Dear short people -- we don't need to starve ourselves!

Options

Replies

• curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I had to increase my calories to start losing; eating 1200 was not doing anything for me---decided to increase my calorie to 1400 and finally the scale started moving
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. I bought a diet book which had some calculations to determine how many calories you should eat . . I am 5'1" and according to the book I should have just 900 calories.

Crazzzzy meeee ...I went ahead with it for 2 weeks at first I lost 4 pounds quick like in 10 days and then it just stopped. I was weak, cranky and almost always had a headache . . . Now I eat 1300 calories on rest days and 1400-1500 on workout days. . .When you lose weight slow and steady . . It doesn't fluctuate, it's safer and healthier.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Love yourself !
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft3 and eat 2200 calories to lose.
    1200 would kill me xD

O.O Wow, that's amazing! I don't think I've ever seen someone our height on here who is able to eat that amount. Lucky you!!! :)

Eh 2 jobs, full time student. army physical training, and walk everywhere I go xD Constantly moving!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10' and keeping it near 1200 or less and don't seem to be getting anywhere....maybe I should increase my calories...thanks for the tip

You're welcome! Try upping it in small increments and see what happens...maybe do 1300 calories consistently for a few weeks, and then if you're still not seeing results, make it 1400. Often when weight loss stalls, the problem is that we're eating too little rather than too much.

for awhile there I went out to dinner every night (about 1800 cals per day) and gained 5 lbs over 2 weeks (I did have more energy after eating that dinner out ,also, which is why I did that)...then went to what I am now and lost it all but am stalled right now

I will try your tip, thanks

So according to your recent experience- 1800 per day caused you to gain 2 1/2 pounds per week. Since it takes 500 cals less per day to LOSE one pound in a week, 1300 cals per day would still result in a GAIN of 1 1/2 pounds per week. Not sure if I would try adding MORE calories at this point.

Most likely, you are not measuring and logging accurately, and are under-estimating what you are actually eating. Try being more diligent on measuring and weighing everything, and make sure you log every thing you eat or drink.

Also, add some physical activity, but do NOT eat back your exercise calories. If you are exercising HARD, and are getting hungry by the end of the day, then you can have a few more healthy calories (few=50 -100) (healthy=lean protein, fruit, nuts. NOT junk food)

If you have more than 20-30 pounds to lose, you have plenty of extra stored fat to fuel your body without going into the dreaded 'starvation mode'. Your metabolism will not slow down that drastically, that quickly when you have extra weight and are only 2 weeks into your program. Give it more time before you start panicking and start eating more calories, and possibly gaining even more weight.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you work out to build up extra cals that you can eat? Or just eat that much and no fitness and still lose?

I can eat 1600 a day with no exercise and lose each week. If I exercise, I eat back at least half of my exercise calories, so on those days I'm eating 1700-1800 calories depending on how much I'm burning.

Cool, thanks for answering. I've always struggled to lose no matter how much or little I eat, think I just need to experiment with different amounts more and work out what's right for me. Good for you!
  • Moveit80
    Moveit80 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    SO true!!! I was at 1,200 calories or about there a lot in the beginning. I actually kept gaining weight!! YIKES!! My body just stored fat. It's hard enough having imbalanced hormones too. I'd rather eat more. :]
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10' and keeping it near 1200 or less and don't seem to be getting anywhere....maybe I should increase my calories...thanks for the tip

I just checked your profile and saw your age is 61. At your height and your age, you will most like have to eat BELOW 1200 per day to see any significant weightloss, unless you are exercising at a very high level. Sorry, but your metabolism is quite a bit slower than a 20 yr old's. Look for other women your age on here who have lost weight and find out what their calorie level is. I have a few on my friend list in their 50s or more, and I am 49 myself. Feel free to friend request me if you like.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3. I started out at 1200 and stalled. I am now netting 1400-1500 and am back on track!! And much much happier!!
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and have been maintaining my weight (since December) at about 1800-1900 calories a day (with a minimal loss of about 7 pounds over the course of this year).
  • sweetalker
    sweetalker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try upping it in small increments and see what happens...maybe do 1300 calories consistently for a few weeks, and then if you're still not seeing results, make it 1400. Often when weight loss stalls, the problem is that we're eating too little rather than too much.

