Weight Watchers drop out... are you ?

Options
Hi

I am have been on and off WW for a few years. I love the support of going to a meeting but they have made counting points so difficult. I feel that I am investing to much time to figure out what is what and I find it easier to just type in the calories and just watch how many calories I eat.

What are your thoughts and experiences ?

Replies

• leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I've been on an off of WW for about 15 years and I just kept gaining and losing the same 10 lbs. Their program is good but just not for me. Counting points is very difficult when you travel a lot, eat out often and entertain a great deal. MFP has been the only thing that seems to work for me. Counting calories, exercising and being accountable. With MFP I've been able to lose more than I ever did with WW.
  • jozzler
    jozzler Posts: 37
    Options
    I certainly am!! But I'm on maintenance now. I need structure and routine and this provides the control that I need for free!!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I had never gone to a meeting but I did follow it and was shocked at what they make you pay to track online! Lets say my WW relationship ended quickly. I think MFP is wayyy better anyway
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time losing weight on WW and I always felt like they were trying to sell me something. I never really felt like the meetings worked for me and they were so inconvinient when I was working 60+ hours a week. MFP has really been my lifesaver and opened my eyes to calorie consumption.
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    I'm a WW dropout. The points were driving me nuts. I also found that a lot of their WW products are very high in sodium and very sweet. I much prefer just counting calories.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    been there and done that ..........that is why I QUIT....I just want a plan to eat and NOT worry about how many pts this has or that has. Myfitnesspal makes it alot easier to just log what you eat and it totals it up for you.
  • Lisamba09
    Options
    I totally agree. I've been on an off of WW for about 15 years and I just kept gaining and losing the same 10 lbs. Their program is good but just not for me. Counting points is very difficult when you travel a lot, eat out often and entertain a great deal. MFP has been the only thing that seems to work for me. Counting calories, exercising and being accountable. With MFP I've been able to lose more than I ever did with WW.

well said. I cannot fathom counting points while I am on business travel or while I am on a business lunch. Tracking my food on my phone with fitnesspal. is a no brainer
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    WW lifetime member and decided that using MFP is much better and easier than counting points.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I dropped out too.
    1) I got sick and tired of calculating points.
    2) I wasn't ready to change my life and cheated more than not.
    3) At the rate I was (not) losing weight, it would have cost me thousands of dollars to (never) get to goal weight.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago and didn't like having to pay money to lose weight. The support was OK but nothing that I couldn't get from friends and family. I've even tried other online calorie counters and have enjoyed MFP the most. There's a real community feel here and I feel I'm not only helping myself but I'm able to assist others.
  • Lisamba09
    Options
    I'm a WW dropout. The points were driving me nuts. I also found that a lot of their WW products are very high in sodium and very sweet. I much prefer just counting calories.

oh my goodness!! TOTALLY!! Their products are also loaded with alot of chemicals and non-GMO foods as well. That was the primary reason I cannot support their plan. The points system is non-sensical when you should actually be watching calories/fat. and what is UP with them still charging $40.00 per month to track food and exercise when you can get it for free??!!
  • bettywin
    Options
    Yep, I'm a WW drop out! I did it for 12-14 weeks and lost 11lb. To be fair it is the most weight I've lost in forever, and I did keep very motivated, but I soon found I was tracking properly on MFP and became less interested with WW. My enthusiasm for nutritional information rather than propoints became obvious so I got rid of WW and am gonna spend the extra £10 a month toward gym membership :)
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I do both, and I like both. WW gives me face to face interaction, but I think the calories on MFP are more sensible. I could eat tons more based on my points, but I don't- I go by MFP calories. I follow everything on WW except for how many points I get per day. Also, the weekly weigh assures me that a highly accurate scale weighs me weekly.

Tracking is very easy on MFP-much easier than anything else I've tried.
  • LoveToCwtch
    Options
    I tried following WW online, and paying for the privilage. I stuck to it & didn't lose a single lb. I found it hard to calculate a lot of the points and so decided to give up.
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    WW is good if you need the group interaction but also when they changed the way to count points they made it more difficult as if it wasn't already. Keeping track of calories is much easier & MFP is free!
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I too am a drop out, but Im doing it on my own, meaning countin points on my diary..not online..i have invested in the calculator and I'm gonna use it ;) I like MFP too, but the calories on fruits and veggies are never accurate :(
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I joined WW when I was young because my parents wanted to help me lose some weight. I was about 14/15 when I first joined. It wanted to lose the weight, my parents weren't forcing me!

I remember the points and thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread back then. I was able to drop 20 pounds while a member and I used the things I learned to go on and lose about 40 more pounds before I slowly gained it back (obviously), now I'm losing it again.

MFP is easier to keep track of because I don't have to convert calories to points. Also, I like MFP much more because I can keep track of my macros and not just points. Macros are hugely important for me this time around because I want to maintain as much muscle mass through my loss as possible. Plus, it's completely FREE. Doesn't get better than that :)
  • csalter61
    Options
    I track with MFP but go to WW meetings for the group support.
  • jobee3
    jobee3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Me! I never went to meetings, but did the online tracker on and off for a few years with varying degrees of success. I also didn't like that fruits and veggies were free - I think I understand the reasoning behind it, but at the end of the day those things have calories!

I like MFP so much better for many reasons, but the biggest one is that if I have a high calorie day and didn't work it off, the next day is a clean slate with MFP. With WW it haunted you until your week flipped over and was very demotivating.

Plus I just really like the MFP feature when it tells you "if every day were like today, you would weigh X in 5 weeks." It motivates me to stay on track!
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love that MyFitnessPal totals various nutrients and not just points. It helps me see if which foods are doing what for me. Their tracking tool is great, especially on the phone. Of course, it's also free! I like WW, and never ate their brand food. But I didn't like not seeing the nutrient values.