Is running on the treadmill worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Resistance training > cardio. Cardio is unnecessary. And there's 100 reasons why.

Both have their place and provide different benefits. Neither is better than the other.

Back on topic.

Most people who find the road harder are having trouble pacing themselves. On a treadmill, the machine paces you. If you can run an hour on the machine you can run an hour outside. You just need to find the right pace which is usually slower than the MPH indicated in the machine. My understanding is that the MPH of the machine reads high to give people a feel good response.

Commercial treadmills are calibrated at the factory and the controller chips keep them calibrated after that. There is no reason and absolutely no attempt to "fudge" the numbers. Trust me--I've spoken to the engineers, the quality testers, and visited the assembly lines of more than one major commercial fitness manufacturer. There is no "grand conspiracy" going on. They are just trying to make good machines.
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The treadmill I use has a rolling hills function. The incline changes intermittently throughout the run, so it makes it quite a bit more difficult. There is a huge difference, and it's a much better workout in my opinion.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.

^THIS^^^
    Who cares wht someone who wouldhve a neatie thought thinks? THEY are just driving past you... DRIVING or maybe watching from a window... they aren't doing it. Anone you pass walking their dog or running will have respect for you and will likely greet you as you pass one anoher.

Out doors is harder but either way is progress and exercise so eithr is fabulous.And btw, ca'trun an hour at 3mph so YOU are doing great!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Resistance training > cardio. Cardio is unnecessary. And there's 100 reasons why.
    For you.
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I always assumed running on the treadmill was worse for you then outside. At my gym, people running on the treadmill are pounding away. I mean you can hear the on the other side of the gym. Just sounds so ..painful.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight just by running on the treadmill. About 5 or 6 years ago, I weighed 152 or so pounds (5'3). I started walk/running on the treadmill every day & soon I was running a full 5 or 6 miles every day. I got down to 103 pounds. I was extremely careful with my food intake (a bit orthorexic). I still run a lot, but my eating got out of control with school. So, of course I gained weight back. But, the answer to your question: YES running on the treadmill is worth it. I alternate between the treadmill and outside running nowadays. It's just a matter of preference. Does outside running do more for you? It works different muscles & you can definitely tell a difference between the two workouts. But, if you prefer the treadmill that's just fine.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm just starting and I go to a walk track for my slow jog/walk. I can't do the hills, etc. yet for running on a street and plus with a track you know it's 1/4 mile for 1 lap and if you get tired you're back at your starting point after each lap so you can stop at anytime! I personally don't like the treadmill running. It sounds like I'm King Kong or something - the sound is just insane to me. Plus I can't get my rhythm on it. I worry more about sliding off the thing! But lots of people like the treadmill because you can adjust your incline on it, and in that way you can burn more calories. Just do what is best for you and makes you most comfortable because by doing it, you'll burn those calories, lose weight, and get in shape!
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    My husband said he heard somewhere recently (not sure where, so no flaming me if it's not right) that setting the incline on a treadmill to a 1 or 1.5 is comparable to walking outside on often uneven pavement. *shrugs* So, maybe that's the same with running. I don't know.

I set my incline to 1.5-2.5 because I feel I get a better walk in that way.

Also...I've had friends who can only run outside because they get shin splints running on a treadmill...like-wise, I've had a friend get shin splints from running outside but not on a treadmill. It's all about what makes you comfortable. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I always assumed running on the treadmill was worse for you then outside. At my gym, people running on the treadmill are pounding away. I mean you can hear the on the other side of the gym. Just sounds so ..painful.

That's the sound of the shock absorbing platform giving way, as opposed to you taking it all.

Our gym has 4 different models, older to newer, with claims of no shock control to whatever term they gave the highest.
    The highest shock control you can visibly see moving up and down the most. With movement comes noise.

And the other reason for the noise, is they are landing more heel heavy since it is slightly shock control, just like folks getting really thick shoes and laying into them hard instead of running better.
    Now doing that on a machine with no shock control, very noisy too as machine is shaken to death since nothing is designed to move.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    WOW...if you are just starting and can run at 5 MPH for an hour...that is IMPRESSIVE!! I don't care if it is on a treadmill, it is still very impressive. Way to go!
    ^^^ THIS
    I am envious! I tried running at 5mph on my treadmill yesterday and only made it 5 minutes. So hard! *lol* I hope that I can get up to an hour one day, that's fantastic!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people with crappy form--outside/inside, on any type of machine. Also, a lot of the "thumpers" on treadmills are the ones either walking or running at a speed/incline combo that is WAY too much for them but insist on doing it and then hanging on to the console for dear life. Drives me nuts, but they get incredibly belligerent whenever I try to instruct them in the proper use of exercise equipment.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    the treadmill is how I lost most of my weight. Just put the incline to 1 percent at least ... heard chris powell say that if you don't have your incline at 1.0, then the treadmill is essentially walking for you. I would sometimes put my incline up just so that i was working out harder.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    the treadmill is how I lost most of my weight. Just put the incline to 1 percent at least ... heard chris powell say that if you don't have your incline at 1.0, then the treadmill is essentially walking for you. I would sometimes put my incline up just so that i was working out harder.
    Bumping up the incline certainly makes it harder (will burn more calories at a given speed), but keeping it flat doesn't mean it's walking or running for you. Walking or running on a treadmill at 0% incline is marginally easier than doing the same on a flat road, but not even as much as a 1% incline difference. I did 90% of my training last winter on the treadmill due to schedule issues, nearly always at 0% incline, and I was in great shape for spring races.
  • steftarver
    Options
    Way to go keep it up!
  • aubreydarko
    Options
    Well, I feel it all depends on what kind of shape you are in currently, if you add resistance from the pavement and running up hills or in the sand, yes of course you're going to burn more calories. I would start with running for a minute and a fast paced walk for 3 and build up over time, not everyone can run a 5k without stopping (me being one of those people)! Be careful who you listen to because in my journey of losing weight, I've heard a lot of advice and a lot of it was total crap!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was told it wasn't "as good as" running on pavement and I believe it. However... that's what I started out doing. First elliptical, then I made friends with the treadmill. And starting at 5MPH?? That's great!! Keep it up! Running outside can be harder, but personally I found it got easier as I kept doing it. Just do what feels right. If you are getting in better shape, losing weight, eating better - then you are doing a world of good for yourself.
    (Personally I get extremely bored on the treadmill, I just can't do it anymore!! LOL)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm most drawn to the bit where you said you're embarrassed to run outdoors. Shuck that fit.

You're running. You're a runner. Anyone not running is not even allowed to gaze upon your magnificence as you prowl across the savannah, lest you mistake them for prey.

The vast majority of people who will see you running will be proud of you. You may inspire someone, someone you don't even realize or may never meet.

YES. I totally agree with the inspiration. Every time I see a runner, any speed, any size, anywhere, I get that little tug in my belly and my feet get itchy, they make me want to go run.

But do what you need to do, treadmill or track or street. I've even heard of people running in place in their bedrooms to start with. Whatever you do, every time you put shoes on and move your body, you are a ROCK STAR. Don't ever doubt that.