Amanda Todd. RIP.

Options

Replies

• LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    yes it is sad.. but it was her choice but as far as the rest.... all i can say is lord of the flies.. people in general are sheep they can be herded around. but you get one in the mix that the others seem to flock to and they become and pack and they can do mean and stupid chit. to many people in the world and less and less structure... more rules less punishment... you punish your kids for doing something and u get in trouble..so trouble births trouble and or from some one else close to them. at times i think we are reverting back to animals. in a pack they have an order leader to grunt. if the pack dont like a member or another they either leave it or kill it.
  • hassan26
    Options
    I know That kills me
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    kids are evil little *kitten*. they should all be locked up until they are 18. it's things like this which makes me glad that i didn't have kids.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I feel sympathy for her. I also feel sympathy for all the other people all over the world who die every day from factors they can't control such as poverty and water shortages. For some reason a lot of people are crying over this one girl they don't even know, thinking they know her based on her videos/articles on her, but then those same people don't give two sh*ts about the kids elsewhere starving to death and everything else. This seems like just another bandwagon for white knights to leap upon, just like Kony 2012 or the whole Adalia Rose scene. Inb4"omgsocold-hearted".

:huh:
    What's the "bandwagon?" The OP simply said he was sad about the situation. It's called having empathy. And it's quite possible to have it for more than one person/situation.
    Example: My friend's husband died this week. Also, in my community, a 10 year old child was kidnapped and murdered. I am able to feel sadness for BOTH of these people. I don't think that one person is "more important" than another, one situation may carry more grief for me because it was someone I knew...but I can still feel sad for the family of the little girl that died.

Sigh...
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Completely heartbreaking. Rip angel:heart:
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in the bullying thread, but no one seemed to show interest.

Some people here really don't know the whole story. I'm not saying I do either, but to say the parents need to be better role models have no right to say that, because they know as much as everyone else does - nothing. Who are you to say that without getting to hear from all sides?

And everyone has made mistakes in their lives. The parents here saying she should know better should know that kids make mistakes. And webcaming and sexting is a common thing between teens. I think somewhere between 60-70% of teens do it(it was a hot topic on fox news a couple months ago.) Just hope no one else's kids have to go through this.

Most bullies are just as fragile as the kids they pick on. I hope they take this example to reflect on what they're doing and if they need help then to look for some.. Also for the victims to seek help when needed.

Anyways, RIP.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Bullying was just as bad as when I was younger. Except we didn't have internet bullies. Why are so many kids killing themselves over it? I got bullied A LOT more than she did all growing up. Hell I get bullied on the internet now by a certain group of people. Maybe we were just tougher back then.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    It's so sad what social networking can be...it's too bad her parents didn't help her anymore than they did. She didn't want to press charges. The district attorney should have...if that is how Canada works? Someone said they don't condone suicide, pretty sure none of us condone it. She just didn't know where to turn, she should have been seeing a doctor. Maybe the outcome would have been different. RIP
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Her behavior strongly indicates sexual abuse in her childhood to me.

Very said indeed
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Bullying was just as bad as when I was younger. Except we didn't have internet bullies. Why are so many kids killing themselves over it? I got bullied A LOT more than she did all growing up. Hell I get bullied on the internet now by a certain group of people. Maybe we were just tougher back then.

It bothers me when people say something like this. ^ How does that help? "I got bullied, and I didn't do this." How? Congratulations on being a different person.

As for the whole "Why are you all sad about this and not about kids starving around the world?" I don't know about you, but my compassion is not spread so thin that I cannot spare a moment to be sad about something like this.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options

It bothers me when people say something like this. ^ How does that help? "I got bullied, and I didn't do this." How? Congratulations on being a different person.

As for the whole "Why are you all sad about this and not about kids starving around the world?" I don't know about you, but my compassion is not spread so thin that I cannot spare a moment to be sad about something like this.

tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options
    I guess it's sad that someone felt so hopeless and lost they had to take their own life. Sadly it happens all the time so i don't know why this is getting so much attention. Either way, It's pretty sickening what comes up when you google her name. Lets just say horribly distasteful chest shot memes. Some people make me sick.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    So sad. Poor girl :frown:
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    A lot of people were bullied as kids from my generation and you didn't hear constant news of kids killing themselves over it.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A lot of people were bullied as kids from my generation and you didn't hear constant news of kids killing themselves over it.

Again- pose a solution instead of anecdotal evidence that your generation was so much stronger in the face of adversity. The world is a different place now, so even if you want to argue about differences in suicide rates or whatever, it's time to move on. Welcome to the 21st century- you don't have to walk uphill both ways anymore.

And before anyone can get their panties in a bunch over how passionate I am about this, I don't appreciate minimizing the suffering and deaths of others. It makes me sick.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    heartbreaking.
  • MissShancey
    Options
    He parents did try to get her help, but unfortunately, the kids continued to bully and beat her (verbally & physically) even when she got counselling and moved 3 or 4 times. This is not a case of parent neglect, it is a case of peer abuse.

her parents should have taken her computer away... and teaching her some morals and to respect herself and her body would have been a good idea also...

coming from a girl who was bullied non stop growing up ... everybody in the situation could have taken a little more responsibility...
  • xxloveiswarr
    Options
    My heart goes out to her family, and breaks for what she went through. My stomach turns at all the 'well i got bullied and i didn't kill myself' 'i guess our generation was just stronger'. Disgusting.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Definitely agree Jenny.

Key thing you said? "We didn't have internet bullies", so how exactly do you know you got bullied "A LOT" more than this girl? Just because YOU didn't give in to it doesn't mean squat. And I'm sure you don't know the statistical information about every person bullied in "your generation" well enough to state that they were 'stronger' than the current ones. Maybe your school or your community, but not the whole generation. With the media (television and internet) being so in your face second nature in today's society you can't help but find out about these things every other day, therefore people are more aware.

But I digress, suicide should never be an option, and it's sad that she felt that it was her only one. It's also unfortunate that the age of suicide continues to drop each year...
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Can you believe that bullies are actively posting hateful messages on her Facebook memorial page? One picture shows the silhouette of a female body hanging dead along with the mocking phrase: “Todding.”
    Then there are the other ones who posted things like this: “You want to bully. Go for it — but the RCMP (police) has set up an account for information on people who continue to bully her and it will be my pleasure to report you,” responded a Facebook user from Montreal. Whether this person followed through on what she said is unknown but either way it came a little to late. Police are asking people to stop posting inappropriate and hurtful comments and images online that continue to re-victimize the Todd family and others.
    Police are also asking tipsters to send information on bullying against Todd to amandaTODDinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca. So far, tips from around the globe are flooding in.