How to burn 600 calories in under 10 minutes

Options

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

And to those who cannot donate, I am sorry. But it says alot about you that you DO want to.

My sister was the recipient of blood following car vs train incident. It was then that we learned that she and I are both B neg. I am still listed in her medical records as her designated donor but I cannot donate into the general who-knows-where-it-will-go supply. It just floored me that it took twenty + years to decide "oh, maybe we ought not use her blood" when I had donated to the very same drive only six months prior, giving the same information on the same questionairre.

AS to the rest of the willing and especially the able, THANK YOU !
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've donated blood. Didn't feel the burn though.
  • KaylaMarie8
    Options
    I just donated this week. :)
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I donate regularly - have given close to 10 gallons over the course of many years. It's a simple thing that can save so many lives. I've heard that if everyone who was eligible to donate (and I realize there are many who cannot) would donate just ONCE a year, there would be no blood shortages. As it is, a very small percentage of people who are eligible actually ever donate. It's the "regulars" who go every 8-10 weeks that keep the system afloat.

Something to think about. Once a year is not asking a lot. (Again, if you are healthy and able.)

On a side note, it's the only time I ever feel guilt-free about eating snacks like honey buns and those little packages of donuts. :)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wish that I could! I have only once, but no longer can until i fix a few things :C
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I've always wanted to donate, but have a fear of needles that I am still working on getting over.
    When that's done, I'll for sure do it!
    And not for the calorie burn either, lol.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Donating blood is awesome, but as a caveat to the calorie burn, it doesn't happen in ten minutes. It actually happens spaced out in the time it takes for the body to regenerate that blood donated. This could take two days or up to several weeks. If/when you donate, I would not log those as calories burned. You want to be extra vigilant about getting your blood sugar back in order, so consume some amount of calories afterwards (usually your regularly scheduled next meal is fine) and drink a lot of water/fluids to help replenish your stores, but don't pig out on 600 calories worth of food, and especially not vitamin-lacking foods like the chips, cookies, and pizza offered in the donating van.
    Cheers,

That was my first nitpick: the length of time it takes for the body to replace the blood. My husband is told 56 days between donations.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Donate, donate, donate! I lost over 3.5 litres of the supposed 5 litres of my blood in a very serious car accident and was given many units before I even got to the ER. Donors saved my life and I am eternally grateful to them.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would donate and I"ve tried to for 15 years but there is always a different reason why I don't qualify so I don't even care to try anymore. I'm done with the whole system.

So unless it's for my kids or another family member or loved one, no one will getting a drop of blood from me willingly. Hopefully my family/friends will never need blood though.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    About 30 years ago when I had recently got divorced and not knowing anythng about welfare help (I had 2 kids) and needed extra money, I would sell plasma and it would help alot....

These days, I'm employed (15 years at same job) and I donate as often as I can....I help anybody I can these days....
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I cannot donate blood because I have an immune disorder. I have to do infusions that are made from plasma. So I just want to say thank you to all of you that donate blood.

Plasma donations pay $30 for your time. I use to do it twice a week, every week for the money... It is a good thing to do too.
  • BleauBlayzes
    Options
    It's a good thing other people don't feel as you do. If you needed blood and no one donated, I guess you'd be out of luck, huh.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    For the low blood pressure person -- I have low blood pressure, too! I frequently measure at 100 over 60, which is the bare minimum needed to donate. My advice is to drink a liter of water and eat a bag of pretzels before you donate. :)

Also, where is the 56 days between donations standard? Here (in Israel), they say to wait three months between donations. I was also messing about on the internet and saw that women here are told to wait 6 months after giving birth before donating, but in other places (I think the US), it's only six weeks.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I think this is a cute post to bring up blood donation. I really should go regularly to donate.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would gladly give blood but they refuse me every time I go because I'm 0.1 short in hemoglobin. Bummer.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    For the low blood pressure person -- I have low blood pressure, too! I frequently measure at 100 over 60, which is the bare minimum needed to donate. My advice is to drink a liter of water and eat a bag of pretzels before you donate. :)

Also, where is the 56 days between donations standard? Here (in Israel), they say to wait three months between donations. I was also messing about on the internet and saw that women here are told to wait 6 months after giving birth before donating, but in other places (I think the US), it's only six weeks.

I googled American Red Cross which is a huge name for blood donation in the US. They say 56 days. No clue why the difference.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    does it have to be my blood??????

LOL
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I've always wanted to donate, but have a fear of needles that I am still working on getting over.
    When that's done, I'll for sure do it!
    And not for the calorie burn either, lol.

Go volunteer at the hospital and visit a children's transfusion center... you may re-consider your fear of needles.
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but unfortunately I cannot because of the rules/laws. :(
    Do you happen to be gay? I hate that stupid rule!!! It's outdated and doesn't make any ****ing sense. I apologize if me asking comes off as calling you out, I am just curious! :)

Just to note, I also realize there are other reasons for being unable to donate, I was just wondering if anyone here can't donate for that reason. Sorry you can't donate, either way, but it's great that you would if you could!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I was donating blood every 8 weeks but now I'm donating plasma. No one else in my family will donate either of them and it is very disappointing to me. I'm O positive and I'm happy to help.