Bears repeating... I wish more people realized this.
  • levstein
    Options
    I am 5ft 2in and eat 1200 cals per day. I exercise 6/7 days a week and don't eat back any exercise calories. I eat so much food every day to get up to 1200 cals. I eat mostly healthy foods( my diary is open if you wish to check it out) I don't know where you get the idea that 1200 cals is starving yourself. I've been on here for 102 days and have lost 32 lbs. I lose around 2lbs every week and have only felt hungry a couple of times throughout this journey and that's been when I''ve been low on protein. I have upped my protein and try to eat "healthy" carbs.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11. Losing at 1700 calories and I am now bulking at 2100 calories.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Y'all are lucky! I'm 5'2.5" (hey, the half is important at our size!) and I've been really struggling. I couldn't find any calorie level that let me lose, so I finally got my Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) tested. 1207. *kicks some really big rocks*. I'm still trying to decide how to work it out so that I DON'T get stuck eating 1200 (or less) forever! :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 2in and eat 1200 cals per day. I exercise 6/7 days a week and don't eat back any exercise calories. I eat so much food every day to get up to 1200 cals. I eat mostly healthy foods( my diary is open if you wish to check it out) I don't know where you get the idea that 1200 cals is starving yourself. I've been on here for 102 days and have lost 32 lbs. I lose around 2lbs every week and have only felt hungry a couple of times throughout this journey and that's been when I''ve been low on protein. I have upped my protein and try to eat "healthy" carbs.

It's great that you can get full off 1200 calories, but many people cannot. I also don't understand why someone would set such a low goal if they can still lose eating more. I personally would not be even remotely satisfied with just 1200 calories -- if you're in your late teens to early 20's, it amounts to starving because your body needs more nutrients than that to finish developing properly.
  • levstein
    Options

It's great that you can get full off 1200 calories, but many people cannot. I also don't understand why someone would set such a low goal if they can still lose eating more. I personally would not be even remotely satisfied with just 1200 calories -- if you're in your late teens to early 20's, it amounts to starving because your body needs more nutrients than that to finish developing properly.
  • levstein
    Options
    Actually I'm a little older that teenager I'm 53 lol and MFP set my calories at 1200 per day and every time I lose 10 lbs MFP asks if I want to recalculate my goals and I say yes and it remains at 1200. I take a multivitamin & mineral tablet and omega 3,6 & 9 capsule every day as it's impossible to get all the nutrients needed for a healthy body from eating food. I tried working out my calories using "in place of a road map" instructions and it came up with almost the same amount. I feel full of energy healthy fit and eat at mealtimes and snacks in between so it's obviously right for me. I think as we get older we need less food.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I find if I restrict my calorie intake too severly throughout the week I will have an uncontrollable midnight binge on Sunday evening and undo all the work and discomfort of the whole week. Better to eat sensibly every day I know. My MFP is around 1500.

If I hold some calories back per day I can stop evening hunger with a small supper before bedtime which is my weakest time of day.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I just checked your profile and saw your age is 61. At your height and your age, you will most like have to eat BELOW 1200 per day to see any significant weightloss, unless you are exercising at a very high level. Sorry, but your metabolism is quite a bit slower than a 20 yr old's. Look for other women your age on here who have lost weight and find out what their calorie level is. I have a few on my friend list in their 50s or more, and I am 49 myself. Feel free to friend request me if you like.

I am 51 and 5'2" and have been losing at1600 a day. I have rarely gone lower than 1300 and am often higher than 1800 per day. I have lost 27 pounds since January.
  • LadyI06
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I'm 18 and I weigh 142 pounds. I'm overweight so I wanted to lose 25-30 pounds more. Is that okay? Or is that too much?
    I've been working out 3x a week in 45mins and I have school so I go out probably everyday. So far, I've lost 9 pounds within 4 weeks. I managed to eat healthier choices like salad veggies, teas and fruits. And I didn't go beyond 1200 calories. I'm not logging too much here as lately I don't have much time. So should I lessen or add calories to my diet?

Btw, at my first week in dieting, I feel so hungry. But then when I worked my routine at the second week, I can't feel starvation any more up until today. I usually drink tea and make marmalade sandwich at breakfast. Then I usually eat salad, tuna and bread with an apple at lunch. My breakfast and lunch are sometimes switching though. Then at dinner I eat pasta, or salad or rice with toppings, or bread or vegetable soup and any fruit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    for awhile there I went out to dinner every night (about 1800 cals per day) and gained 5 lbs over 2 weeks (I did have more energy after eating that dinner out ,also, which is why I did that)...then went to what I am now and lost it all but am stalled right now

I will try your tip, thanks

So according to your recent experience- 1800 per day caused you to gain 2 1/2 pounds per week. Since it takes 500 cals less per day to LOSE one pound in a week, 1300 cals per day would still result in a GAIN of 1 1/2 pounds per week. Not sure if I would try adding MORE calories at this point.

I'd be willing to bet it was the "went out to dinner every night" that caused a temporary gain. Restaurant food is notoriously high in sodium, not true weight gain.

Hell, I've gained as much as 8 pounds overnight from some high sodium foods, and I know damn well I didn't eat 28000 extra calories. :laugh:

I'm 5'5 so I'm not exactly short, but I'm 40 years old and lose weight at 2000 calories a day.