, don't worry about it. As long as you are following the rules, cleaning your machines, not lingering on any machines, and making a good effort, you have nothing to worry about. The people that should be embarrassed are the wanna be bodybuilders that spend half their time looking at themselves in the mirror while building three times the muscle that they will ever need, carrying around their duffel bags with them wherever they go. What are in those duffel bags anyway?
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What helped me when I was overweight starting out was having friends to go to the gym with. The three of was were about the same size and we shared a personal trainer.Eventually we got to know the "regulars" that we found so intimidating, and found out they weren't judgmental at all and actually quite supportive. It was also nice to get the compliments from people who noticed our progress, I think we even inspired some people ourselves.
  • Mama_Lyn
    Mama_Lyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your embarrassment is the reason you are going to the gym. Anyone there who judges you, well, they're not there for the right reason. The reason to go to a gym is to work out, get a healthy body, keep in shape. That is exactly the reason you are there. You are going for YOU, not for the other people there, and what they think DOES NOT MATTER.

EXACTLY

This. Plus you get the added bonus of the "Mmm, she's dedicated" stares from the already fit guys at the gym. Total motivator when they're cute with bulging muscles.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I was terrified the first time I stepped foot in my gym as I had no idea what to do and felt very self conscious about how I looked. Now I am in there 5 times a week, and am one of those really fit women in tiny gym clothes who knows their way around the weights room.

No one ever did anything to make me feel self conscious when I first joined, but judging by the amount of people who have paid me compliments since, they must have noticed me. Now if I am in a position to offer assistance or encouragement to someone starting out, I do.

A lot of people who use gyms started out big themselves, so are more likely to admire you for doing something to improve your health. Just jump in, you wont regret it :smile:
  • shrinkingsusie
    shrinkingsusie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for it!! I highly recommend starting with a personal trainer. I know that it's pricey but when you're investing in your health, I think it's worth it. A good trainer genuinely wants to help and they'll show you how to use the gym properly. Tell them your concerns. They know that the gym floor can be very intimidating. I've been in and out of gyms for years but I recently signed up with a trainer and I'm learning so many new things. It's really giving me some confidence on the gym floor.